• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Others PC Troubles

Feb 20, 2022
A few months ago I resolved to move all relevant files from my acer to a USB stick, since I had gotten a mac, on which I had run out of space, and wanted a unified library.
Things didn't get off to a good start. Every other game would give me error messages when moving the files, which I eventually had to ignore. I wrote accompanying .txt files to explain what happened and which games I expected to be broken. I noticed even whilst moving stuff that the .txt files would get "corrupted". When I would write "Hello, my name is" it would turn it into "jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj". Always the same letter, though I can't remember which one it was.
I didn't finish, something came up, and forgot about it for some months. Eventually, I come back to it and all the files have disappeared from the stick and already had been cycled out of the trash.

Now some technicalities. I know where I kept all my files. I had a folder in my documents dedicated to smut, sub-divided into pictures (some of whom I know the name of. One, for example, was a download of Repin's Ivan clutching his son from Wikicommons) and games. The games folder was further sub-divided into "Finished" "To-Do" and "Dropped" and the "Finished" folder divided into engines (HTML, Ren'py) and length (Short Ren'py). I recreated the smut folder on my USB stick.

Why do I even bother? It's not just because I'm obsessed, but also because I suspect my pc hasn't had the opportunity to overwrite anything yet, as I haven't used it for a year. It's been sitting without battery in a shelf for most of that time.

I even know some of the games which must have been lost by checking my chrome download history (Exiles, for example), but after running recoverit and disk driller (so far only on the stick) and keyword search, nothing comes up. I've tried to wade through the messiness of non-keyword search, but that's been equally unsuccessful. I have found some of the names I previously discovered through chrome's download history, but that's it.

I've already been recommended (and will run) PhotoRec, but does anybody have any other piece of advice that might bail me out?
It seems ever more likely that I will have to live with things, I've got no system restore points or a back-up (even though either would work, I really haven't done anything on that pc for over a year) and I was dumb enough not to make note of what was in these folders, but I really, really, really would prefer if I didn't have to make peace with it.