NSON Save Files

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

joofer123

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I don't know if this has been done before or if anybody cares but Unity has these specific save files known as nson files that
aren't that easy to edit. After much digging and reverse engineering, I finally found a way to edit these files and I was wondering if anybody cared enough for
an actual tool to edit these files?

joofer123

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone give me a list of games with nson save files?
I currently made something which turns nson into json (which is easy to edit) before turning json back into nson. I need to test this on multiple games.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
You can check out Love of Magic, I use the regular Unity serializer. Since it's got a built in debugger (Ctrl+J) that lets you check/modify values it might be useful for testing as well.

Reactions: WhyNot

UserNo999

Feb 26, 2021
Hey joofer123, have you any updates on your tool? Because i was working on some nson files myself and I found a way to edit them too. Its actually pretty simple, the python script i use has 5 lines for decompression and 5 more for compression. Editing the resulting json should be straight forward with a text editor.

joofer123

Jul 29, 2019
Hey joofer123, have you any updates on your tool? Because i was working on some nson files myself and I found a way to edit them too. Its actually pretty simple, the python script i use has 5 lines for decompression and 5 more for compression. Editing the resulting json should be straight forward with a text editor.
Yea the brunt of the work was involved in disassembling the unity files, the actual compression is easy. I actually lost a lot of files on my computer and I just finished getting the code to work again, should probably have something by tommorow.

Reactions: UserNo999

UserNo999

Feb 26, 2021
Yea the brunt of the work was involved in disassembling the unity files, the actual compression is easy. I actually lost a lot of files on my computer and I just finished getting the code to work again, should probably have something by tommorow.
That sounds great. I'm sure your code has a much better usability than my 10 line script. Also i didn't test it with any other setup and just for this one game. Send me a reply when you published your code, so I can take a look at it and if necessarty add my results.

joofer123

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds great. I'm sure your code has a much better usability than my 10 line script. Also i didn't test it with any other setup and just for this one game. Send me a reply when you published your code, so I can take a look at it and if necessarty add my results.
Here is the essential idea of what is going on in python, I believe that this should be usable and should run with anyone with python 3 installed. To use it go to the directory of the script (or just use the path of the script) in cmd (should work in Mac too), then "python nson_decryptor.py -w -filename", with the filename referring to the nson save file to be edited--this will create a json file named "Edit_File.json" in the same folder of the original save file which you can edit with any json editor. Next once you are finished, do "python nson_decryptor.py -s -filename" with the filename of the edited json file to transform the file back to nson (this file will be named "Edited_Save_File.nson" in the same directory which you can then rename to the original save file.

Also, does anyone know how to directly upload python files--I am uploading a text file for now which you can just change the extension to "nson_decrpytor.py" after downloading

Last edited:

joofer123

Jul 29, 2019
Yea mine is pretty simple right now too, I am just trying to write it in an exe format so it may be more usable for other people. I am sure that we both have the same core idea though. Also, if anyone wants to use the script but has any question just let me know.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote