OctaneRender Art - Show Me Your Octane

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
This thread is for artwork, questions, and advice about Octane Render. Octane is very different from Daz Studio and having a place to go to with questions and to share advice would be very awesome.

It doesn't matter if you have one of the many plug-ins or the standalone, or you are just curious about a GPU-based render engine. Anyone of any ability is welcome to show off their artwork made with Octane.

W22N

Jan 5, 2018
How does the standalone work? If it isn't too basic/dumb of a question

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
How does the standalone work? If it isn't too basic/dumb of a question
No question is too dumb or basic in this thread.

So if you have the standalone you have to import an '.obj' file that you exported from Daz Studio. So within Daz you pose, colour (you can adjust this in Octane but give it a baseline), and set up any lights/backgrounds you want. Then you import the '.obj' file as a 'geometry mesh.'

Octane is most compatible with 'orbx' or 'ocds' files, but you need Octane for Daz Studio(the plug-in) to export those.

There is an Octane Demo downloadable for free on the Otoy site which I highly recommend for anyone interested but hesitant to purchase Octane

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Not looking to derail what you have going on here, but figured I'd offer a suggestion for a free alternative. Blender's Cycles renderer does basically the same stuff, but is totally free. It also has a node based material editor, support for PBR, and in recent versions a nice noise reducer that cuts a lot of time off renders.

Later this year when Blender 2.8 comes out, you'll also be able to use basically the same material setup as Cycles with the new real-time renderer being added, Eevee. With that you'll be able to render in seconds what currently takes hours, with hardly any noticeable quality loss in terms of lighting complexity and with the noise issues completely gone. So that's an added bonus towards getting to know Cycles, as mastering the basics of that gets you 90%+ of the way to knowing everything you need to know to get up and running with Eevee when the time comes.

Also, there's a plugin that makes getting stuff from Daz to Blender a lot easier than it was in the past.

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
There are a lot of different render engines, but this thread is for Octane and it's plug-ins. Feel free to to post in the Blender thread though.

Reactions: GodGoku

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Pro-tip - don't walk away from your computer for hours when beginning a render. But this one is kinda beautiful in a Jumani sort of way.
kitchen fuckup.png

I don't like HDRI's, so this is a full scene. Kitchen with an outdoor environment and a barn outside.
kitchentest.png

zerozip0

May 23, 2018
Would you recommend Octane as the first image rendering tool for someone with zero experience with image rendering software?

Zero experience with rendering stuff is what I have, so keep that in mind when reading the following comments.

I noticed a few details that I would like to point out. Let us start with the room images:
The textile on the sofa and carpet as well as the tapestry on the wall look like it could have been plucked from real life.
The wooden surfaces and the marble-like texture on the wall is getting there as well.
Onto the characters. I agree with you on the clothing, perhaps it is the thing resembling real life the most.
The dark nipple is well rendered, the stubble on the male is great as well and the freckles and other spots on the skin look good too.
Unfortunately the character renderings do seem to have areas that is either out of focus or slightly blurred:
The ear and the area around it on the male, the neckline on the nipple rendering, some of the hair on the female renders etc.

[TL : DR] My overall impression so far is that textiles, skin details, thin/single hair, tapestry, wood(no not that kind of wood...) and stone look great when rendered in Octane. Unfortunately full characters and rich hair might not be entirely in focus.

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Would you recommend Octane as the first image rendering tool for someone with zero experience with image rendering software?

Zero experience with rendering stuff is what I have, so keep that in mind when reading the following comments.

I noticed a few details that I would like to point out. Let us start with the room images:
The textile on the sofa and carpet as well as the tapestry on the wall look like it could have been plucked from real life.
The wooden surfaces and the marble-like texture on the wall is getting there as well.
Onto the characters. I agree with you on the clothing, perhaps it is the thing resembling real life the most.
The dark nipple is well rendered, the stubble on the male is great as well and the freckles and other spots on the skin look good too.
Unfortunately the character renderings do seem to have areas that is either out of focus or slightly blurred:
The ear and the area around it on the male, the neckline on the nipple rendering, some of the hair on the female renders etc.

[TL : DR] My overall impression so far is that textiles, skin details, thin/single hair, tapestry, wood(no not that kind of wood...) and stone look great when rendered in Octane. Unfortunately full characters and rich hair might not be entirely in focus.
The out-of-focus areas are due to having a camera focused on one point rather than the whole figure. Blame my shoddy render skills, not Octane.

@carnalcardinal

Would you recommend the octane plugin for daz studio?
Highly recommend. And hopefully now that Octane is free, some more people will chime in and post here.

Reactions: MoroboshiAtaru

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
I'am currently working on my own shaders. I've been working mostly on the skin shader for now. It was way harder than i expected in the begin to be honest. I know there are shaders like Redspec and TonySculptor but both of them have aspects i dont like (the bluish fresnel-like effect on the redspec shader for example). I ended up doing a different approch then both i guess. The shader is currently marked with version 30, quite a few iteration i've benn through in testing. Mostly the try and error approach :)
I'am still not pleased with the glossiness but this should be fixed rather easy. I havn't spend much time on anything else than skin, like eyes, hairs and lips, eyebrows, ... but will do.
I'am far from finished (i guess i'll never be trully finished with that :) ) but i will keep progressing (hopfully).

I'd like to share my progress and would appriciate some feedback even this thread appears to be kinda dead sadly. I'am working for quite some time now on this shader and maybe i lost myself in it and can't see obvious problems anymore.

This is the raw-render from octane.
Susann30HDRI_Denoised-beauty.png