Poll before make a game. Rpg maker, Ren'py?

Should i begin on...

• Total voters

Axyal

Nov 24, 2019
Hello people.
My name is fabien. I'm french. Aannd i'm here for a while now. Like many other before me, i'll try to make a game.

My engrish is pretty bad.
My dev skill is egal to 0.
My pc is exhaust, i have an 1080 TI (i LOVE this card! Every owner of an 1080ti love it.) It's pretty old today (2017)
Cheer! x)

But my motivation is over nine thousand.

Like a lot of, maybe yourself, i tried to do games, each time i just stop after a while, cause you know, rpg maker is a "toy". It's not a good engine, it dont allow a lot of freedom? Not sure if i can say like this, anyway.

But this time i want to work and release something, to you guys, something i can release, no shame, even i hope you guys will remember i'm a master noob. :)

But before begin to work, i have all the asset (btw about the "3d" stuff, i'm using Studio neo. I consider Studio neo a toy, too, as rpg maker) to make something, at least correct.
Mane people released good game with rpg maker + studio neo.

Butt, but, i'm not sure if people will even "try to play" cause it's rpg maker. I think, well, i'm almost sure, ren'py is way famous than rpg maker.

For rpg maker:

1) I love it cause, i can add content pretty easily with the exploration system. No dont fear about create massive mazes, or boring fight, travels.
No no.
I want to use rpg maker for allow people to have freedom to explore this path, speak to this character back there, and such.

2) The fights, my heart is share betwen three kind of battle systems. Anyway, with rpg maker it will easy to make them.
There's one, a side view, with very dynamic battle, atb, and no pixel at all, no default battler from rpg maker engine.
It will force me to create my own sprite, and yes it's a long time to make, because i'll make sritesheet with more than the usual 3 frames, and with a waaayyy more "animations", motions.
Because yes i dont want to make an rpg maker with lew scenes only on defeat. I want it possible in the middle of an fight.

The two other "battle systems", i'm not sure about them cause at the end, they would be very similar to one in ren'py.

3) The plugins!
Plug and play!
Rpg maker come with many plugins i enjoy and theses could enhance the gameplay.
Leveling for leveling is boring, you can have something way more interesting with the plugins and you probably already know that, at least if you played some recent rpg maker games.

That's the "positives" point in rp maker.

The bad?
Well i meet "wall", technicall walls in rpg maker that force me to modify a little bit my plans.

And for the side view battle system, even if it would be a very nice +, it's a looot of work. It cost some time i could spend in story, or renders, etc....

Now, ren'py.

1) Free. I dont know very much ren'py but it's very similar to python, i did few tests already and things works well. So yes, i'm not restrain by the game engine.

2) Way more visuals renders. It mean also more works but i think i'll put more effort in theses renders, because it's a massive part of the ren'py game (with the engrish, argh, RIP ).

The bad?

1) My engrisshhhhhh... is strong. You know i was a young teenager at school, and like 3 hours a week, i had english lessons.
*cough* Errr, it's been 20 years from now...

Yes, obvisously, i'll put effort in writing. But let's be honest it scare me a lot :) There's writing in rpg maker too, but it's... i dont know... less consequent.

2) Boring? I mean, no, i wont release a boring ren'py game. Or i'll try to avoid this. But, clic for skip/pass some text, well...
And clic to move to the next location.. and clic , more, pass, skip, etc...

That's all! Thank you , community!

Now the poll:

Axyal

Nov 24, 2019
Oh by the way, i posted here without read myself, or correct myself.
Like that you can judge my engrish at full potential, lol.
xoxo.

golrim

Aug 17, 2020
I recommend rpg maker front battle view system. Get used to making a small game and letting people try it out to give you feed back. Stick with what your good with at first and then branch out. Also look into GDevelop 5 and Godot. Gdevelop uses a visual script system similar to rpg event sheet, and Godot use it's own coding language based on python. These are good starting points to work with if your having a hard time piecing together ren'py.

Reactions: Axyal

Axyal

Nov 24, 2019
thanksd for your reply.
A friend told me the same, to work with the easiest engine for me.
And yes rpg maker without side view for battle allow me to work with better picture and way more pictures for battles.

Indeed, it's why i have difficult to choose :)
Thanks for your help!

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I will say, ren'py does put more of a focus on story and art assets, vs rpg maker which focus more on environment and game play. I'm stuck on my own projects because I have no attention span for making environment art. But environment art is the only thing limiting me, so its something I just need to put time into. It sounds like you've put in some time with RPG Maker and it sounds like you are comfortable with using it, so i also agree sticking with what's comfortable... until you find it too limiting... but the challenge is as you say, rpg maker games are viewed more as a 'toy' and not as something many players will really look for or invest themselves in. both coding and art is limiting. I think its cool how much art support there is for rpg maker, and its cool to hear plug-ins help, but it may still be a lot of work to make a project that stands out. I wish you luck in that regards.

Hunkker

Game Developer
Jun 4, 2020
It kinda seems like you really want to have battles in your game, so RPG Maker is definitely what you should go for. (From what I've seen) implementing gameplay like that in Renpy isn't easy. Personally, bad english isn't really a problem, as long as the sex scenes/art is good, it doesn't really matter.

Warthief

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2020
If you making the game for fun than from what you said I feel like you want to use the rpg maker engine more than the renpy, so I thik it better if you do what you enjoy again if you doing this for fun,
but you must keep in mind this will be your 1st project so don't fall in the same mistake I did and try to do your dream project from the 1st time, do your 1st project for experiance and to have at least small fan base, so try to do very small story, if you gonna try to test combat stay away from side view and focus on things to learn like player skill, balanced combat ...,
overall try to keep everything to the minimum in your 1st project.
If you doing this for money maybe renpy will be much easier and you could have bigger fan base, but to be honest with you I don't know what the right thing to do.

DiviDreamer

Aug 29, 2020
RPG maker is very limited and almost every game looks the same, like JRPG, but you can easily do battle system there.
If you know how to code in python go for Renpy, the things you described in your post very alike game i know
MonGirlDreams its made with Renpy has battles and lewd stuff in the middle and in the end of battle, so check it out.

_retorik_

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2018
I don't really like RPGM games anymore ... I can't say exactly why. A RPGM game must be REALLY interesting for me to consider downloading.

I find Renpy too restrictive if you have experience with development. You can only use pure python packages.

I've settled for HTML because it is the exact opposite from Renpy ... You have the entire npm to help you build cool stuff. But I wouldn't recommend that for beginners.

So if I were you I would at least try Renpy.

Axyal

Nov 24, 2019
Thanks for your helps guys.
I read you guys and the main advise i see coming a lot is to use the engine i prefer.

i know rpg maker cannot let me do a battle system like i would like.
And people seems not to be into the side view.
Even if with action sequence you can build dynamic/tactic fights.

I understand, there was plenty of... "Hentai rpg maker game", wich is.. to me, mostly, a basic rpg game, with a bit of nudity and sadly mostly on defeat game over.

Beside, like i read many, with line that force people to grind, farm dungeons, and such.

To me, the "powerlevel quest" for defeat better challenge is something that you cannot put as a main feature, in an "erotic" game.

But i do love, being defeat against a boss or whatever, i'm like "ok, wait for me, i'll come back later".
I cannot make an rpg maker game without challenge and dungeons, but, it will be skippable and not necessary.

It's why, i'll wait more because there's not so much partipations in the poll but, ren'py is first and rpg maker with front view battle second, to my surprise, side view is third.

it's a good thing it will clearly save my time for work for more renders, specially renders in battles.

Except if there's wayyyy more ren'py votes, i'll go for rpg maker, with a battle system that, to me, would be similar to one on ren'py.

And yes guys, it will be for training.
It will be to see if some people actually play, or maybe enjoy.

About money, no, there's a lot of steps before i think to ask money.
Having some people that love and encourage me to go for more is a better value for me, for now!

So merci, i'm actually leaving the side view aside, i think it wont happen.

I'm starting to build the combat systems, for both project.
And maybe if it surprise you guys but for ren'py it's actually easier.

But ren'py there's not the exploration gameplay you have from rpg maker. And other feature already said before.

who said you cannot make VN with rpg maker Mv and even battle in VN style?

;)

Again, thanks for the participations!
Cheer!

On discutera encore autour d'un bon vin, fromage et du bon pain :p
Or peanuts and beer XD

(again, i dont read myself, or correct, or use any translator. It's still to show my "brut" engrish level, meaning it should be better in game.)

Axyal

Nov 24, 2019
Thanks for your participation in the poll, guys.
It's important for me.

Actually, i have found pretty good stuff for studio neo that improve the facial expression (it was limited, to be honest it's still limited if you compare to daz3d, anyway it improve the expression by 2 so it's very welcum', welcome.).

So yes sideview is gone for sure.

Ren'py is clearly first but i see some people still vote the rpg maker engine with visual stuff.
Maybe they are like me to consider to explore and move your Mc is a +.

I'll do ren'py if it come to 75-80% because the difference is too big, but i'm sure i can make a good rpgM game, so actually i'm working on both.

Rendering wont be a trouble for both system i'm just making the base mechanic, specially for battle.
Battle wont be a massive feature, it will be even kinda rare except if you are looking for it. For troubles.

Anyway if you dont ming give a little more help with your advise and votes please!

_retorik_

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2018
Thanks for your participation in the poll, guys.
It's important for me.

Actually, i have found pretty good stuff for studio neo that improve the facial expression (it was limited, to be honest it's still limited if you compare to daz3d, anyway it improve the expression by 2 so it's very welcum', welcome.).

So yes sideview is gone for sure.

Ren'py is clearly first but i see some people still vote the rpg maker engine with visual stuff.
Maybe they are like me to consider to explore and move your Mc is a +.

I'll do ren'py if it come to 75-80% because the difference is too big, but i'm sure i can make a good rpgM game, so actually i'm working on both.

Rendering wont be a trouble for both system i'm just making the base mechanic, specially for battle.
Battle wont be a massive feature, it will be even kinda rare except if you are looking for it. For troubles.

Anyway if you dont ming give a little more help with your advise and votes please!
If you like RPGMaker that much go for it. Don't force yourself to work on something you don't like.

Axyal

Nov 24, 2019
I can do both for now, i'm just preparing some bases.

I'll start to render/animate soon so i want to be sure.

I prefer take time and choose the best.