Ren'Py Porting Stuff (Being a Dik, and other games)

JC23

Sep 25, 2016
Hello everybody.

So... I was thinking about starting to port games. Mainly for fun, but I also want to know how Ren'py and APKs work.

Anyway, I started with Being a Dik, considering it has android restrictions and I wanted to get them out.

However, everytime I try to build the package I get an error when creating assets. First it was a repository one, then size, I copied the crunched images from DarkAssassin port, it was fine, then when creating the expansion I got another repository error.

I tried, then, to use Ren'py(not nightly). And... I got the size error again.

If any porters want to test the fixed scripts to remove Android restrictions, or help me get started on this porting stuff, I would really appreciate it.

For instance, some site says that I have to install the android drivers, other sites say I don't, that I need Apache. Do I need to create the keys? Is there a difference in the amount of RAM used by Gradle? Is it possible to keep updating a game, with patches, so it's over 2gb? Is there a need for new scripts to adapt the game or does Ren'py take care of all that? Do I need an additional setup?

I would also like to see how do you guys crunch games, 'cause I tried on my own with Being a Dik, and still got it over 3gb.

Anyways, it's a lot to take on. So any help would be appreciated.

Besides all that, there are some games that I'd like to try out that are not ported, I'd like to port them.

PM me if you don't want to share this stuff publicly, and we can talk. See ya.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
If any porters want to test the fixed scripts to remove Android restrictions, [...]
Hmm. Can't say for sure, haven't looked at Being a Dik since a really long time, but generally those restriction exist for a really good reason. And this reason is rarely to piss off players, but because the script wouldn't works fine on Android.

For instance, some site says that I have to install the android drivers, other sites say I don't, that I need Apache.
Apache being a HTTP server, I don't know where you read this, but I guess that you really misread what was wrote.

Do I need to create the keys?
Of course.

Is there a need for new scripts to adapt the game or does Ren'py take care of all that? Do I need an additional setup?
I'm pretty sure that those questions are answered by .

I would also like to see how do you guys crunch games, 'cause I tried on my own with Being a Dik, and still got it over 3gb.
I'm also pretty sure that almost all, if not all, compressor have a link to the tool they used in any post where they link to their compressed version.

JC23

Sep 25, 2016
Hmm. Can't say for sure, haven't looked at Being a Dik since a really long time, but generally those restriction exist for a really good reason. And this reason is rarely to piss off players, but because the script wouldn't works fine on Android.

Apache being a HTTP server, I don't know where you read this, but I guess that you really misread what was wrote.

Of course.

I'm pretty sure that those questions are answered by .

I'm also pretty sure that almost all, if not all, compressor have a link to the tool they used in any post where they link to their compressed version.
Maybe someone has miswritten it. But it's fine, not going to do that.

And the android restrictions is just the dev trying to stop android versions by stopping stats from actions, and locking scenes. I even edited it for people that play on JoiPlay.

Yeah, I took a look on the Ren'py recommendation. Still could not make much sense of it, since it says the drivers are required then it says they aren't, only if you are testing with an Android phone.

And I used the compressor, the ones from here. I'm saying that even after using the compressors (multiple times) it was still 1/3 more than the version on the game's thread.

But thanks, anyway. One day I'll come back to it to figure it out.