Ren'Py Page up/down dont work in Renpy, but work for other applications.

Bob Wanker

Jan 13, 2020
Hello all. I got a new laptop and it has a full keyboard, but the page up/down keys dont work in Renpy. Ive tried pretty much every multikey bind imaginable (Fn, Alt gr, Shift + Alt, etc...). Has anyone had this issue? Do you know how to fix it?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
[...] but the page up/down keys dont work in Renpy.
In what context do you try to use it ?

Those keys are used only twice in Ren'Py, for the rollback/rollforward, and to move in viewports. But for the viewports it's not automatic. The game need to enable their use for the given viewport, what isn't always the case.

Bob Wanker

Jan 13, 2020
In what context do you try to use it ?

Those keys are used only twice in Ren'Py, for the rollback/rollforward, and to move in viewports. But for the viewports it's not automatic. The game need to enable their use for the given viewport, what isn't always the case.
I use them for roll back mostly, since scrolling with a track pad is imprecise.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I use them for roll back mostly, since scrolling with a track pad is imprecise.
Rollback can be disabled, but like it's rarely done and you seem to encounter this in all games, it can be that. And like it have a "full keyboard" it's also not due to a weird key combination.

Hmm, you said "new laptop", does it mean that you used one before ? Could it be that you used some kind of mod that transcribe the key, and copied it without thinking when you configured the new one ?

Bob Wanker

Jan 13, 2020
Rollback can be disabled, but like it's rarely done and you seem to encounter this in all games, it can be that. And like it have a "full keyboard" it's also not due to a weird key combination.

Hmm, you said "new laptop", does it mean that you used one before ? Could it be that you used some kind of mod that transcribe the key, and copied it without thinking when you configured the new one ?
Ive played some games where the dev has disabled the rollback feature. I know for sure the games im playing have it enabled. Yes, this is a new laptop. The one I had prior did not have this issue. This laptop does not have any macro software or anything of that sort. Its a fresh install of windows 11 with very few application installed on it. Ive searched around the internet and cant find anyone else who has had this problem with renpy.

Edit: Ill just live with it. Thanks for your help though!

Last edited: