HTML Ren'Py Optimizing for Ren'Py web build

absintheandmustard

Mar 11, 2022
I know the general tips for keeping the download size of a Ren'Py game manageable and have seen threads on the topic, but does anyone have any advice specifically for helping the browser export version run better?

I find that sound doesn't work in Safari (at least using opus/ogg) and that on all browsers there is a lot of blurriness and delay for anything involving imagebuttons. Is this typical (and just a side effect of the web export feature still being in beta and/or my shitty internet), or is there a way to ensure better performance?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I find that sound doesn't work in Safari (at least using opus/ogg) and that on all browsers there is a lot of blurriness and delay for anything involving imagebuttons. Is this typical (and just a side effect of the web export feature still being in beta and/or my shitty internet), or is there a way to ensure better performance?
It's just a side effect of "hey, it's a web thing, you'll have to wait for the image to be loaded and if the image is progressive and you aren't patient enough, well you'll have a downgraded version".

While Ren'Py being able to run through a remote connection can be interesting, it will only be effectively good for games as originally intended by Ren'Py design ; 2D Visual novels relying massively on sprite based screens. It's obvious that a game than take 2GB or more when archived will not marry well with a web based version.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I find that sound doesn't work in Safari (at least using opus/ogg) ...
There are a number of features of Ren'py that haven't been ported to the web version. Frankly, the fact that a web version even exists amazes me, given the intense nature of the Python that's used to implement Ren'py.

absintheandmustard

Mar 11, 2022
It's just a side effect of "hey, it's a web thing, you'll have to wait for the image to be loaded and if the image is progressive and you aren't patient enough, well you'll have a downgraded version".
There are a number of features of Ren'py that haven't been ported to the web version. Frankly, the fact that a web version even exists amazes me, given the intense nature of the Python that's used to implement Ren'py.
Thanks both of you for responding! I figured that was probably the case, but it's nice to hear from someone more experienced that I'm not just fucking something up, lol.

You're right, it is kind of amazing that a web export option exists at all. Glad I played around with it on a small-scale project to learn what works and what doesn't.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Thanks both of you for responding! I figured that was probably the case, but it's nice to hear from someone more experienced that I'm not just fucking something up, lol.

You're right, it is kind of amazing that a web export option exists at all. Glad I played around with it on a small-scale project to learn what works and what doesn't.
You should note that other engines - Unity, for example - do a better job of porting to the web because they were either designed with it in mind, or else have more than just PyTom and his volunteers working on it.

absintheandmustard

Mar 11, 2022
You should note that other engines - Unity, for example - do a better job of porting to the web because they were either designed with it in mind, or else have more than just PyTom and his volunteers working on it.
Yeah, we've really been seeing the seams of Ren'Py lately as we try to do more complex animations and minigame-y stuff. It's a great engine for what it is, but a Unity transition seems inevitable at some point down the road for a future project.