2D Opinions on my Pixel Art

DillyDubzee

Aug 5, 2019
I’m planning on making a game where you build your own dungeon and you corrupt the adventurers that invade it. Here are two examples of the style I’m going for:

9F872148-E831-4DB9-98D5-6B3D3AFF98C3.png 53961729-7DCE-48E5-8059-422887A239C1.png

Here are two examples before I added details:

9A215324-F005-4DB7-A957-6A48AAAEAD54.png CE0B58CA-7B39-42F2-9D3C-95F0289BE442.png

The style was inspired by games like Flying Princess Interbreed and I’ve been learning Pixel Art for the past 9 months to replicate it, though progress is very slow I feel like I just need to learn animation and then I’m set. Any opinions on the style? Any critique or recommendations?

also bonus Ankha I made :3
42E784FE-50CC-43C7-8700-BA76A8616FF8.png 5284A538-4432-45C8-8C9D-279828AA000A.png

Glorified_ignorance

Mar 28, 2019
Expected lil animation there or at least more examples, but never mind, it looks great!

Time you spent in learning it surely shows.

Keep it up! Looking forward for more o/

Reactions: DillyDubzee

DillyDubzee

Aug 5, 2019
Expected lil animation there or at least more examples, but never mind, it looks great!

Time you spent in learning it surely shows.

Keep it up! Looking forward for more o/
I've been trying many different styles, so I don't have much in terms of what I think is relevant for what I'm going for, I have however just finished up one of my animations.

Faceless(Sakura).gif

I think I have a long way to go but I'd appreciate anyone else's thoughts.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Glorified_ignorance

Glorified_ignorance

Mar 28, 2019
I've been trying many different styles, so I don't have much in terms of what I think is relevant for what I'm going for, I have however just finished up one of my animations.

View attachment 2928045

I think I have a long way to go but I'd appreciate anyone else's thoughts.
Style naturally builds up overtime, having references is as good as it can be, swapping details or two around.
If you are worried of style do a challenge for yourself. Take a 30 days challenge. And try to avoid using any reference during it. It's done as simple as picking any object, character or whatever and each new day drawing a different variation of it(themes, usage of it, positioning, shape ect ect). for example: pick a cup, draw a christmas hat on top, a lil present next to it, and maybe christmas tree behind, and a logo of "merry xmas" on cup itself, next day draw same static cup, but in different environment. Really anything, the more different details you will be able to add each new day on same object, should drastically help you. Oddly enough it works, pixel art are no exception, works best in traditional tho ^^ But if you got the general idea, you can start practicing, you might as well pick 2-3 different objects and daily try to enhance those differently. The more you can produce in such "rushed" way the easier it will become to generate things, in your case multiple elements, which combined gives you a style. It's neither hard or complicated, it takes time.

You can animate and draw, id fap to that :HideThePain:

You can also just update this thread with your progress on mentioned challenge I offered, maybe in different way the one that suits you better, and in such case building up way and showing more of what you are capable, by the end of 30 days reviewing the progress, surely someone else will drop by and give their thoughts as well, this surely will attract more crowd here.

Well whatever you will decide, you already got someone eyes.png you.

Good luck!

DillyDubzee

Aug 5, 2019
Style naturally builds up overtime, having references is as good as it can be, swapping details or two around.
If you are worried of style do a challenge for yourself. Take a 30 days challenge. And try to avoid using any reference during it. It's done as simple as picking any object, character or whatever and each new day drawing a different variation of it(themes, usage of it, positioning, shape ect ect). for example: pick a cup, draw a christmas hat on top, a lil present next to it, and maybe christmas tree behind, and a logo of "merry xmas" on cup itself, next day draw same static cup, but in different environment. Really anything, the more different details you will be able to add each new day on same object, should drastically help you. Oddly enough it works, pixel art are no exception, works best in traditional tho ^^ But if you got the general idea, you can start practicing, you might as well pick 2-3 different objects and daily try to enhance those differently. The more you can produce in such "rushed" way the easier it will become to generate things, in your case multiple elements, which combined gives you a style. It's neither hard or complicated, it takes time.

You can animate and draw, id fap to that :HideThePain:

You can also just update this thread with your progress on mentioned challenge I offered, maybe in different way the one that suits you better, and in such case building up way and showing more of what you are capable, by the end of 30 days reviewing the progress, surely someone else will drop by and give their thoughts as well, this surely will attract more crowd here.

Well whatever you will decide, you already got someone View attachment 2928151 you.

Good luck!
Sounds like a great idea. Worse outcome is that I do some dull pixel art which I'm not gonna complain about that cause the more hours I put in the better. I'll do leaves for now, might add something else or change it down the line. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm not gonna update it every day, might not even complete it but we'll see how it goes.

Day 1

Leaf - Day 1.png

DillyDubzee

Aug 5, 2019
Looks cute! The humans look great, and I love the dithering on the apple and flower.
Thanks for much! I appreciate the kind words.

Day 5

Leaf - Day 5.png

A tree! Looks pretty Mediocre, trees are a pretty big weakness of mine and drawing one without a reference didn't make it any easier. I'll get there though.

DillyDubzee

Aug 5, 2019
Day 8

Leaf - Day 8.png

Day 9

Leaf - Day 9.png

Been awhile so here's day 8 and 9 in one. Day 8 is meant to be vines growing along a wall, but I feel like I didn't execute the idea properly. Day 9 is a sword with a vine wrapped around it, looks kinda neat.

Wolfikins

Feb 19, 2018
Not bad, you've got some solid foundations, and you're only gonna get better with time. Best of luck with animating, and remember, balls and bones are your friends!

Reactions: DillyDubzee

DillyDubzee

Aug 5, 2019
Not bad, you've got some solid foundations, and you're only gonna get better with time. Best of luck with animating, and remember, balls and bones are your friends!
Thank you! I still have a long way to go but I haven't even been doing this for a year yet and I don't have any background in any other art medium, so I'd say that i've been doing pretty good so far. Just need more practice.

Day 10

Leaf - Day 10.png

Haven't updated this thread in a while and don't know if I'll continue this but here is another attempt at a tree, I made a week or so ago. I feel like its way better then the last one but I still feel like its missing something.

Another Sprite

Shokokon Warrior Girl (Clothed).png

Here's a sprite I made yesterday, if anyone has constructive criticism then I'm all ears. Gonna try animate an idle animation and stuff for her which I might upload here, we'll see.

DillyDubzee

Aug 5, 2019
View attachment 3165701 still watching you...

Oi, DillyDubzee , where you at?

Made any progress? Feel free to share I don't mind :sneaky:

No seriously, how is it going with your project?
Hey dude thanks for the interest! I've stopped with the leaves for now cause I find them rather boring, good practice though. I have been doing other stuff in the meantime, here's an idle animation I worked on recently

Shokokon Warrior Girl (Idle).gif

And here's a WIP walk animation too.

Shokokon warrior Girl (Run - Test).gif

Let me know what you think :D

I've also been doing some portraits, so you here are a couple of those as well.

Annette.png Hanna Portrait.png

Annette from Fire Emblem: Three Houses (my first ever portrait) and Hanna from Fuga: Melodies of Steel (my second) respectively. Sorry for the dump of my work.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Glorified_ignorance