VN - Ren'Py - On the Prairie [v0.7.0] [The CapnGames]

1. 4.00 star(s)

dimsey87

So far, so good!

The writing overall ain't terrible. There's spelling and grammar errors in abundance, plus I find some of it to be a bit needlessly repetitive. But for the most part it was engaging enough.

Visually it was mostly okay but the lighting in some scenes feels a bit wrong - at least I assume it's a lightning issue that has the characters looking all orange, sometimes yellow.

Animations are pretty jank too. A lot of robotic jerkiness, bad loops and in at least one scene some oddly flickering textures.

Also while a non-issue for the bulk of the game the MC's child model looks like a tiny crackhead and perhaps somehow older than he looks as an adult.

ANYWAY regardless of any of that I had a great time with it. It has my recommendation.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

MikesDK

Story 2/5
    Story is ok but it dident really catch my interrest, front page talks about how you will shape the MC by the choices you make, but thats not really true since you cant even controle who you want to be with, which makes alot of the story a kinetic novel which is a type i personaly never play.

My main problem is forced LIs and being forced to be with prostitutes on top of that dident help any, you cant pick a faithfull route since you cant say no to those you might want to, but for weird reasons some you can turn down which makes it even more idiotic that other LIs are forced, Rio being the top whore in the brothel is a forced LI and im just not a fan of constantly going to fuck her then go back home to hes GF Sunny which was the only one i really cared about, really dont see why Rio had to be forced.

Also stuff like Anal is forced on you, in case you arent into that stuff.

You would think MC was an angry fucker wanting to get some revenge after the story starts with hes parrents getting killed but no, this isent an action game as you might hope for, instend MC wants to save prostutites? but ofcause not without fucking them him self? it dident really make much sense to me, MC also has the standard childish mindset as alot of VNs which i find very boring.

Girls 2/5
    I just dident find any of them hot, they do have some diversity in builds.

Animations 3/5
    They are average at best.

Music 3/5
    Pretty average but most of it does suit the game.
  3. 4.00 star(s)

Grizzzzly

Very well made, good start as of V0.6.0. This is a VN with a few choices that seem to offer some changes and a couple of different paths.

Now to be clear, this VN has
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So if that is not your gig, move on, it will make your head explode. Like, really, don't play it and then show up in the comments section and fill pages of bitching.

Otherwise, this is a "White Knight" kinda guy, gonna save them all, be really nice about it, and the LIs will all love him for it.

Art is really good - excellent
    English - very good, story flows and conversations are good
    Plot - nice setup, but it is very early, so not much on the way of the plot and development. Its a nice feel good (excepting the prologue) kinda VN.
    Animations - a few and nicely done
    Sex scenes - good, great art and part of the story

I hope the Dev continues, doesn't worry about all the complaining about a certain type of LI, it looks to be a very interesting project.
  4. 4.00 star(s)

Silk_Ari

There's no 3.5 so Ill round up and give it a 4.

Fun concept going back in time to the times of the wild west... story is ok, characters/renders look good. The down side is that it feels like another generic VN with not much personality to it sadly. Still, having said that, it's not terrible by any means.

Though I wonder why go with A**t/C***n route instead of the M****r/D***r if ur going to have inc***t? Seems to me you could of had 4 character development to go that route instead of 2....

Good luck!
  5. 2.00 star(s)

Queen Daenerys

The Pros:

Aunt Faye
    Jane

The Cons:

- The main character is too easily persuaded.
    - None of the content or love interest are avoidable.
    - The story is flat.
    - Too much inner dialogue.
    - Fails at trying to be serious.

If you came in thinking this was going to be some wild wild west, shoot em up, Red Dead Redemption game like I was you're sadly in for disappointment. The Dev puts together this dramatic opening where your parents get executed, there's this time skip, you think that the MC would have this dark edge or side to him but no, he immediately starts serving on his Aunt and cousin. That's mostly all he's accomplished so far.

Easily manipulated and persuaded, I'm expecting he has vengeance on his mind but so far he's too busy skimping and trying to save prostitutes. Speaking of that, 2 of your 6 love interests are hardcore prostitutes and you can't can't do anything about it or avoid them. I've tried. Lily all but brags about Rio being her best girl but of course the MC wants to "save her", it's ludicrous. I'm wanting to do some cowboy shit and avenge my family's death and so far I'm offered to lick toes... and save hoes..

Devs also do that annoying thing when they know what character the players desire more so they take forever with progressing their relationships and shove a bunch of random characters in your face that you don't want. Faye is obvious the prize but of course the dev is going to stall and take forever with her, Jane isn't bad herself but it's Faye all the way. You confront the guy who gave your parents a loan, that was lackluster and by that time I was ready to quit.

I may check back on this but then again I probably won't.
  6. 4.00 star(s)

neo37

Excellent Femdom route with one of the heroines, I just hope there is more femdom content with the others, especially with the hot aunt and naughty cousin. Other than that, I just found it a little strange that choosing a DOM/SUB route doesn't change the protagonist's behavior in the other routes.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Hedylogos

Was not sure what to think when I decided to download it, but I liked westerns growing up, so I figured I would give it a chance.

So far as of v.0.5.0, I am truly enjoying it. Not a ton of games set in this era and the storylines have some potential. I like the wide variety of possible love interests. Got bits of love, corruption, etc. Good mix overall.

The graphics are solid. Not top tier, but good and the animations are the same. They are good and well done.

Love the narration and the internal monologue. Gives you more of an inside look at the mc. Felt the discussions were thorough, without being too much.

Looking forward to future releases!
  8. 5.00 star(s)

KawaiiandOmoshiroi

Loved the femdom path so far.
    Sadly it's only one woman with an optional path, but it's well written and with good, hot scenes.
    the game doesn't have fake "femdom" about vaginal sex and blowjobs while being called toy. It does have femdom with playful humillation and worshipping her body, instead of her yours.
    For a more harem, vanilla and maledom focused game it surprised me the quality of the male submissive content. And the path is being updated, not just an afterthought.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

sunqian3000

It's very nice. The story is rich and unique. restoring the Old American West with less violence.
    Girls are very beautiful in their designs, both facial details and body details show the different ages of different characters.
    The story is richer than I thought. At first reading the introduction, I didn't expect the author to create so many storylines within the context of the story.
    What is special about this work is that you can feel its story wonderful without looking at the words at all. Picture performance is very strong.
  10. 4.00 star(s)

DABOMB00

I think this has potential. Good looking visuals with an interesting plot by the looks of it. I really like the Wild West setting i havent seen a Vn with that sorta plot so far. So i think its definetly worth checking out, the story so far evolves around a mysterie but there seems to be an obvious bad guy it will be interesting to see if there are any plot twist or if its as straightforward as it might seem. Sometimes the faces are a bit wierd but overall it looks good and im excited to see where this will go.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

sarapaca

A promising game. Looking forward to the next release. The renderings are excellent and the theme is different from the usual games we have here. I hope it will pick up some steam and it would be nice to include a native girl and a school teacher.
  12. 4.00 star(s)

HasbroMB

(v.3.0)
    I like this a lot. It's a very straightforward VN, with a few, clear choices, no non-intuitive you-picked-doornumber2-so-it's-gameover-in-10-turns BS. The renders are good, lots of nice variety of composition, and the sex-scenes, though few, are very well done. The female models are a bit of mixed bag, but I think that's because of the effort of keeping it real to the setting. I love the MILF (that's my weakness), and the MC is a little cringy, but way better than most.

The thing is set in the wild west, and there's a good effort in design to maintain the atmosphere. This is refreshing, especially after so many of these things with the same campuses, same bars, restaurants and coffee shops. Yeah, very competently put together VN.

Gosh-darn tarnation, though, the words, the words... Nothing wrong with the English, but we got narration, we got internal monologues, and we got people nattering at each other from Natchez to Deadwood. It seems that every story beat is finished off with a dinner scene with the MC and his adopted family, all nattering at each other like George, Elaine and Jerry in the diner.

I'd give this 5 stars if the dev:
    - got rid of the narration
    - got rid of the internal monologues. Seriously, the MC is looking up at the sun, wiping his forehead, and he thinks "boy, it's hot." I mean, c'mon.
    - cut the dialogue by 50%. Everybody just talks way too much. And the writing ain't Tarentino.
    Ask yourself, are these words really necessary? All they make me do is wear out the spacebar.

My opinion on these kinds of things, and I realize that others may think differently, is that Visual Novel is visual first, text second. Too much nattering is one of the most common flaws I see in these things

Anyway, it's early on, so there's time to fix it. And apart from that, like I say, I really like this.
  13. 3.00 star(s)

drcynic22

I wanted to like this more than I actually did. I certainly don't want to discourage the dev. There's a story here and it's not bad per se. The art is fairly average and the characters are pretty cookie cutter. Also, the dev writes so much text at a time that the text box ends up covering up large portions of the screen. I'd recommend either adding the ability to change the opacity of the text box or at least try not to cram so much text into each individual bit of dialogue.

I'm not going to give up on this one just yet, but there are some little tweaks and changes that could REALLY help this one out. Right now, it's very average.
  14. 4.00 star(s)

brig106

Not to bad, it isn't rushing headlong to the same old sex route. Looks like it may have a few twists and turns, which will add adventure the game. I guess that the incest part will be between aunt and MC, although it isn't in the true sense. I think he needs to learn how to fight to improve some reality into the game, that would be the job of the bartender maybe?
  15. 5.00 star(s)

I_Only_Support_Real_Onez

This is for v0.2.0. Renders are decent. The women are beautiful. SFX are a plus. Animations are good not great but having them is definitely a bonus. Being a western its something I dont think Ive seen in a AVN so its pretty interesting. The story is still heavily in its infant state so its leaning towards relationships without him thinking about revenge at this point but it was a fun playthrough. Cant wait for more.
  16. 3.00 star(s)

MidnightKing

Review for V0.1.0 Basic

I'm going to be a bit harsher with this review in hopes that things really do get improved. A good western AVN is something I would like to play. But so far, this isn't exactly cutting it for me.

Take away the western theme and this is just another run-of-the-mill visual novel you see so commonly on this site. You would think that after having his parents killed, this would lead to a bit of a tougher MC right? Wrong. The MC acts like all the other basic ones. A simple nice guy who turns into a nervous virgin whenever anything remotely erotic happens. I'm so tired of this. A lot of the choices so far boil down to "Ah my aunt is bending over, should I look?" and when you look, "Ah I shouldn't be doing this, that's my aunt! What's happening to me!"
    With inner thoughts of perving on all of the women he sees.

Next the music. Man, if you're going to make a western game, please use music that fits the theme. There is a sequence of events where just this odd electronic music is playing. In a western game. Super jarring to say the least. For the rest of it, some of it fits and some of it doesn't plain and simple.

The renders aren't really bad, but I feel like the standard has gone up lately. This just can't really compare to those. It would be something I could look past if the rest of the game was great, but it just isn't so far. Same with the animations. They exist, but they aren't the smoothest I've seen.

The dialogue and writing feel pretty basic as well. The English is good (beyond a couple minor mistakes I've noticed) but nothing really stands out so far. Also, the weird narration needs to be cut imo. Completely unnecessary and kind of kills the flow. You don't need a narrator saying "A woman calls out to MC" followed by the woman literally calling out to him right after.

Now there are a couple things I did like. The renders do give off the western vibe. I like the character models for the most part too, and when the right music is playing I can see getting immersed in the western vibe.

TLDR - Right now this is just a very average game with a western twist slapped on to it. Nothing really stands out so far. Granted it's only the first version, maybe things will improve. I'll update this review if they do.

If you read this dev, I hope you take what I said into consideration. All I can really ask for at the end of the day. Good luck on making your game.