Newbie has some questions. Again :)

8InchFloppyDick

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2020
Dear All,

The renders below are WIP sketches of scenes in a VN RenPy game I might starting working on in earnest soon. Though I feel I have gained a reasonable grasp of the Daz basics over the past few weeks, these renders threw up some questions for me.

Question 1.

rotunda-14.jpeg

In this render, my MC is waiting for somebody while thinking about stuff. The question is about the lighting. Lighting this scene with just the HDRI made everything too dark... increasing the HDRI light washed out the walls/arches in the background. As a solution I chose to add a blue spot light to light the MC while keeping the HDRI light low. Unfortunately the metal on the sword scabbard didn't pick up much in the way of light... and I want it to have a bit of 'sparkle' and 'presence' as the sword is important to the story. I added a second blue spot to get more reflections off the scabbard... but that was v tricky as it added too much light into the rest of the composition and created a blue cast on the bench. Not good.

How would one go about lighting this scene in such a way as to have the sword be more prominent?

Question 2.

pond-BJ-03.jpeg

I this render we're having some fun at the edge of a pond in the middle of nowhere. Again there's a lighting issue. The scene is lit only with an HDRI. I feel that the grass is too bright but reducing the HDRI light output not only makes the characters darker, but the whole scene then feels less 'summery'. The tonal value of the grass on the ground seems to be off, it's too light green. Is there a way to have the grass be less 'light' without resorting to post-processing trickery?

Question 3.

In the BJ render above... ideally I'd have the characters posed on some sort of sheet/blanket/cloak. For bonus effect I'd want the blowjobee to scrunch up the cloak with her fist. How would I go about modelling such a scunchable prop? Could it be done with dForce somehow? (dForce being something in Daz I'm still very ignorant of).

Any help and suggestions regarding these questions would be awesome - Many thanks :)

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
1) The lightning feels off. Theres a large brazier to the right of the MC, but it doesnt seem to give much light as the MCs shadow is to the right as well. I would try putting a large orange point light inside of the brazier and see if it lights op the character nicely. Put the HDRI down pretty low (I assume its supposed to be a night pick, its fine if parts of the picture is pretty dark and details are lost). You can always move the brazier and the light around to light up the character how you want it

For lightning up the blade you could use a blueish sunlight coming from the left (to somewhat create a moonlight effect) but don't put it to high, or put another orange light to the left to create the illusion that there is another brazier there outside of the picture.

2) Look what difuse map is used for the grass. You got to do some research to find out where its stored, but when you find it just open it in any paint program (photoshop, GIMP, or even paint should fine) and just make it darker.

3) No idea really. I'm not a big DAZ user myself but my first instinct would be no as Dforce is more a physics thing (like grafity or wind) and not really for creating wrinkles by human force. I could be wrong though.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
1)
so I would keep the HDR just because it allows the windows to be visible, or so i would test.
Then I would set up fake lights for the fires. The trick with these light is, the light must be physically large. They don't need to be bright but they need to be physically large. The larger they are the softer the shadows they make, the more it seems like a warm glow. this would be a mix of red and yellow lights (yellow lights being half the size of the reds) just to add variety
to make the place seem more magical and just to add more lighting, I would again use some soft lights, but they may be spot light that are low to the ground, pointing to the ground and wide, the idea is to illuminate the ground kinda like in Skyrim. Fog can help with this. With this blue glow on the ground, mostly in the pond area, then you can just place a soft (aka physically large) blue/white light to the right of the screen to illuminate the character.
Then to make the sword stand out, have a more pure white light next to the hilt of the sword, so that it is a different color and the contrast makes it stand out.

2 you could render 2 images. 1 with the background bright, but transparent, the second with the background dim, and the idea is you can just stick one image ontop of the other so the characters can be well lit and the background can be darker.

3 I am sure it can be done, I have seen similar effects, but I use mostly blender so I can't say about the Daz process to do this.