Tutorial Tool RPGM Play RPG Maker on Linux (No Wine)

Groomtinger

Aug 9, 2017
I am aware that I am re-inventing the wheel. However, the other solutions I can see in this section don't seem to take advantage of Steam and, because of that, end up being much more complicated than they have to be. After some initial setup, you can prep your game for Linux without worrying about wine, RTPs, and can just run a single script/command.

RPG Maker games work out-of-the-box with Steam. No need to play with Wine.
  1. Add a game
  2. Add a Non-Steam Game...
  3. Browse...
  4. Select the 'Game.exe' from wherever you downloaded it.
    • You will need to change 'File type:' from 'Applications (*.desktop)' to 'All Files'
  5. Open
  6. Add selected programs
  7. Right click on the game in your library
  8. Properties -> Compatibility
  9. Check Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool (If you don't do this, it won't try to use Proton)
    • It defaults to 'Proton Experimental', which seems to work fine for me.
For the VX/Ace games that require an RTP to function, it's a lesser-known fact that you don't actually have to install them. If you put the RTP files in the directory and then remove the 'RTP' line from the 'Game.ini', it'll work fine. I've created a little script that will do this automatically.
  1. wget https://gist.githubusercontent.com/FerusGrim/f610a6557de7301fc6bcb77d74462dae/raw/1c5c776d0b924a9eb0c2bc7175c6aa0c65135aca/rpgmaker_rtp.sh
  2. chmod +x rpgmaker_rtp.sh
  3. ./rpgmaker_rtp /path/to/game
    • You don't need /path/to/game if you run the script from within the directory of the game. It falls back to pwd if no argument is supplied in the assumption that it gets setup as a command.
I put it in my ~/.local/bin folder and then just run rpgmaker_rtp inside my game directory and it works fine.

You WILL have to edit the script to point to wherever you end up storing the RTPs.

The RTPs require that you go through an installation process. You can also do this with steam and then find where steam extracted it. If you don't want to go through the hassle and you're feeling inclined to trust me, you can download the RTPs from here, where I've already done all that.

PlatformURLSupported by Script
2000​
2003​
XP​
VX​
Yes​
VX Ace​
Yes​

I'm providing the URLs to 2000+ because it's conceivable that someone else with access to 2000/3/XP games could edit the script with them, but I don't know where to find any that aren't shipped without the need for RTPs already.

I know all that looks like a lot, but after some initial setup, you can essentially just go into your game's dir and run rpgmaker_rtp and be done with it for every future game. If you already use Steam, then you're abstracting away all the Wine work to something you likely already use, anyways.

If anyone wants to suggests some changes to the above script, feel free to reply to me here.

Last edited: