• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Daz Normal+Bump maps weird artifact

P_S_Y_C_H_O

therappist
Game Developer
Sep 3, 2018
I have weird artifact when using both Normal AND Bump map together.
Here I'll put three renders where Normal (1), Bump (2), and Normal+Bump (3) maps together were used.
When I use both of them I can see some weird stuff, I can't even explain. NONE of them has this 'concavity', if I open just a texture in some image viewer.
Just in case it's hard to notice and understand: It's a closeup of a door in a room. Problem - concavity on it.
(1)Normal map only
1n.jpg
(2)Bump map only
1b.jpg
(3)Normal+Bump maps together
1nb.jpg

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Aren't normal maps and bump maps basically the same thing? Why would you be using both?

-edit-
Wait, I have just remembered... Bump maps are the black and white ones whereas the normal maps are colored, in that case, I would just stick with normal maps.

Reactions: P_S_Y_C_H_O

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Aren't normal maps and bump maps basically the same thing? Why would you be using both?

-edit-
Wait, I have just remembered... Bump maps are the black and white ones whereas the normal maps are colored, in that case, I would just stick with normal maps.
Yes basically they do the same, but there is still a big difference between them.
Bump maps are older and basically hold just height information (up and down, black and white) while normal maps alos provide x and y as well, so every position of every bump, forward, backward, left, right, up and down.
You could also use a 32 bit displacement map, they are even better then normal maps, but also heavy on the hardware.

Reactions: Winterfire

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Yeah I remembered that after a few minutes, I had totally removed bump maps from my mind :LOL:
That weird artifact is most likely caused because both try to get light information in different ways but yeah, normal maps are the only ones you should be using.

Displacement maps actually edit the geometry, you could actually have both displacement AND normal maps in a model.
I would not necessarily say they are better, normal maps are used to add detail (little bumps on a reptilian skin and so on), things that can fake detail by getting light information without figuring out the "trick".

I have never personally used displacement maps tbh, my guess would be that displacement maps allow you to "reuse" a model by partially editing the geometry with a texture map but I could be wrong.
I would definitively never use a displacement map instead of a normal map though, unless the player has multiple view points on that object as normal maps are flat.

-edit-
I would not worry about it too much though when it comes to rendering, it is mostly a problem with real time.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I have never personally used displacement maps tbh, my guess would be that displacement maps allow you to "reuse" a model by partially editing the geometry with a texture map but I could be wrong.
I would definitively never use a displacement map instead of a normal map though, unless the player has multiple view points on that object as normal maps are flat.
Almost right^^
Displacement maps tell the render rengine where to edit the surface of the geometry. This happens on the fly while the scene is rendered. Because of this you can add more detail with displacement maps than you can add with a normal map,if you use high rez (32bit) maps. 8 bit displacement maps will most likely end up with artifacts.

Back to topic and the problem at hand. I don't know what causes this, could be an inverted map, but as @Winterfire said, you could just drop the bump map and only use the normal.

P_S_Y_C_H_O

therappist
Game Developer
Sep 3, 2018
Almost right^^
Displacement maps tell the render rengine where to edit the surface of the geometry. This happens on the fly while the scene is rendered. Because of this you can add more detail with displacement maps than you can add with a normal map,if you use high rez (32bit) maps. 8 bit displacement maps will most likely end up with artifacts.

Back to topic and the problem at hand. I don't know what causes this, could be an inverted map, but as @Winterfire said, you could just drop the bump map and only use the normal.
I'll check, maybe I exported normal map DirectX instead of OpenGL from Painter, or smth like that. Thank you.