patreon help

bugglebox

Jan 13, 2018
What can I do to get patrons on my Patreon if I don't have renders to show off? The issue is I need this workstation PC first for my renders so I don't have to torture and brutally murder my laptop during renders but I can't get the PC without money from Patreon. What else makes a good Patreon prior to having renders?

Oiz

I am not Bloo, cause Bloo is a cunt
Modder
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
Get a job. Buy a PC. Then make something you can show off, like a decent demo. THEN make a patreon.
The way you're doing it you expect people to just give you money for nothing, which makes you one of the worst examples for patreons. The kinda people that gave patreon the shitty reputation it has in this community.

bugglebox

Jan 13, 2018
Get a job. Buy a PC. Then make something you can show off, like a decent demo. THEN make a patreon.
The way you're doing it you expect people to just give you money for nothing, which makes you one of the worst examples for patreons. The kinda people that gave patreon the shitty reputation it has in this community.
Easier said than done where I live.

xןʞ

I trolled so N7 could soar.
Staff member
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
Hi friend.

Unfortunately people generally will not give you money to buy things just because you want to make things with your things that you do not yet have without proof of your things already being made, do you see the things I am saying about these things you have to do?

One thing you could do is possibly get a job(the world needs ditch diggers too, as a great philosopher once said) or actually render on your laptop until you can afford better equipment, like a few devs of high moral standard did, or perhaps start trying to sell your lewd cosplaying gravure pictures on patreon, seems mildly successful from what I've seen.

Or make a text-based sissifcation game. All good things to consider, option wise.

Either way good luck with your future quality product that we look forward to trying out one day.

Thanks for reading and Happy Rendering!

- Your Friend
klx

Oiz

Modder
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
Easier said than done where I live.
Well if you can't get a job where you live, then you can't make a product and can't expect people to throw money at you.

bugglebox

Jan 13, 2018
Hi friend.

Unfortunately people generally will not give you money to buy things just because you want to make things with your things that you do not yet have without proof of your things already being made, do you see the things I am saying about these things you have to do?

One thing you could do is possibly get a job(the world needs ditch diggers too, as a great philosopher once said) or actually render on your laptop until you can afford better equipment, like a few devs of high moral standard did, or perhaps start trying to sell your lewd cosplaying gravure pictures on patreon, seems mildly successful from what I've seen.

Or make a text-based sissifcation game. All good things to consider, option wise.

Either way good luck with your future quality product that we look forward to trying out one day.

Thanks for reading and Happy Rendering!

- Your Friend
klx
I get that they'd have trouble without proof but I always thought that if I didn't deliver on what I say, they could always just report and sue me or something. Not sure how it works with Patreon.

bugglebox

Jan 13, 2018
Well if you can't get a job where you live, then you can't make a product and can't expect people to throw money at you.
But even without renders like is there no way I could just make the base for the game with all the text as evidence that I'm in fact working on the game?

Oiz

Modder
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
But even without renders like is there no way I could just make the base for the game with all the text as evidence that I'm in fact working on the game?
Well, you can try to make a decent demo. It will be hard though. Not gonna lie.
You'd need some seriously great writing to pull that off and even then you'll still need a lot of luck.

zhagzhuga

Mar 22, 2018
You're kind of SOL if you expect someone to spend money on your game without having any idea of what the renders look like. Either start create work on your laptop, make a game within your budget, or postpone the idea until your budget expands. I've seen plenty of games with crappy 3DCG (and 2DCGs). Promise/drive to make a good game is not enough on its own.

bugglebox

Jan 13, 2018
You're kind of SOL if you expect someone to spend money on your game without having any idea of what the renders look like. Either start create work on your laptop, make a game within your budget, or postpone the idea until your budget expands. I've seen plenty of games with crappy 3DCG (and 2DCGs). Promise/drive to make a good game is not enough on its own.
It's hard with my laptop because I've debated it but everywhere I ask, I find horror stories of what will happen to my laptop even with its cooling pad and I can't lose it.

bugglebox

Jan 13, 2018
Well, you can try to make a decent demo. It will be hard though. Not gonna lie.
You'd need some seriously great writing to pull that off and even then you'll still need a lot of luck.
The writing I can do, it's literally just art that has held me back with my game making.

zhagzhuga

Mar 22, 2018
Not really sure what to tell you? I mean put yourself in the "potential patron" shoes. Would you spend money on some dude who claims he can make a good game with nothing to show for it? If you're struggling to get money to invest in your own project, you should know how much people value money. You're not going to convince anyone to throw money at you without making something.

You asked what you can do to get patronage on Patreon and the short answer is you can't without showing some work. There's no point to this thread unless you have a writing sample or game demo (without CGs) to show us. If you're actually committed, make a demo, come back and post the demo & ask for feedback. You can make the patreon and set up reward tiers but I wouldn't expect serious cash flow (certainly not enough to buy a rendering PC).

Reactions: Agent HK47

bugglebox

Jan 13, 2018
Not really sure what to tell you? I mean put yourself in the "potential patron" shoes. Would you spend money on some dude who claims he can make a good game with nothing to show for it? If you're struggling to get money to invest in your own project, you should know how much people value money. You're not going to convince anyone to throw money at you without making something.

You asked what you can do to get patronage on Patreon and the short answer is you can't without showing some work. There's no point to this thread unless you have a writing sample or game demo (without CGs) to show us. If you're actually committed, make a demo, come back and post the demo & ask for feedback. You can make the patreon and set up reward tiers but I wouldn't expect serious cash flow (certainly not enough to buy a rendering PC).
Doing all the writing minus the CGs is what I'm doing soon after finishing some character details. As for a small cash flow? How small are we talking? The workstation I saw was a little over a grand so if I could find 100 people that would pledge £10 that'd do it.

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
People don't generally give money for nothing nor do they give money based on evidence of something happening.

Patrons usually support a developer because they like what they see.

It's going to be next to impossible to get people to pay you for nothing.

Simply put, you are expected to get yourself started before we even consider parting with our money.

8mes

Aug 24, 2016
You will be lucky to get 10$... Your best bet is to show your writing/coding skills and find someone who is willing to collaborate and do the renders. Good luck.

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
Well, you are pretty much asking people to give you money, without having anything, other than your word that they will get a product delivered eventually. Many new creators struggle to get their patreon off the ground, even when they sometimes are several patches into the game and the feedback is positive.
This is because people are cautious. People want to know that you are actually going to do something nice with their money and that you are dedicated to seeing it through, and not just bolt with their money after 2 weeks.

So, if people who have actual things to show to the public are having a hard time, how do you expect your patreon to do well with NO content to show off. I would certainly never support anything, unless I saw kind of preview of what I am paying for. As an example, some kinds of artstyle really turns me off, or certain kinds of character designs.
What if i support you and your game ends up looking in a way I really dont agree with? I could complain, sure, but what good would that do? You would probably not change the style anyway, and even if you did, you would get complaints from others who like the style and wants it to stay, AND you would waste a lot of time re-doing the art. Both of us would be unhappy, but I would be most unhappy, seeing as how I also lost money.

This is why you shouldn't expect people to just throw their money at you, without showing them SOMETHING first.

bugglebox

Jan 13, 2018
You will be lucky to get 10$... Your best bet is to show your writing/coding skills and find someone who is willing to collaborate and do the renders. Good luck.
Yeah finding artists was one thing I planned to do, but so far no luck on that front

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
Another solution may be go text based game to start with if the writting is good enough that you can engage people you may pick up a few patreons from their .But it will need to be very good to get people engaged.