Ren'Py Pause no longer hides dialogue box?

SnubbLR

Game Developer
Sep 13, 2017
I don't know if I'm tired or going crazy. Please help.
Python:
    scene tp274
    tt "dialogue!"
    pause
    scene tp273
    tt "more dialogue!!"
    pause
    scene tp272
    pause
    scene tp255
    pause
    scene tp282
    pause
    scene tp255
    aa "EeeeiK!"
    pause
    scene tp256
Here is how my game looks in a nutshell. I have 1753 simple 'pause' in my game to hide dialogue window with a click after the text to display the full image. I am sure there are better ways but anyway, this is my reality. Now, for some reason, 'pause' does no longer hide the dialogue window for me. Or maybe it never did, and I've been typing pause 1753 times for no reason. I Feel like I'm going crazy here...

Instead there is an empty dialogue box blocking part of my images. I am aware of 'hide window' and I use it to hide dialogue box during my animations.

Since my pause no longer hides the dialogue after text, is there a way to fix this? I could type 'hide window' 1753 times after my pauses. This is probably how I'll end up spending this weekend if I don't get any help.

Is there a way to associate the command "pause" into being "hide window+pause". Like: "Every time you see "pause", execute 'window hide' followed by good old fashioned "pause" .

Or is there a setting to the command Pause itself that I can change in some obscure gui file? Or should I use some kind of "replace all" function in Atom?

To anyone kind and brave enough to help me, try explaining it as if I was a 5 year old. Because I am very very bad.

Also bonus question not related to my problem:
For some reason, at some point, renpy changed my every single "call worldmap" into something like "call worldmap from _call_worldmap_63". Nothing is broken and using "call worldmap" still works fine for me, but I am just curious why it added a bunch of code to my code? Since everything is still working I'm mostly curious what happened.

Thank you for your time. You are all awesome.

TheRedMyst

Game Developer
May 9, 2023
Not sure about older Ren'Py versions, but in my experience pause won't hide the dialogue box unless it's the first line in the scene (i.e., when the box hasn't popped up yet). What works for me is:
Code:
scene bg <image>
"<text block 1>"
window hide
pause
"<text block 2>"
Not sure if you can use a function to combine window hide and pause like that. Maybe someone with more experience than me can weigh in.

But in VS Code (what I use), you can Ctrl+f and search for "pause\n" with Use Regular Expressions checked, and then replace with "window hide\n\tpause". Never used Atom, but I'm sure it can do it too. The '\n' is a new line, and the '\t' is a tab character which you may need a different number of depending on your indentation. The '\n' at the end of "pause\n" should give you some protection against places where you used the word pause in any dialogue/comments, but good idea to double check afterwards.

The _call stuff you're seeing is added to your code during the build process. When you hit build distributions, there will be a checkbox called "add from clauses to calls" under Options. I think it's mainly just for future compatability.

Feel free to DM me if you need any more help! :)

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I have 1753 simple 'pause' in my game to hide dialogue window with a click after the text to display the full image. I am sure there are better ways but anyway, this is my reality.
Why ?

As much as I understand the need for a pause when it come to the succession of CGs, even if an would have been better:
Python:
image myAnim:
    "tp272.jpg"
    "tp255.jpg"
    "tp282.jpg"
    "tp255.jpg"

label whatever:
    scene myAnim
What is the interest of the others pause, except annoying the player ?

If the said player want to see the full image without the dialog box and UI, he just have to press "H". And if you fear that he don't know that, you can say it in the game.

Now, for some reason, 'pause' does no longer hide the dialogue window for me.
Hmm, it's not the behavior that pause should have.

Even playing with the values I haven't been able to replicate the issue at home. But it can be due to the version of Ren'Py I used for the test.

So, try to add this and see if it change something: define config.window = "auto"
And if not, as last resort try:
Python:
init python:
    config.window_auto_hide.append( "pause" )

I am aware of 'hide window' and I use it to hide dialogue box during my animations.
Then you used show window to show it back...
It depend on the version of Ren'Py, but it's possible that it's the reason why you have this issue. It have been changed at some point, but I kind of remember a time where it was overriding the configuration behavior.

You shouldn't have used either hide window or show window at all.
They are relics from a distant past, and they should be totally dropped out. Letting Ren'Py deal with this by itself, through the already mentioned config.window, and eventually tweaking and , is how one should deal with the dialog box.

All this is explained in the part of the doc.

[...] but I am just curious why it added a bunch of code to my code?
You checked the "Add from clauses to calls" box in the distributions build configuration screen.

This is explained in the part of the doc.

Reactions: crabsinthekitchen

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
What is the interest of the others pause, except annoying the player ?
I like the pause as I can click through at my own pace. The worst are VNs where you are forced to watch an image for X amount of time while the image holds your attention for less than X. (but wanting to linger on an image for a while but the VN deciding to move on is also bad).

On topic: in a previous version pause didn't hide the window for me either so I got into the habit of using window hide but it seems to work fine now with version 7.4.11 (I am not diligent at updating to the latest version).

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I like the pause as I can click through at my own pace. The worst are VNs where you are forced to watch an image for X amount of time while the image holds your attention for less than X. (but wanting to linger on an image for a while but the VN deciding to move on is also bad).
But this apply for the animations.

Here the issue is the pause that he place between the image and the dialog line. Since the dialog lines already imply a pause, you have all the time you want to look at the image.

It lead to this patern:
  • click
  • image + dialog
  • click

That isn't the same than the:
  • click
  • click
you talk about.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
But this apply for the animations.

Here the issue is the pause that he place between the image and the dialog line. Since the dialog lines already imply a pause, you have all the time you want to look at the image.

It lead to this patern:
  • click
  • image + dialog
  • click

That isn't the same than the:
  • click
  • click
you talk about.
Sorry. I indeed missed that part. That is what 'H' is for indeed. You don't want to have to double click to (meaningfully) advance. That is annoying/

SnubbLR

Game Developer
Sep 13, 2017
Python:
init python:
    config.window_auto_hide.append( "pause" )
This simply fixed it for me. You are amazing. Thank you so so much!

It's weird, because it works the way I want it to work on some saves for certain moments. I'm starting to think it's either a version issue, or maybe a hide/show window command somewhere associated with a video that is then changing pause behavior going forward?

Either way, that magical little line is now dead first in my script and it works super fine.

And the reason why I don't want people to click H on every other picture is simply because I always find it annoying myself - having to move hand from mouse to keyboard while playing.. The other hand might be busy heh.

Again, thank you for the help!