VN Ren'Py One More Time from the Top [v0.32] [Mad Jubal]

4.80 star(s) 6 Votes

maxbritney

Feb 10, 2019
Hi. The game looks amazing. I was wondering if you're going to design this as "Coming Out on Top", which is one of the best VN's I've ever played. Keep up the great werk :love:!

P.S. I hope the sex scenes won't be censored.

MadJubal

Game Developer
Jun 28, 2019
Hi. The game looks amazing. I was wondering if you're going to design this as "Coming Out on Top", which is one of the best VN's I've ever played. Keep up the great werk :love:!

P.S. I hope the sex scenes won't be censored.
Thank you! I'm glad you like the game!
COOT... Well, I don't know exactly what do you mean whit that, you mean art wise? or story?. Obviously it has many similar things... but, I'll try to make my own different game. I have to agree that COOT was a very good game.

Sex scenes... NOT censored! Obviously! Who wants to play a censored game?? I rather just do an erotic novel than pixelate willies everywhere! The game is a slow burn and it will take time until proper sex happens. There will be plenty of nude guys before, don't worry about that. I'm not really comfortable drawing or writing those scenes yet but time and support will help me to overcome the fear :)

Again, thank you! ;)

Reactions: mortimerX

MadJubal

Game Developer
Jun 28, 2019
Ok, for the record i still think it's funny that you were actually on my Discord and I didn't realize this was your project until yesterday, lol. But seriously, I'm completely humbled that my project gave you motivation. I'll never fully figure out a way to say how i feel about that but it's pretty warm and fuzzy. But enough about me...

But take your time and do it to your liking man. The best mindset I think I got into was me doing the project for me and no one else. I also think deadlines are a mistake for some people. I used to give myself deadlines and I ended up cutting entire sections from my game just to meet them. Sections that I kinda regret now. The fans of my project have been more than supportive when I'm moving slower, i think because they know by now that I'm serious about it. That's the part that takes the longest--so many projects get abandoned that people think you just do this shit for the money and that's it. Takes time for people to take you seriously when you say you're dedicated to the project and not the paycheck.

And dude, haters are gonna hate regardless. There's an entire YouTube series that publicly hates on my game and they do an awful job at it. Comments were entertaining for awhile because they were soooo judgmental and didn't even make sense. Like, i was entertained by how stupid they were in their attempt to make fun of my game. But i decided that i was a one man show back then and I had more paying subscribers than he did free YouTube comments. And I saw the type of crowd that his comments were attracting, he was sorta like the Nick Fury for gay, judgmental assholes. Far as I'm concerned, least he assembled them all in one place. A certain demographic will always find flaws--whether they there or not. Just recognize whether the message is valid or if it's something you can do right now. Shit is overwhelming as fuck to do solo man. But your base fans will understand that if they believe in your project.
Yeah, man. I should have said something, but your discord is yours and your games'. I don't like to talk there and promote my game, it feels cheap, so I kept it a bit hidden.

I've been cutting scenes a few times already of things I wanted to do and never had time because deadlines. Having to do art and writing in a month is not really much time but I don't want people to think I'm not serious about the project and I have delayed, I try just a few day or a week delay.
You've been doing yours for over two years and people can trust you now. And reading you in discord we can see how much time you spend on the game and in the end you always deliver.

Thank you man, I really appreciate your word...
:whistle:

Reactions: mortimerX and Aaryn

MadJubal

Game Developer
Jun 28, 2019
I'm not gay, but for some reason I take a perverse pleasure in playing gay games and then turning down anyone who propositions me.
Lol

That is a different way of playing a game! I'll give you that!
Btw, you can still play the game and avoid most of the gay stuff and be the very best there is in the showbiz, just saying!

X

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
just curious but...

did you by chance coop with this ?

or maybe get inspired or something..

your art is super similar... o_O

MadJubal

Game Developer
Jun 28, 2019
just curious but...

did you by chance coop with this ?

or maybe get inspired or something..

your art is super similar... o_O

COOT and Straight!? made me want to make a game. They inspired me to create a game even when I have no idea of programming or storytelling.

The art you see in my game is my style. It's always been. I'm incapable of drawing gore and violence and dark characters. I think the world is horrible enough to bring that to my story and art. I believe you can see that in mine and Obscura's art. The colour palette is very similar. And I don't do furry or manga (I drink from American comic books style) so I think both games' art is very similar in that aspect.

Tomorrow I'm releasing last month's free version. You can see a bit more final art in it. I'm trying to remove the awful sketches and placeholders to try to get more followers :ROFLMAO:

BTW, I took it as a compliment, hope you were being mean LOL

Thank you!!

• Love
Reactions: mortimerX

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
COOT and Straight!? made me want to make a game. They inspired me to create a game even when I have no idea of programming or storytelling.

The art you see in my game is my style. It's always been. I'm incapable of drawing gore and violence and dark characters. I think the world is horrible enough to bring that to my story and art. I believe you can see that in mine and Obscura's art. The colour palette is very similar. And I don't do furry or manga (I drink from American comic books style) so I think both games' art is very similar in that aspect.

Tomorrow I'm releasing last month's free version. You can see a bit more final art in it. I'm trying to remove the awful sketches and placeholders to try to get more followers :ROFLMAO:

BTW, I took it as a compliment, hope you were being mean LOL

Thank you!!
i didnt wanted to be bad XD... i just think about it because for me, arts on both are very similar. and i thougth maybe you work on multiples projects or you "share" you talent.

just my curiosity , no need to worry aabout it XD

Reactions: MadJubal

MadJubal

Game Developer
Jun 28, 2019
i didnt wanted to be bad XD... i just think about it because for me, arts on both are very similar. and i thougth maybe you work on multiples projects or you "share" you talent.

just my curiosity , no need to worry aabout it XD
i understand. COOT is kind of a reference for gay VN.

This is my first project. No previous experience is making games

X

playingmyrole

Aug 7, 2017
Just dropping in to say that I absolutely love what you are doing with your game...I am truly invested in the story and love the characters and artstyle :love:. You must have put in so much of effort and time in this.

Keep up the good work and hopefully I will get to see this game released one day. Thank you for this gem :)

Reactions: Shilou

Kurobatique

Oct 11, 2019
I tested the game, despite the fact that the design isn't my thing at all, but from what I understand it's a temporary design. The story looks good, the characters aren't too clichéd so it's nice.
Hopefully the story will unlock quickly, and I'd like the final design.
Cheer up !

MadJubal

Game Developer
Jun 28, 2019
Just dropping in to say that I absolutely love what you are doing with your game...I am truly invested in the story and love the characters and artstyle :love:. You must have put in so much of effort and time in this.

Keep up the good work and hopefully I will get to see this game released one day. Thank you for this gem :)
WOW! Thank you so much! Your words mean a lot to me, honestly.
I spend like 40 hours a week working on the game, ngl. All my free time goes in that. I wish it were more popular (I knew I should have done furry, dammit!) but this project is really important to me. I'm really happy you love it.
X

I tested the game, despite the fact that the design isn't my thing at all, but from what I understand it's a temporary design. The story looks good, the characters aren't too clichéd so it's nice.
Hopefully the story will unlock quickly, and I'd like the final design.
Cheer up !
Menus and texbox and all that is temporal. Backgrounds and scenes are getting properly done in the next few versions. The sprites are the only think I would say is permanent. I spent sooo many hours working on them that I don't think the mental capacity to start over.
I like how in Extracurricular Activities and Straight!? the authors treat the story and characters. I'm trying to make a slice of live, kind of real people game. How they would act and talk, not just 'Hey, let's fuck'.
Hope you stick around!

art kinda looks like "good girl gone bad"
Thanks? I'll try to improve it a bit then

cheryl_c

Dec 10, 2018
I think your game is great, it's really one of the best gay themed VNs available on the internet. The story seems really nice though from what I've played before, it feels like it's just a small piece of a story.
One of the things I really like about your game is the fact that it's almost as open world as a visual novel can be, not like a lot of other ones where you have no possibilities to explore the world. I would recommend you to add even more of this, so the main character can go elsewhere sometimes - to a bathroom, change clothes and go out naked lol. I think it's fun when you can have some more control, it feels more like a game, not just like a movie.
Thank you for this, I hope you'll find time to work more on this promising game - so just take your time and... good luck! <3

MadJubal

Game Developer
Jun 28, 2019
I think your game is great, it's really one of the best gay themed VNs available on the internet. The story seems really nice though from what I've played before, it feels like it's just a small piece of a story.
One of the things I really like about your game is the fact that it's almost as open world as a visual novel can be, not like a lot of other ones where you have no possibilities to explore the world. I would recommend you to add even more of this, so the main character can go elsewhere sometimes - to a bathroom, change clothes and go out naked lol. I think it's fun when you can have some more control, it feels more like a game, not just like a movie.
Thank you for this, I hope you'll find time to work more on this promising game - so just take your time and... good luck! <3
Oh wow! Thanks for the kind words! I'm really glad you like the game!
Yes, it's just the beginning of the story. There is so much more I want to explore and tell... and more guys, of course! The love and mystery has yet to happen!
I always like the idea of an "open world" in VN. I'm planing to add more locations with time so the player can choose what to do and which guy is more interested in.
The locations of the open world would be open when something interesting can happen. I dislike the idea of making the player click different locations until finding something interesting. Let's say, you choose to go to the canteen, you go there and oh it's empty, and go back to the main menu. That is boring and frustrating. So for that NOT to happen I have to write something in that location, and that requires time that I sadly don't have for now. I still trying to finish some backgrounds and sprites and side character's image, body and facial hair and more things.
Wow, I think I wrote too much and I don't even know if it's related to what you said xD
Anyway! Thank you for stoping by and play the game!
x

kaorok

May 31, 2017
Hi! I came here after I saw you comment on the gay farming game, and I was curious to see your "I should've added a furry to my game, damnit!" work. It looks good! Reminds me of COOT without looking like a lazy plagiarism, the general art style is good (although, as some mentioned, there's something wonky with some characters' eyes), and you actually respond to feedback and critiques without threatening to LEAVE THE INTERNET FOREVER. You get props from me!

You may want to add a link to this game in your signature though, I have to admit I had to go over your last few posts to find this thread. And a banner! We all love banners, and make sure the characters are posed with one shoulder above the other to make everyone know they're gay. :p

(Also, yeah, you should've added a furry. :p )

MadJubal

Game Developer
Jun 28, 2019
Hi! I came here after I saw you comment on the gay farming game, and I was curious to see your "I should've added a furry to my game, damnit!" work. It looks good! Reminds me of COOT without looking like a lazy plagiarism, the general art style is good (although, as some mentioned, there's something wonky with some characters' eyes), and you actually respond to feedback and critiques without threatening to LEAVE THE INTERNET FOREVER. You get props from me!

You may want to add a link to this game in your signature though, I have to admit I had to go over your last few posts to find this thread. And a banner! We all love banners, and make sure the characters are posed with one shoulder above the other to make everyone know they're gay. :p

(Also, yeah, you should've added a furry. :p )
Oh thank you for passing by! It's important to have feedback, good and bad, as long as is done is a respectful way. I read some comments like "this game is cancer" and obviously I'm not gonna waste my time with that, but like yours, are always welcome! Feel free to point anything you don't like!

The good thing of working with sprites is that I can change then any time, and it would do it in the game, not like rendered games, so, don't worry, some things will change in the future. My problem now is that I have a tablet for drawing for beginners (I draw on the tablet and I look at the screen, its a bit complicate for me) and I'm trying to get a better one (where you draw straight to the screen, easier and faster).

About looking like COOT... well, it was never my intention, I have always draw this way since like forever. That's my style at the end of the day.

You are totally right! I should do al the banner thing. Thank you very much! That's why I need feedback!!

And who knows? Maybe if one day I reach 100 patrons I would do the sprites as furries and get another version of the game! Oh the sweet money!!! xD

X

kaorok

May 31, 2017
My advice to you is the same advice I give to all 2D artists I know who are starting out - learn how to draw furries, and open up your channels to furry commissions. At the very least, you should be able to afford your groceries while you hone your craft. :D

4.80 star(s) 6 Votes