Tool Offline WEBP-Converter

wildcat99sh

Aug 31, 2017
1684826781314.png

When creating a VN or a comic you might convert your big PNGs or JPGs into WEBP-Format to save a lot of space.

And there are many webpages out there with which you could convert your files.

But do you know where your files are saved? Or can you be sure that they don't apear where they shouldn't?

For this i created this little tool: WEBP-Converter, which you can find .

Nothing fancy, just plain forward, no installation, no registry changes....just extract the exe and the dll to any folder you like.
I've tested it several times but i do not give any guaranty that it is 100% bug-free.

Last edited:
Reactions: fountain

RIC0H

Well-Endowed Member
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 8, 2020
Another (that I use) =

wildcat99sh

Aug 31, 2017
I know that there are more similar tools out in the world.
But as a former professional Win-Programmer, i must ask:

- Why Install.Exe for such a small tool? It often brings more disadvantages, e.g. by filling your registry, not knowing what it doas additional to your PC and sometimes it leaves some stuff on your installation when de-installing. Not talking about bloat-ware.....
- Why dependend on dotNet or VC? The more frameworks you need (and this tool needs the pretty old version 3.5) the more problems may occur...

My tools need nothing additional (sometimes a special dll).
And they can be used after unzipping to any folder you like, where also the dlls from me can be.
All settings are stored in an (ok, pretty old) ini-File in this folder, too, but after deletion the tool and all (!) traces are gone.

Therefore i tend to write needed small (!) tools on my own.
At least to stay fit in the brain. :cool:
And it makes fun.

fountain

Oct 29, 2017
View attachment 2643137

When creating a VN or a comic you might convert your big PNGs or JPGs into WEBP-Format to save a lot of space.

And there are many webpages out there with which you could convert your files.

But do you know where your files are saved? Or can you be sure that they don't apear where they shouldn't?

For this i created this little tool: WEBP-Converter, which you can find .

Nothing fancy, just plain forward, no installation, no registry changes....just extract the exe and the dll to any folder you like.
I've tested it several times but i do not give any guaranty that it is 100% bug-free.
Cool! I appreciate a simple tool so I expect I'll get some use out of it. I also like a simple, .ini I can read and edit. Here are a few suggestions:
  • I'd appreciate the ability to copy-paste a path rather than having to manually navigate all the way there. I recognize I can get a similar effect by editing the .ini, depending on workflow.
  • Related, with a moderately deep folder tree, the narrow, fixed width navigation window got tight.
  • It'd be nice to be able to select a single file or list of files within a directory rather than an entire directory, but I understand this may be feature creep. In practice it wouldn't be hard to drop a file into a standard input folder if I don't need to do bulk conversion
  • It'd be handy to have a command line option - assuming there isn't an undocumented one.
Bug:
  • It crashed with an access violation when I threw it a 4.6 MB, 14,000 x 9,000 pixel .png

wildcat99sh

Aug 31, 2017
Cool! I appreciate a simple tool so I expect I'll get some use out of it. I also like a simple, .ini I can read and edit. Here are a few suggestions:
  • I'd appreciate the ability to copy-paste a path rather than having to manually navigate all the way there. I recognize I can get a similar effect by editing the .ini, depending on workflow.
  • Related, with a moderately deep folder tree, the narrow, fixed width navigation window got tight.
  • It'd be nice to be able to select a single file or list of files within a directory rather than an entire directory, but I understand this may be feature creep. In practice it wouldn't be hard to drop a file into a standard input folder if I don't need to do bulk conversion
  • It'd be handy to have a command line option - assuming there isn't an undocumented one.
Bug:
  • It crashed with an access violation when I threw it a 4.6 MB, 14,000 x 9,000 pixel .png
Thanks for the flowers. It was a 1 hour night coding "project"....

Most points ... challenge accepted :cool:
These are really useful suggestions and i will start to code these in the next days.
But pls. be patient, i have a job and a wife and i only find coding time when she is in bed (and i'm out, of course).

Second: no, there is no command line option....aahh....why? I created a Gui for not having a command line.
Maybe you can explain what you mean or want?

Crash: ok, i haven't tested it with such huge files (reg. pixels, the file size can't be the reason, less then 5 MB is almost nothing), but i will investigate.

Thanks for your brilliant feedback.

Reactions: fountain

fountain

Oct 29, 2017
Command line is def a nice-to-have. The idea is to integrate it into a workflow that is already using the command line. It's really not important. The nice, convenient, spartan interface makes most of the benefits of a command line option pretty minimal.

What I like to do is select the images I want, shift-right-click and "Copy as path" to get a list of images and dump that list wherever. Often I can dump this in a command line, but dumping it into the 'input' entry would do most of what I would get value out of.

If you want to test my weird image for troubleshooting:

wildcat99sh

Aug 31, 2017
Would you pls test enclosed version?

Whats new....
1) Copy Paste of folders .... Check
2) Make it wider to see more of the folders .... Check
3) Extra Button for "Convert Single File" .... Check
4) Command Line Parameter .... Check
Call it in a batch or so with webpconverter.exe "C:\temp\...." and it should work .... after my tests .... Check

Regarding the Crash:
I could reprodurce it with your file and with some cam-pics from me converted to PNG.
It must be a combination of file-size, pixels and internal format.
As the library for converting is not mine i asked the developer whether there are any limitations.....
When i take your pic and resize it with Paint.Net by 50% it works.....Strange...

wildcat99sh

Aug 31, 2017
UPDATE

Found (and cleared of course) a small more cosmetic bug....

Careful: if there is no INI-File it tries to write the webp-file in the root of c:, which is not allowed (only for admins).

I won't implement your feature request with "right click....", as this would require a registry change that Windows Explorer knows about the tool. And as stated above...i don't want to touch the registry (although it's quit easy). View attachment [VIRUS] WEBPConverter.zip

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
UPDATE

Found (and cleared of course) a small more cosmetic bug....

Careful: if there is no INI-File it tries to write the webp-file in the root of c:, which is not allowed (only for admins).

I won't implement your feature request with "right click....", as this would require a registry change that Windows Explorer knows about the tool. And as stated above...i don't want to touch the registry (although it's quit easy). View attachment 2676744
Some things to consider:
  • On my Windows 10 Pro system, the libwebp.dll library is required to run this program and I found that you can't just use any version found in your system (i.e., from those usually installed with other apps.) There may be others that are compatible, but v1.0.0.2 worked for me.
    • The can be compiled to make your own library.
    • Random compiled versions exist on the Internet, but be careful in your choices.
  • This is flagged by antivirus engines due to reputation, but seems to be clean upon execution.
    • Related, our A/V check also flagged this download, which seems to be a false positive.

wildcat99sh

Aug 31, 2017
Some things to consider:
  • On my Windows 10 Pro system, the libwebp.dlllibrary is required to run this program and I found that you can't just use any version found in your system (i.e., from those usually installed with other apps.) There may be others that are compatible, but v1.0.0.2 worked for me.
    • The can be compiled to make your own library.
    • Random compiled versions exist on the Internet, but be careful in your choices.
  • This is flagged by antivirus engines due to reputation, but seems to be clean upon execution.
    • Related, our A/V check also flagged this download, which seems to be a false positive.
I thought that there might be other tools as well using this dll, fairly enough not on my computer. ;)

I got the compiled DLL from GitHub from the guy who created the DLL-wrapper-unit for Delphi (my programming language).
I will try to download the sources and to compile it on my own, unfortunately i never worked with Visual Studio in the past.

What is strange too, is the fact, that when uploading only the EXE (not the Zip with the included DLL) to VirusTotal, it will be marked as containing a troian, which is defenitely wrong.
Other Online-Checking-Sites do not report my Exe as virulent.

So the root-cause is still not found....i guess.

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
I thought that there might be other tools as well using this dll, fairly enough not on my computer. ;)

I got the compiled DLL from GitHub from the guy who created the DLL-wrapper-unit for Delphi (my programming language).
I will try to download the sources and to compile it on my own, unfortunately i never worked with Visual Studio in the past.

What is strange too, is the fact, that when uploading only the EXE (not the Zip with the included DLL) to VirusTotal, it will be marked as containing a troian, which is defenitely wrong.
Other Online-Checking-Sites do not report my Exe as virulent.

So the root-cause is still not found....i guess.
The reason is linked from our message - there was a single hit in VirusTotal and our checker is not smart enough to flag that condition as a false positive:

We leave that information for users to make their own decisions.