VN Ren'Py not being able to save in the game

sNexx

May 1, 2023
Oyunda save yapamıyorum. Kaydetmeye çalıştığımda hata alıyorum. Bunun çözümünü bilen varsa bana yardımcı olabilir mi?

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
What game and what error? A screenshot would be helpful.

First things coming to my mind: 1. always unzip the game before playing it; 2. some games do not like special characters in their path. So, if in the game path there is any folder with Turkish letters (such as ü,ğ,ş), rename it with Latin characters only.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Hmm...

This is really strange. That the save can possibly fail in the game directory due to some weird characters in the path, I can get it. But the %APPDATA% save should works.

What game is it, and/or do it happen in one game only, or with all Ren'Py games ?

sNexx

May 1, 2023
I get this error in almost all Ren'Py games. I'm having trouble understanding why

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Do you run any antivirus or sandbox software? They may forbid Ren'py to save in %APPDATA%\Renpy. For instance, I read that Avast Premium has a feature like that.
Alternatively, it may be a permission issue of that folder. There are a couple of workarounds, but it would be better to investigate the issue and fix it for good.

sNexx

May 1, 2023
I am using Kaspersky antivirus. I close the program before downloading the games. But I'll check again to see if I missed anything. thank you for your interest.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Try this: keep scanning the downloads, then disable Kaspersky and try to play just one game that you know it's safe. If you can save your progress without errors, then Kaspersky is probably the culprit: look into its settings. But I'd advice against disabling it completely.

The SDK from the official include an example game, "The Question". I guess that's the safest Ren'py VN you can try. (I know, every game from F95 is scanned, but I am quite paranoid)

sNexx

May 1, 2023
I did what you said and tried it in another game and the problem was solved. Thank you for your solution suggestions and help.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
If you can save your progress without errors, then Kaspersky is probably the culprit: look into its settings. But I'd advice against disabling it completely.
Since it seem to be the issue, there's surely a way to whitelist what can safely write in %APPDATA%. Ideally the best way would be to have the possibility to say "all files running in 'C:\my renpy games\' can write in the %APPDATA%".
This way, Kaspersky would still be fully working, but not anymore blocking the saves.

This being said, I see a second issue here. Because there's no reasons for an anti-virus to block writing in the executable directory. Therefore the "game/saves" directory should be still working, and he shouldn't have had the error he get.
So, also do not install the games in a directory that need the administrators rights ?