On the UK Online Safety Bill

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
The mom has the final say over what injections she takes, regardless of who tells her what. It's called personal responsibility. She can choose to listen to the medical community or her son, that's her choice to make and no court has any business interfering. The notion that the government is the sole arbiter of what's true and that differing opinions are subject to censorship / prosecution is extremely disturbing, I don't know how some people can't see that.
read again what i wrote. unless you're intentionally trying to harm your mother, you aren't doing anything wrong according to the bill. do you think it's should be ok to intentionally try to harm your mother?

Stupid anti-vaxxers can't talk to their moms. :(
another one who can't read.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Of course he has a problem with that, as do i, and as should *you* as well. Section 182, like a lot of laws nowadays, fails to take proper context in consideration. Yeah, punishing someone for sending death threats or serious harm is, as a rule of thumb, a good thing... Problem is however, every rule has their exceptions. Jailing a concerned father for defending his 14-year-old daughter against a sexual predator praying on his child is nothing short of absurd... Sure, he might have implied on his messages that he'd take extreme measures if worst comes to worst, but i ask you, what father wouldn't? Are we really going to start concerning about what a clearly distraught father says online to some creep, that is preying on his children?!

As someone excellently pointed out above, laws must concern the intent of the agent, not be an all-encompassing institution that will inevitably lead to injustices committed for the sake of our children's protection (heh, how ironic...)
you people act like this happened. it was something white phantom made up to gather angry folks with pitchforks. who says this scenario will ever come to the court? you think that sexual predator is gonna call the police? and even if it comes to court, who says the court won't look at context? and who says this isn't how the law is written in most civilized countries, because we shouldn't allow death threats.

if you want to protect your daughter, and other people's daughters, then you can report the predator to the police and/or threaten the predator with the police. that would be a much more effective deterrent and will possibly get the predator sentenced for a crime.

you people make up excuses to be scared and upset. chill

rangaru

Jun 25, 2017
you people act like this happened.
You know what happens in GB without this bill?

You know what happens in the same time?

"Conservative" goverment and its priorities, lol.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
You know what happens in GB without this bill?

You know what happens in the same time?

"Conservative" goverment and its priorities, lol.
nothing happened. he was suspected of hate crime but was released without charge. cry some more over nothing.

rangaru

Jun 25, 2017
nothing happened.
Idk, if police coming to someone house, scaring and arresting them for speaking their mind is "nothing".

There is hundreds of examples of this pattern already and all, I repeat, without this bill.

And I don't cry over it, if Brits wants to live in that sort of country, they fully deserve it and I support them.

Oct 13, 2018
Those not from the UK need to understand that the UK Gov is a shambles run by numskulls and poofters who are going to get mercilessly BTFO in the next election. Like everything they do this bill will be a complete mess, a mixture of noncompliance, non enforcement, vaguely set out rules that the courts can't understand.

Nothing will come of the bill and Labour will have no interest in dealing with it when they get in. Charlie will probably seal the pos bill personally with a red ink butt cheek impression.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
From what I understand OfCom has been heavily defunded under the tories so how much they will be able to police the net when they already can't do the tasks they already had.

If you are from the UK and want to really hit the Tories where it hurts I'd suggest filing OfCom complaints about untruths on the newswebsites of the rightwing media (Think the Sun, The Telegraph, The Financial Times etc.) They where especially happy to publish clear untruths about the EU. (Something about bendy bananas vaguely comes to mind.) Hey It's illegal now :)
Also helps if you can catch large Tory donors and politicians lying on the internet and report that.
There is no better way to hit a political party than to limit the way they raise funds and gather votes.

The UK Government cannot make a law that binds somebody in the USA, that should be completely illegal in the USA (but its not illegal for them to try in the UK) and the US Courts should protect their citizens from it, but that's what they're trying to do here.

So if an American broke this bill in America, the UK Government could try and prosecute them and they give themselves the power to do so under that Act.

Now you'd hope the US Courts getting the request would go "get fucked you have no power here"
Well yes and no. There might be treaties and such that may allow for one country to extradite a citizen of another country to face trail in the first country for crimes committed there. It is a lengthy process that can result in a hard no for various reasons.

But if that fails economic, military and soft power come into play. All of which the UK is lacking on since Brexit. Soft power has been squandered by the dozen Tory leaders over the last decade (trying to crash the world into an economic crises is not appreciated by other leaders). Economic, the UK needs the other countries more then they need the UK as their reliance on imports has heavily increased and they don't have the backing of the EU anymore to give their words weight and militarily they can't do shit because the US and EU will get really mad and show the UK how much the UK needs them economically.
The is already a thing since more than a year ; and a bit more serious and thoughts beforehand.
If the EU is good at one thing it is writing laws. (I don't always agree with them but on a whole they are a net positive). It is not easy wrangling over two dozen countries with a napoleon complex, very different cultures, wants, needs and levels of economic development and get them to agree on anything.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Idk, if police coming to someone house, scaring and arresting them for speaking their mind is "nothing".

There is hundreds of examples of this pattern already and all, I repeat, without this bill.
what's your point? i don't see how this bill gives more room for the police to arrest you for just speaking your mind. the bill requires you to have intent to harm someone.

rangaru

Jun 25, 2017
the bill requires you to have intent to harm someone.
How in your opinion police can guess someones intent? Unless there is malicious conspiracy, intent is always assumed based on actions. It gives judge interpretative freedom, and police more tools to harrass people with "wrong" opinion, which is increasing in GB, not decreasing. And its increasing despite the goverment being theoreticaly in favor of free speech.

I'm talking about patterns of police and institutions behaviour, not much about any particular cases. Good thing is that the british passport is still strong, so people with dissident views can and should migrate.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
How in your opinion police can guess someones intent? Unless there is malicious conspiracy, intent is always assumed based on actions. It gives judge interpretative freedom, and police more tools to harrass people with "wrong" opinion, which is increasing in GB, not decreasing. And its increasing despite the goverment being theoreticaly in favor of free speech.

I'm talking about patterns of police and institutions behaviour, not much about any particular cases. Good thing is that the british passport is still strong, so people with dissident views can and should migrate.
who said guess? the court can't guess, they need to prove it. do you even know how this bill changes things? do you know it makes it easier for police to "harrass people with 'wrong' opinion"?

all i see is a bill that goes after hate mongering and people wanting to hurt other people online. behave like a fucking normal decent person and you will have no problem with the law.

rangaru

Jun 25, 2017
the court can't guess, they need to prove it.
Intent is internal tought. Can court read minds?
do you know it makes it easier for police to "harrass people with 'wrong' opinion"?
Patterns. We know for a fact (I send you two links, I can send more if you want), that police already harasses people with "wrong" opinions, with little to none legal basis to do it.
Bill gives them tools to search, arrest and otherwise harrass people with the goal of finding "harmful intent".
You can joke about being just arrested, having your house and private information searched, but I don't think is really funny. It also sends a message to your employer, bank etc. who "just don't want the trouble" so they let you off.

behave like a fucking normal decent person and you will have no problem with the law.
"Don't say you views publicly and you will be left alone". Yeah I agree, as someone from the post-communist country, this is how most people act and it's fine.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Intent is internal tought. Can court read minds?
do you know how many laws take into account the intent? if you kill someone, it's a big difference if you did it on purpose or by accident. deciding what is what is what courts are for. don't try to act like this is something new in judicial processes.

Patterns. We know for a fact (I send you two links, I can send more if you want), that police already harasses people with "wrong" opinions, with little to none legal basis to do it.
Bill gives them tools to search, arrest and otherwise harrass people with the goal of finding "harmful intent".
i asked if you knew that the bill made it easier for the police to harrass. you haven't showed that.

"Don't say you views publicly and you will be left alone". Yeah I agree, as someone from the post-communist country, this is how most people act and it's fine.
if your views are so bad that they cause people harm and you know it and want it, yeah, shut the fuck up.

rangaru

Jun 25, 2017
deciding what is what is what courts are for.
Yes, but they are not metaphisical creatures, but human beings. They take on the accord circumstances, other evidence and make guess about the intent. Sometimes, it may shock you, courts are wrongfuly convict people, not to mentions assuming wrong intent.
i asked if you knew that the bill made it easier for the police to harrass. you haven't showed that.
I did. Police need to base their actions on the law. Giving them law to with such broad statements as "misinformation", gives them basis to search, arrest, collect evidence.
And I don't need to proof anything. I see a pattern of previous behaviour and assume consequences of giving police more tools. It maybe incorrect, but it not a baseless assumption like you are trying to suggest. It's reasonable doubt.

if your views are so bad that they cause people harm and you know it and want it, yeah, shut the fuck up.
That's what i'm saying, they should emigrate. Idk why someone would like to live with a country with people like you, although i wish ingsoc project good luck.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Yes, but they are not metaphisical creatures, but human beings. They take on the accord circumstances, other evidence and make guess about the intent. Sometimes, it may shock you, courts are wrongfuly convict people, not to mentions assuming wrong intent.
and? this is not something new so why do you act like it is?

I did. Police need to base their actions on the law. Giving them law to with such broad statements as "misinformation", gives them basis to search, arrest, collect evidence.
no you haven't shown what the law was BEFORE this bill. you must compare the law before and after to show it is easier. just as with the intent, you fail to understand that just because something is mentioned in this bill doesn't mean it wasn't that way before too.

That's what i'm saying, they should emigrate. Idk why someone would like to live with a country with people like you, although i wish ingsoc project good luck.
i don't live in the uk. which country do you live in where it's considered okay to threaten and harm people online?

rangaru

Jun 25, 2017
and? this is not something new so why do you act like it is?
You acted like intent was some kind of fact that can be proven, when it is assumption based circumstances.
you must compare the law before and after to show it is easier.
No, I don't. Previous law isn't repealed, so new law give police more tools, not less. lol.
which country do you live in where it's considered okay to threaten and harm people online?
Inciting violence was already banned. I don't agree with someones views being "harmful" or "offensive" are equal to raiding someones house, scaring his children and couple, invading their privacy and potentialy costing them work and bank account. One is subjective dissatifaction, and second is objective potentialy traumatisng and life ruining harm.
In medivial Japan if peasant offended samurai, his head was chopped on the spot. I guess it isn't smart for him to offend honor of the glorious Nippon, but I think it's over the top today.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
You acted like intent was some kind of fact that can be proven, when it is assumption based circumstances.
it must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. again, this is not something new but you act like it is. give up.

No, I don't. Previous law isn't repealed, so new law give police more tools, not less. lol.
how much do i need to spell it out for you? how do you know it gives the police more tools if you don't know what the old laws say? you're just assuming with no evidence. you're just guessing. this is NOT how courts "guess", to refer to the thing about intent.

Inciting violence was already banned. I don't agree with someones views being "harmful" or "offensive" are equal to raiding someones house, scaring his children and couple, invading their privacy and potentialy costing them work and bank account. One is subjective dissatifaction, and second is objective potentialy traumatisng and life ruining harm.
so why you crying about the new bill when this was happening before the bill according to you? either way, the bill requires intent to harm. that thing you don't get.

funny thing, this line of discussion started with white phantom saying you could be sent to jail for advising your mom not to take the vaccine. which is completely wrong since you would need to know that was false information AND INTEND TO HARM mom. white phatom acts like he is knowledgable in law but can't even understand a section written in simple english.
accordig to this bill (and maybe earlier because i don't know what the law was before), white phantom could be breaking the law by spreading false information in this thread, causing people like you and others to be upset and worried - harmed. if he is educated in law, he would know he was lying and then he should know he was harming people with his lies. so white phantom is either incompetent or he deserves to go to jail according to the bill.