2D Opinions on my Pixel Art

DillyDubzee

Aug 5, 2019
Haven't posted anything in this thread for a while so here's an idle animation for Poppy from LoL that I finished today.

Poppy (Idle Animation).gif

Feedback and anything like that is welcome :)

Sep 8, 2019
Hey dude thanks for the interest! I've stopped with the leaves for now cause I find them rather boring, good practice though. I have been doing other stuff in the meantime, here's an idle animation I worked on recently

View attachment 3172137

And here's a WIP walk animation too.

View attachment 3172155

Let me know what you think :D

I've also been doing some portraits, so you here are a couple of those as well.

View attachment 3172180 View attachment 3172181

Annette from Fire Emblem: Three Houses (my first ever portrait) and Hanna from Fuga: Melodies of Steel (my second) respectively. Sorry for the dump of my work.
I'm not an expert in pixel art at all, but I think there's a slight inconsistency between your two animation. The picture on the top looks looks rigid while the limbs on the bottom one looks like tentacles (like the robot's arm in your reference). I think aiming for either rigid or flailing style is cool, but being consistent is whole different topic. I'm also a beginner, but I think learning anatomy will give you rough idea about which part of the body should be rigid, and which joint shold be more fluid.

Oh, and about the coloring, a little bit more contrast between shade and highlight will make the shape looks more defined.

DillyDubzee

Aug 5, 2019
I'm not an expert in pixel art at all, but I think there's a slight inconsistency between your two animation. The picture on the top looks looks rigid while the limbs on the bottom one looks like tentacles (like the robot's arm in your reference). I think aiming for either rigid or flailing style is cool, but being consistent is whole different topic. I'm also a beginner, but I think learning anatomy will give you rough idea about which part of the body should be rigid, and which joint shold be more fluid.

Oh, and about the coloring, a little bit more contrast between shade and highlight will make the shape looks more defined.
Hmm, I understand where you're coming from. I'm pretty new to animation so I have a look to learn, I'll look into anatomy and shaping, thank you for the tip.

I recently finished a sprite for a village girl so here you go world. Let me know what you think.

Village Girl.png

ManuV

Mar 30, 2024
I like the style, not too many pixels nor too few. The colors look pretty good, although it is always better to see them together with the background, after all the general and environmental color palette that the game will have will influence how the characters look too.
The animations look pretty good.
Although I find the arm in the background in the walking animation a bit strange.
Keep it up, I'll wait to see the combat animations

Reactions: DillyDubzee

DillyDubzee

Aug 5, 2019
I like the style, not too many pixels nor too few. The colors look pretty good, although it is always better to see them together with the background, after all the general and environmental color palette that the game will have will influence how the characters look too.
The animations look pretty good.
Although I find the arm in the background in the walking animation a bit strange.
Keep it up, I'll wait to see the combat animations
Thank you for the input! I usually randomly switch out my background colours to test how my sprites look with different backgrounds but yea, Its definitely something I have in my mind when I start seriously making games. As for the animation, honestly I don't really like either of the arms looking back on it but hey, it was my second ever walk/run animation so I can't be too hard on it and the improvement to the first walk animation I ever made is pretty huge.

Reactions: ManuV

ManuV

Mar 30, 2024
Thank you for the input! I usually randomly switch out my background colours to test how my sprites look with different backgrounds but yea, Its definitely something I have in my mind when I start seriously making games. As for the animation, honestly I don't really like either of the arms looking back on it but hey, it was my second ever walk/run animation so I can't be too hard on it and the improvement to the first walk animation I ever made is pretty huge.
I also recently started learning pixel art, so we're in the same situation :p
I would say that it is always better to do a loose animation, to see if the movement and feeling works, and then start detailing or putting the model of the character. After all, it's easier to fix than if you already detailed everything and have to redo most of it back.
Keep it up, as you continue doing things, you will discover the best and most comfortable way to do them.

Reactions: DillyDubzee