Daz No transition between Bump-Map / Normal-Map on Neck

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
Hi,

i have a little problem with bump/normal maps (i am not sure witch is causing the problem) on the neck. As seen in the picture the bump is much stronger and higher scaled on the neck than on the face. I know the neck-textures belong to the body textures, which are in fact larger scaled and more bumpier, but i would expect a transition between those textures on the neck area. I reset all shaders with the ShaderMixer and reaplied the Michael 8 Iray Shader/Textures, because i thoughed maybe i have messed up the shaders while trying different others.

I can't seem to find anyone else on google with the same problem and much less a solution. So i suppose it is indeed something i messed up.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the problem and how it might be fixed?

The only thing i could think of would be to adjust the texture itself. However, it seems strange to me that there are such problems with a standard figure.

Aditional Information:
I am using DAZ 4.11 Pro Build Public btw.
I used Greg as Base-Figure and shaped him with various tools and used the Michael 8 Textures/Shaders (By thinking about it again, i assume different UV-Maps on both Base-Meshs are causing the Problem :S )

NeckProblem.png

Last edited:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
This is actually something that happens for many figures I know of. The problem is that the artist/s use the same resolution for the face and torso textures, but the torso texture has a way bigger area to cover, so it get stretched and creates this effect.
The only thing you could do is to lower the resolution of the face textures, but you'll loose some details.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
Thanks for the reply.

If i load the Michael 8 character at whole it looks fine. If you look closely it is kind of visible but not really bothering. There is some kind of transition. At least the cut is not that visible.
I dont really want to mess with the resolution because of the loss of details like you said.
I could use the Michael8 as base-mesh but to shape it like the one i allready have would be a pain in the ass... Trying to get rid of the cleft, adam's apple and other anwanted details would be quite time consuming. I would even have to create custom deformer for this cases i guess.
Michael8.png

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I could use the Michael8 as base-mesh but to shape it like the one i allready have would be a pain in the ass
Load your character and michael 8 into the scene and then copy the surface over to your character.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
The only thing i could think of would be to adjust the texture itself. However, it seems strange to me that there are such problems with a standard figure.
Have you tried dialing down the bump strength on the torso some? Under "Surfaces," the "Base Bump" should have a slider - you could use that to reduce the overall bump strength on the torso.

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
Load your character and michael 8 into the scene and then copy the surface over to your character.
Thats what i tried aswell. Still the same Problem.

Have you tried dialing down the bump strength on the torso some? Under "Surfaces," the "Base Bump" should have a slider - you could use that to reduce the overall bump strength on the torso.
Thats what i ended up doing. I reduced the bump strength from 5 to 2. Its less obviously but still visible.