No Matching GL pixel format available

Mitchwtn

Aug 24, 2018
Tried running a couple of different games thru wine on linux, which has worked in the past but this is a new install...getting this error.. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 186, in script call
call _gl_test
File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 361, in script
$ __gl_test()
File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 361, in <module>
$ __gl_test()
File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 287, in _m1_00gltest__gl_test
_gl_performance_test()
File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 304, in _gl_performance_test
ui.interact(suppress_underlay=False, suppress_overlay=False)
error: No matching GL pixel format available

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "Z:\home\\Downloads\Second-happiness-23-all\Second_happiness-2.3-all\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 277, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "Z:\home\\Downloads\Second-happiness-23-all\Second_happiness-2.3-all\renpy\main.py", line 478, in main
run(restart)
File "Z:\home\\Downloads\Second-happiness-23-all\Second_happiness-2.3-all\renpy\main.py", line 144, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "Z:\home\\Downloads\Second-happiness-23-all\Second_happiness-2.3-all\renpy\execution.py", line 734, in run_context
context.run()
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 186, in script call
call _gl_test
File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 361, in script
$ __gl_test()
File "Z:\home\\Downloads\Second-happiness-23-all\Second_happiness-2.3-all\renpy\ast.py", line 805, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "Z:\home\\Downloads\Second-happiness-23-all\Second_happiness-2.3-all\renpy\python.py", line 1641, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 361, in <module>
$ __gl_test()
File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 287, in _m1_00gltest__gl_test
_gl_performance_test()
File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 304, in _gl_performance_test
ui.interact(suppress_underlay=False, suppress_overlay=False)
File "Z:\home\\Downloads\Second-happiness-23-all\Second_happiness-2.3-all\renpy\ui.py", line 278, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "Z:\home\\Downloads\Second-happiness-23-all\Second_happiness-2.3-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 2465, in interact
self.start()
File "Z:\home\\Downloads\Second-happiness-23-all\Second_happiness-2.3-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 1643, in start
self.set_mode()
File "Z:\home\\Downloads\Second-happiness-23-all\Second_happiness-2.3-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 1877, in set_mode
if draw.set_mode(virtual_size, physical_size, fullscreen):
File "Z:\home\\Downloads\Second-happiness-23-all\Second_happiness-2.3-all\renpy\display\swdraw.py", line 758, in set_mode
self.screen = pygame.display.set_mode((scaled_width, scaled_height), fsflag, 32)
File "pygame_sdl2/display.pyx", line 386, in pygame_sdl2.display.set_mode (gen\pygame_sdl2.display.c:5393)
File "pygame_sdl2/display.pyx", line 108, in pygame_sdl2.display.Window.__init__ (gen\pygame_sdl2.display.c:2049)
error: No matching GL pixel format available

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.99.11.1749
Second happiness 2.3

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Try to change color depth from 16bit to 32bit, the problem seems to be related to the display driver.

Reactions: bas

Mitchwtn

Aug 24, 2018
Try to change color depth from 16bit to 32bit, the problem seems to be related to the display driver.
Thanks for you're reply, unfortunately I saw that on searchingand it doesn't really apply. I run linux, I did attempt to change it in xorg, but my computer won't boot that way, it's my understanding after some research that 24 on linux is the same as 32 on windows and it's already 24.

Edit - Just solved it, installed steam, one of the libraries it is dependent on must be the solution...no idea which one lol. Thanks for trying to help.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Thanks for you're reply, unfortunately I saw that on searchingand it doesn't really apply. I run linux, I did attempt to change it in xorg, but my computer won't boot that way, it's my understanding after some research that 24 on linux is the same as 32 on windows and it's already 24.

Edit - Just solved it, installed steam, one of the libraries it is dependent on must be the solution...no idea which one lol. Thanks for trying to help.
Sorry, I don't know how wine works in linux, but the problem seems related to some problem with display driver or its configuration.

Perhahs you can find some info here:

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
I've downloaded and tested the game on my machine (Ubuntu 18.04): no issues with both Wine 4.0 and Wine devel 4.4 (XP mode).

I have never seen this error. Is it triggered by every Ren'py game?
Also, have you installed the packages needed to load the webp images? The crunched versions use that file format.

On a side note, the game is already shipped with the 32 and 64 bit libraries. You can run the game natively: just extract the attached file in the main folder, make it executable and launch it (I took the .sh file from another game, Mythic Manor).
Or, if you don't trust the script, download Ren'py SDK v6.99.11, add the game to your personal projects and test it.

PS: maybe I'm paranoiac, but I always remove the Z: drive. Win software should not access the root.

Reactions: Mitchwtn

Mitchwtn

Aug 24, 2018
I've downloaded and tested the game on my machine (Ubuntu 18.04): no issues with both Wine 4.0 and Wine devel 4.4 (XP mode).

I have never seen this error. Is it triggered by every Ren'py game?
Also, have you installed the packages needed to load the webp images? The crunched versions use that file format.

On a side note, the game is already shipped with the 32 and 64 bit libraries. You can run the game natively: just extract the attached file in the main folder, make it executable and launch it (I took the .sh file from another game, Mythic Manor).
Or, if you don't trust the script, download Ren'py SDK v6.99.11, add the game to your personal projects and test it.

PS: maybe I'm paranoiac, but I always remove the Z: drive. Win software should not access the root.
I've never heard anything about removing the Z drive, I'll have to look into that. Ya, I was clearly missing something, whatever it was came down when I installed steam, which was just some random test that I didn't expect to actually work.