Noobie interested in making a renpy game.

Racko13

Apr 25, 2020
So, I am interested in making some games in renpy, though I'm not familiar with coding. I used to mess around a little as a kid/teen with java, html, c++, python, though the last time I even looked at anything was probably 15 years ago and I've forgotten 99.% of what I did know.

I'm looking at using either Koikatsu or Honey Select 2, though I am leaning more towards Koikatsu. I have a couple of story ideas that I have somewhat lined out, and the feel of the main one would fit better with Koikatsu, where the other would fit with HS2 models. For now, I'd like to focus on one and hopefully get some input on how to start getting things going. I don't plan on getting anything that would be worth releasing for awhile, but I still want to get something started. I've already started making a couple of characters in Koikatsu but I'm lost on how to make renders and scenes for renpy, as well as doing anything with renpy in general.

Any tips, resources, advice for this adventure would be helpful, thanks!

ZyanZedan

Jul 18, 2019
To be real with you

Coding

Some coding experience is needed not much watch videos on YouTube and stuff there might be people willing to help you here as well but over all Renpy is easier to code than other languages ( Because mostly it is images attached with text ) in simple games there are also objects and interaction might be little harder .

Characters

Personally ( No honey select please for the love of Milfs please ) you can choose many assets from F95 available for free there are many models and resources available .

Renders

Use Daz3d like even if you want honey select characters use Daz like it is much easier for a begginer there are alot of tutorials for it plus if you like to create real life scenes it is the best tool in replication . ( For begginers )

Reactions: Racko13

ZyanZedan

Jul 18, 2019
Like I was also interested in making a game and had an idea just like you watched 5 mins of a tutorial and made a simple game I just didn't have any time on my hands

Racko13

Apr 25, 2020
Is there a particular reason you say to use Daz3d for renders? Easier to figure out and use than CharaStudio in Koikatsu? If it's easy to make characters in Koikatsu and use them in, at least in your opinion, a better tool. Not trying to discount you, I just genuinely don't know much about all of this.

ZyanZedan

Jul 18, 2019
Daz is more universal as per say are you a native English speaker ? Then Daz is the best choice because it has alot of tutorials plus you can import anything like specially from f95zone right here faster plus you can use assets from here There is also blender again even more used than Daz has more professional tools but depends upon what you want to do

Do you want to create a new 3d character ?

Or do you want free 3d characters from the internet ?

Racko13

Apr 25, 2020
Yep, native English speaker. Blender is a little bit much for what I'm planning, though I may learn it later. I only have a couple of characters made in Koikatsu so far, and it has been mainly from grabbing a small chunk of cards for it, starting with one I like, and using all the assets and stuff to make them more unique and fitting to what I want. I haven't messed around with HS2, and will need to get ahold of Daz. Creating brand new characters from scratch is a bit much, and would like to use other characters as a starting point.

ZyanZedan

Jul 18, 2019
Can you show me these characters here from my perspective I don't really play anime genshin impact type games so I think your characters are like that and if that's how you want them and you have learnt that already you don't need Daz Type Characters ( Daz or Blender Characters are mostly 3d characters with alot of detail to skin texture ) but like realism is the goal with Daz tho
So I guess stick with your characters and learn only basic Renpy game making which is just attaching images to a line of code that plays in sequence

This is not entirely how Renpy works but a really basic game has that and you can learn it fairly easily

Racko13

Apr 25, 2020
Well, I have a few stories I have planned out, one is more fantasy and the feel of it would fit more in the anime theme, while the other is a future/sci-fi theme and the setting/story would fit more with the look of HS. It looks like Daz could work for it as well, but that will be further along the line, as I want to focus more on one, and I have more story for the first one. I'm on my phone atm and away from my pc to grab some shots of the characters, but can share a couple of them tomorrow.

tuvrelm11

Jan 11, 2019
I would disagree on recommending Daz3d. It requires an NVIDIA GPU and a powerful PC to render anything in a sane time frame. And it takes a lot of learning to make the characters look halfway decent and not like some plastic hobgoblins. Koikatsu can run on much lower end hardware, no GPU restrictions and the learning curve is much smoother. And the characters look much better even without needing too much effort put into it.

The choice is yours ultimately.

As for working in Renpy, it's one of the easiest engines out there. Some youtube tutorials will teach you all you need to know in hours, in depth stuff in at most a few days.

Reactions: ZyanZedan

ZyanZedan

Jul 18, 2019
Well, I have a few stories I have planned out, one is more fantasy and the feel of it would fit more in the anime theme, while the other is a future/sci-fi theme and the setting/story would fit more with the look of HS. It looks like Daz could work for it as well, but that will be further along the line, as I want to focus more on one, and I have more story for the first one. I'm on my phone atm and away from my pc to grab some shots of the characters, but can share a couple of them tomorrow.
Yeah as mentioned above choice is always yours and yeah Daz is intensive of a program plus anime characters don't really need that much detail or power Gpu wise so just learn some basic Renpy code and make a demo for everyone here if you want