Ren'Py not able to play renpy games

maverick555

Dec 10, 2019
Hello guys
For the past week, I am not able to play renpy games.
It was not a problem earlier it started just recently.

Whenever I try to open a game this window comes up:
(There is enough storage in my drives)
Help would be much appreciated!
Screenshot 2021-01-05 120608.png Screenshot 2020-12-30 135542.png
Screenshot 2021-01-05 122539.png

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Check if those files exist. If you don't see them, they may have been quarantined by your antivirus. Tell it to let you play, they most likely are false positive.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
You open folders mentioned in the file path and see if the file exists there. Don't you have any basic computer usage skills, bud? I doubt we can help you with that.

But as the error message already says, these files are missing, so it's pretty pointless to try to find them manually.

What you should do is to add your game folder to Windows Defender exceptions.

And after that extract these games from the downloaded zip archives again to restore missing files.

In case you have some other anti-malware software installed, creating an exception for it should also be possible, you just have to find an article about it in its help text or manual.

Last edited:

zerozip0

May 23, 2018
Your issue might be similar to the one I have at the moment: A lot of the very recent updates for Renpy games have two program files in their folder instead of just one. One is called the name of the game/vn, and the other has -32 or -64 in the end. Renpy will crash if one tries to run either one of the said programme files.
As an example:
Happenstance-32 shows an APPCRASH with the error in a module called StackHash_0a9e, while the regular Happenstance file the appcrash is instead called BEX64 with the error module now being StackHash_1dc2.
I can only guess that it is a recent change to Renpy that will cause this dual program file issue...
Or maybe it is just that our computers are old and running an old OS (win 7)?

Reactions: kamibell

maverick555

Dec 10, 2019
Your issue might be similar to the one I have at the moment: A lot of the very recent updates for Renpy games have two program files in their folder instead of just one. One is called the name of the game/vn, and the other has -32 or -64 in the end. Renpy will crash if one tries to run either one of the said programme files.
As an example:
Happenstance-32 shows an APPCRASH with the error in a module called StackHash_0a9e, while the regular Happenstance file the appcrash is instead called BEX64 with the error module now being StackHash_1dc2.
I can only guess that it is a recent change to Renpy that will cause this dual program file issue...
Or maybe it is just that our computers are old and running an old OS (win 7)?
Earlier I was able to play all the games. But for the past 1 or 2 weeks, I'm not able to play any. No matter which game i extract it fails to run. Only the games that were already extracted are running without any issue

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
as far as I know that some os is not supported anymore

this from the site it might help

This release also raises the minimum requirements to run a Ren'Py game. It is now required that a user's computer have OpenGL 2, DirectX 9, OpenGL ES 2, or WebGL to run Ren'Py. The model-based renderer requires OpenGL ES 3 or WebGL 2.

With these changes, there have been a few deprecation. Ren'Py no longer runs on Windows XP. The 32-bit armv7l platform has been removed on iOS, as this platform hasn't been supported by Apple for several years.

Damdy

Sep 8, 2018
try this method:
1. after you extract game from rar/zip,
2. open rar/zip that already you extract before
3. then copy game launcher only to your game folder
or
you can try open the game from rar, dont extract just open your game rar/zip then double click game launcher

because i always using this method if find this problem
(sorry for my english language)

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
here is a better way of fixing this problem all need is the game folder

1. download renpy
2. install renpy
3. open renpy launcher press preference look for the project directory
4. now copy the game folder ONLY and paste it into the project directory
5. now re-launch renpy there should be a game name in the project select it and press launch project

Reactions: WideRange72

Noctis67

Jun 14, 2017
Hello and sorry for my english , I have a similar problem for a few days , only with some VN renpy games. But the renpy window open, and close one second later without any error message
I can run some of games and not others
example : Oopsy Daisy does not work but Sheer Happiness does work
Antivirus checked

I've tried Oopsy Daisy with two differents PC and here is the log.txt for each of them

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I have this probleme only with renpy games which have a "Game.exe" AND a "game-32.exe"

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hello and sorry for my english , I have a similar problem for a few days , only with some VN renpy games. But the renpy window open, and close one second later without any error message
I can run some of games and not others
example : Oopsy Daisy does not work but Sheer Happiness does work
Antivirus checked

I've tried Oopsy Daisy with two differents PC and here is the log.txt for each of them

I have this probleme only with renpy games which have a "Game.exe" AND a "game-32.exe"
Anything that shows up in Windows Event Viewer? Any protection software installed (Norton, McAfee, etc.)?

EDIT: I downloaded Oopsy Daisy and wasn't able to run it on my Linux system. I got the same log file as user Noctis67. After a few try and error attempts with Ren'Py SDK 7.4.0 and 7.4.1 I finally was able to fix the issue and launch the game.

I'm not sure what dev of Oopsy Daisy did, but I guess he/she/it/Apache helicopter messed something up with their code or it is a Python 2/3 issue.

However, here is what I did to make it run:
1. Either download Ren'Py SDK 7.4.0 or 7.4.1 (Pre-Release) -> I used 7.4.1.

2. Put Ren'Py SDK and your extracted copy of the game into the same directory e.g. your adult game folder
3. Launch Ren'Py SDK and make sure the game shows up in your project list (left panel). (You can change the project folder in "preferences" if you like.)
4. Click on the game in Project panel and choose action "Force Recompile" from the main gui.
5. Check the game's "game" folder and see if some files were renamed and have ".bak" file extension (if you can't see file extension, then activate it. => ask google how to do it on Windows!)
6. Back to Ren'Py SDK and choose action "Build Distributions" -> build the package according to your platform (Windows, Mac, Linux).

7. Extract the new game build and look into the game's "game" folder and compare it your original copy of the game (see step 5). You will notice that all files with the ".bak" extension are missing including the "scripts" folder.

8. Copy all missing ".bak" files, and the missing scripts folder, into your new game build's "game" folder and remove the ".bak" extension from those files.

9. Launch the game and enjoy.

Last edited:

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Noctis67 Tagfalter
Out of curiosity please try my recompiled build of OopsDaisy with Ren'Py SDK 7.4.1 and "game-32.exe". I tried both game.exe (64/32) via Wine and both worked for me. Would be good to know, if the game works for both of you or not. Maybe it will help to found out what's going on with the new Ren'Py version.
Here is the link the recompiled game build ~ 380mb.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
Noctis67 Tagfalter
Out of curiosity please try my recompiled build of OopsDaisy with Ren'Py SDK 7.4.1 and "game-32.exe". I tried both game.exe (64/32) via Wine and both worked for me. Would be good to know, if the game works for both of you or not. Maybe it will help to found out what's going on with the new Ren'Py version.
Here is the link the recompiled game build ~ 380mb.
pytom knows about this issue and he said it should be fixed in the next official release

Shawdawg

Jan 10, 2018
Got to love how "improvements" break everything.

I'm pretty sure I'm just screwed. I have an old netbook with with an intel express chipset on it cause my old computer is down. Recently upgraded to Windows 7, and DirectX 11, but I think the graphics driver is so old and outdated, I won't be able to play any of the new Renpy updates. At best, I can unren the files and view the new images

'renpy.uguu.gl.find_gl_command' ignored shows up in my logs

Last edited: