Pale carnations: Why is it so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcsjkdfjksh

Mar 22, 2019
It's just a short random question, why do I and other people like it so much?

Part of me can answer this, the characters feel alive- but why is that?

Cynicaladm

Oct 21, 2020
it taps into the fantasy of a similar nature to eyes wide shut, epstein's antics, 50 shades.. a rich elite that use disposable income to corrupt and delve into debauchery.. the power fantasy that is a titillation for many, whether you're into bdsm (fantasy or IRL) or not.... the visuals are decent to good depending on personal taste, it doesn't have grinding mechanics... it explores kinks and bdsm that are usually either thrown in randomly as a crowd-pleaser or left out of the majority of games.. the dialogues are fairly good and several of the characters do have some depth..
It's not a masterpiece, but it strikes a good enough balance to keep one interested and engaged and to stand out above many lesser games.

reinhardv9

Jul 9, 2020
it taps into the fantasy of a similar nature to eyes wide shut, epstein's antics, 50 shades.. a rich elite that use disposable income to corrupt and delve into debauchery.. the power fantasy that is a titillation for many, whether you're into bdsm (fantasy or IRL) or not.... the visuals are decent to good depending on personal taste, it doesn't have grinding mechanics... it explores kinks and bdsm that are usually either thrown in randomly as a crowd-pleaser or left out of the majority of games.. the dialogues are fairly good and several of the characters do have some depth..
It's not a masterpiece, but it strikes a good enough balance to keep one interested and engaged and to stand out above many lesser games.

Do you know any good games that use HS models that look as great ?

someremove

May 6, 2020
Do you know any good games that use HS models that look as great ?
You should check out Deviant Anomalies by MoolahMilk and Ripples by Jestur, I think they use HS models really well too

A House in the Rift also has really nice animations so can check that out too

https://f95zone.to/threads/deviant-anomalies-v0-4-3-moolahmilk.65454/
https://f95zone.to/threads/ripples-ep-3-part-1-public-release-jestur.56110/
https://f95zone.to/threads/a-house-in-the-rift-v0-5-5r2-zanith.29627/

reinhardv9

Jul 9, 2020
gotcha.. then no, I don't think I can help you. they're usually not my favourite style
Indeed wanst my as well, at first i was only playing Koikatsu Party! and having fun with the cards and custom options, then after trying a few games here i got to play Pale carnations and my mind was blown away by the quality of the models especially Hana!

That said, if you have any recommendation i will greatly appreciate !

reinhardv9

Jul 9, 2020
You should check out Deviant Anomalies by MoolahMilk and Ripples by Jestur, I think they use HS models really well too

A House in the Rift also has really nice animations so can check that out too
Hey, thanks buddy, i will do!

I already played A House in the Rift and it was ok tho, truely not as great as Pale carnations!

Just downloaded Waifu Academy, i hope is good >.<

Cynicaladm

Oct 21, 2020
well.. I'm not really into the self promotion thing, but it'd be stupid to be coy about it... I am helping a game creator with lore, editing and a few other things... I joined his project after seeing its first release and liking it.
it's a completely different style however.. as far as I can tell (I really have very little understanding or knowledge about the graphic side of these games).
anyway, here it is

Last edited:

someremove

May 6, 2020
Hey, thanks buddy, i will do!

I already played A House in the Rift and it was ok tho, truely not as great as Pale carnations!

Just downloaded Waifu Academy, i hope is good >.<
Yeah, I agree that PC seems to be a cut above the rest, especially on the writing side. Lmk if you like Deviant Anomalies or Ripples too!

DaFlurbIsHere

Jun 3, 2022
It is well written, I have just two problems with it: 1) I don't like the way the MC is forced by the script to accept the job if he's going for the moral high ground from the start. There's really no reason to say yes after you ran away the first time. If you're playing him more gray or out and out pervy, then obviously he'd say yes from the beginning or be convinced by the second meeting and then everything works perfectly. I do like the fact that there are generally a lot of off ramps along the way.
2) None of the women appeal to me. Absolutely none. So that makes it very annoying when I'm forced to pick one when I'd rather sit all these rodeos out...
Oh and 3) Killian is such a creepy asshole I wish I could push him under a bus or something (and get a medal for performing a civic service) from the very start.

Bill Temple

May 20, 2021
It is well written, I have just two problems with it: 1) I don't like the way the MC is forced by the script to accept the job if he's going for the moral high ground from the start. There's really no reason to say yes after you ran away the first time. If you're playing him more gray or out and out pervy, then obviously he'd say yes from the beginning or be convinced by the second meeting and then everything works perfectly. I do like the fact that there are generally a lot of off ramps along the way.
2) None of the women appeal to me. Absolutely none. So that makes it very annoying when I'm forced to pick one when I'd rather sit all these rodeos out...
Oh and 3) Killian is such a creepy asshole I wish I could push him under a bus or something (and get a medal for performing a civic service) from the very start.
Your comment is hilarious. I read it as "It is well written, I just didn't like the core concepts or plot."
Your first complaint about the visual novel is there's not an option to opt out of the entire premise of the story? What should the developers have Renpy do at that point: pop up a "Thanks for playing" message and close? Or rather the MC should give a hard pass to the job offer and go back to tutoring and studying? Renpy could just display the text of an actual physiology textbook at that point.

All three of your "two problems" with Pale Carnations seem to stem from a misunderstanding about the theme of the story. The plot is about a young man engaging in debauchery in a sex club, but the theme is his confrontation and potential reconciliation of difficult truths about himself in the face of deep-seated instinct and temptation. At the very beginning of the prologue, before you even choose player name and traits, that's heavily implied to be the focus of the novel: "Truth is, you simply can't take stock of a man's character who lives in an immutable bubble. I have simply never been given the opportunity to prove my conceited self-image right or wrong." In Freudian terms, his ego will struggle to resolve the disparity between id and superego.

It seems you're unable or just unwilling to empathetically intuit the personality, sensibilities, and backstory of Edwin (or whatever you named him). Perhaps you're unpracticed at embracement, or at least suspending disbelief, of characteristics anathema to your own, possibly because this level of commitment to a story isn't generally required in media of your prevailing choice. In the realm of visual novels, character development is usually surface-level at best, good emotional depth is avoided, and certainly the MC is commonly no more than cardboard cut-out for the player to stand behind. That's why so many games avoid even showing a face for the MC.

If you're unable to concede that being offered essentially a full-ride scholarship as well as stratospheric networking opportunities would tempt a person to reconsider ethical and legal concerns, if you're unable to believe that there could ever be a young man that would find the Carnations sexually and emotionally attractive, if you're unable to understand that the history and bond felt with an old friend might let one still feel love despite squicky behavior, then maybe you're not ready for a story like this one, or maybe it's just not for you. I imagine once you've lived more and lost more, you'll better come to appreciate the artistry in this story. I find Pale Carnations to be one of the best visual novels I've ever played, not only because of my own predilection for bdsm and power play, not only because of the fantastic writing and characters, but also for the disgust and discomfort it brings. I can't imagine reading the description of this novel, downloading it, getting through the first scene and character setup screens, then being disappointed that I don't get to play this game as a white knight.

JoleenStar

Sep 29, 2017
I'm in the minority who doesn't like the story. The models are pretty, but I'm not really into prostitutes.

Cynicaladm

Oct 21, 2020
Sorry for resurrecting the thread Cynicaladm , but since you also mentioned "Desert Stalker" later, and these two are probably my favorite games - I'm sincerely curious about which other games you can recommend or view as a masterpiece?

Not trying to argue.

Thx :)
I'm biased with Desert Stalker, for obvious reasons.. Other games that I like?
I've played a bunch of them... Despite the grind, which I am fundamentally against, I quite like the Patriarch,
Red Sakura mansion,
Zeno's anthology,
sisterly lust was a big favourite, in my early days of exploration of the genre,
fetish locator, despite how it ended,
acting lessons,
personal trainer.
All for different reasons..

Status
Not open for further replies.