Unity Node based Dialogue asset

Elvishious

Afterglow Developer
Game Developer
Mar 9, 2018
Hello,
I tried many dialogue assets from the Unity asset store (Utage, dialogue system, dialogue chain, ... Can't remember exactly) in order to make a VN style dialogue system. But each of those assets just missed some features that could make it great.
For now the most powerful dialogue engine I tried was Utage, and I spent a good amount of time on it, but really not user friendly (as I'm working with people, a node system is more easy to understand for them than the Excelhell that Utage is)
Dialogue system is really good too, but the documentation is almost as good as the Japanese documentation of Utage. The Lua requirement is also a cockblock for me.
Dialogue chain is pretty straight forward, a good interface, pretty easy to extend, but why the hell I can't modify the dialogue box directly on the editor?! The dev behind it didn't really updated that asset, so meh...
I tried to make my own, but it's a waste of time in my opinion.
So if some devs a reading this, which dialogue asset do you use on Unity and why?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Custom. In the past my systems have been specialty made, just cuz its fun to make systems for me. but right now I am in the process of making my best system yet. Currently in the process of making a well rounded system which I plan to market (somewhat), it uses a hybrid between both scripting and node tree logic. Scripting is similar to something like renpy, using commands and tokens to control the game within the script to allow for maximum flexabilety, and using a dialog tree (node system) to orginize player choice or other optional behaviors to make for easy orginization for the writers.