Ren'Py - Abandoned - Old Habits [Ch. 1 v2.0] [Eiderdown Productions]

1. 5.00 star(s)

Boogie

This review is based on Ch 1 Ver 2.0, on 3/20/18.

Wonder why I skipped over this the first time around. There is a potentially intriguing story coming here, although at this point we really don't know too much about what it is. What we do have here is a well crafted introduction to the main characters.

Unlike 99% of the other developers making these games, Eiderdown has a good understanding of how to create a scene. He shows us instead of tells us a lot of what is going on, this is so important and all developers need to learn this. A good example is when the MC gets accosted on the street, I didn't see it coming but if you rollback to the previous screen you will. There are simple things like a new screen when the dialog progresses to others that are more nuanced, like the movement of items and people in the background. If you take a look at the people in the background you can also notice a lot of interesting details. For instance, there is one screen where the MC is walking down a street and off in the corner of the picture it looks like a girl is about to slug her boyfriend.

Although he does seem to be a master of scene creation, there are some problems with the actual renders. Graininess, is first and foremost. It could be a matter of lighting or cutting the render time short, or both. Definitely, over-compression of the pictures is contributing to the problem as it is creating a lot of artifacts.

The script is solid in grammar and spelling, but also in the actually telling of the story. There is no pointless, meandering of the dialog or commentary.

Admittedly, there is little content at the moment so it is not a must download. But it does hold much promise.
  2. 3.00 star(s)

Zippity

The following review is based off my personal experience with playing this Game/Visual Novel... I try to be as brutally honest and detailed as I can, and these are my own opinions and thoughts, from one or more play throughs... The version this review is based on is v1.0...

(12/21/2017 - Original Review - v1.0)

This visual novel/game is not bad for being so short... It does start off with an erotic scene right off the bat, but it ended up playing well for the lead in, as it actually added to the initial character development of the protagonist (because of his career choice)... Big thumbs up for the creative concept of playing a super powered guy, with powers totally unrelated to corruption and such... Nice change of pace...

The visuals are not bad with the characters being a bit above average, mostly due to them being, every so slightly, grainy... The backdrops look very fitting for the story, and for the most part looked unique and creative... The special effects for the fire and leaping were a really nice touch, even if they are not animated... This visual novel plays out the introduction scenes like a movie almost, which was actually a very creative idea, two thumbs up... I also love the whole music group character introduction clip during the ending credits (the VN is not actually done, it just appears after the current content stops)...

The script is not long at the moment, and not many choices present themselves, but the choices do play out different paths... There are a few grammar errors, but it isn't too bad... Without giving away too much, the male protagonist is a muscle bound (cliché) super powered guy who is playing sort of a neutral role when it comes to the whole hero/villain stuff... You do get a vibe that he must of been more hero at one point, but that has changed with his curent career choice... This VN is in it's early creation stages, so not much content exists at the moment...

Overall I say this one shows promise, and I hope that as it continues to develop, that it has deep and entertaining story content, balanced with any planned erotic visuals... Thus far, I like the plot concept and even laughed a couple times during my play through... I'll definitely have to read/play this one again later into it's development cycle... Keep up the good work...

(03/20/2018 - Review Update - Chapter 1 v2.0)

Well, this update is really just a revamp of the original content, with some more scenes added as filler, and an expansion of some prior scenes, as well as a setup for future content...

Most of the pictures looks slightly grainy and/or slightly blurry... The extension of the first scenes involving the flaming women kind of feel almost unnecessary compared to what existed before... In fact, they kind of make that whole event seem more confusing, as I could not tell right away that he was just having flashbacks as he thought about the fire woman... As I said before, the original version of that event in the beginning made more sense before then now... Perhaps the addition of the new scenes in the beginning could have been handled a bit better to feel less confusing...

Even though the reworked events and scenes are a mixed bag, I still think the story overall shows some promise... The visuals may need a little work to not seem so grainy in some scenes... There really is no new content beyond the rework, and due to the length between the original version and this update, I'm guessing this VN/Game will be a slow developer... I'll revisit it sometime in the future, to see how the story actually continues since it really didn't continue at all in this update... Best of luck to the developer/s...