Playing windows releases on linux

HypnoKitten

Feb 14, 2018
Hey all, I am looking with a bit of dread at the upcoming Windows versions. Specifically the deeply embedded AI stuff they're advertising 'for security and convenience'. I know there aren't a lot of Linux games out there (makes sense) but I'm looking into switching to Linux in the next year or so.... how hard is it to emulate windows enough to play RenPy / some of the other common engine games? Is there a way folk on here do that?

WHY:
I'm not an anti-AI guy (I am a programmer and digital artist, I use AI in both, I run a local chat-bot for myself to play with, I've taken various AI certification courses, etc). But I have a decent idea of how AI works, how connected it usually is with 'the mothership' (the company providing it, unless you take a lot of careful care and that company provides solid privacy options), how much of your interactions it scans and sends out-of-your-computer for scanning / processing, and likely how much of that they're retaining for training their models (which is attached to your name, home computer, hackable, sellable, profilable, monitored, etc). That's border-line ok with some AI that's very sandboxed, where you can control what it can see and when it is allowed to 'talk out'. That freaks me out with something embedded into the core function of your OS, that is actively designed to monitor every single thread going through your computer ('for security'), from a company that's been leaning heavily into data-collection for the past years.

Sooooo playing hardcore f95 games on that level of monitoring is....... well, there's a reason I don't play these on my phone. And so when Steam stops supporting my versions of Windows probably going to dual-boot, keep the Windows environment super-clean as if it was a work-computer, and keep anything naughty (ie. anything from F95) super-isolated away from Microsoft-anything. (And yea, pretty sure Macs are going to do the same, so not looking to switch to those)

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
how hard is it to emulate windows enough to play RenPy / some of the other common engine games?
Pretty easy, I'd say, thanks to Wine, an open source compatibility layer (Valve made its own version, Proton. Yes, it's that Valve, the one who's behind Steam). Most adult games can be played natively though.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The Linux community is larger than you may think, and there always is some fellow pervert who comes up with a solution or a workaround to play your favorite game.

• Love
Reactions: HypnoKitten

HypnoKitten

Feb 14, 2018
Pretty easy, I'd say, thanks to Wine, an open source compatibility layer (Valve made its own version, Proton. Yes, it's that Valve, the one who's behind Steam). Most adult games can be played natively though.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The Linux community is larger than you may think, and there always is some fellow pervert who comes up with a solution or a workaround to play your favorite game.
Sweet!! That is super-helpful, and encouraging! Looking forward to joining the linux pervert community as soon as I need to do that upgrade! Thank you for setting my heart at ease and pointing me to those tools!

Reactions: scrumbles