Ren'Py Positioning screen relative to mouse

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
That seems better...
Glad to see that I can still thinks correctly :D

Not sure if i'm missing something, but for
If you missed something, it would then just be the fact that there's many way to do things with Ren'Py. Yours is as good as mine, and in fact better since less dependent from outside factors.

This being said, Shlizer , sorry if I've been a little rude yesterday. It was my wife death anniversary, and even if I do not see it as a different day than others, I'm never really peaceful and calm that day.

Sagisu

Nov 12, 2017
But alas I can't help you more with this. PyTom is talking more and more about the version 8.0 (the Python 3.x one), and I still have a lot of works to ports my tools to it :( I can't distract myself too much from this actually.
No problem - worst case I'll get back to it later, it's not a blocker that much on current state for me.. and I can't wait for that v8.0 and new bugs =D
oh.. did you know that game_menu is drawing all the time, even if it's not visible? =p

The mouse is proceeded before Ren'Py can proceed the buttons. Like an event restart the interaction, Ren'Py never proceed the buttons -> Do not works ?
I've got the same conclusion - screens with buttons are refreshed before they can render hover state and their state is refreshed to default state.
Unfortunatelly changing displayable rendering order doesn't change a thing (I didn't know about config.underlay, good to know something like that exists). I suppose it doesn't change that all screens are restarted to default positions and lose button information that should be hovered.

i would use something like:
You're my hero! It actually works at first glance =D
I'll try to implement it to my script and I hope it will also work that well =)

This being said, Shlizer , sorry if I've been a little rude yesterday. It was my wife death anniversary, and even if I do not see it as a different day than others, I'm never really peaceful and calm that day.
No worries. I was also too stressed lately, because my 0.5lv kid can be so loud and not cooperative =p
Hope you're doing well, can't imagine the feeling.

Reactions: Radnor

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
oh.. did you know that game_menu is drawing all the time, even if it's not visible? =p
Didn't knew it, but I'm not really surprised.

Ren'Py pass a big part of its time predicting what can happen next, partly to benefit from the time the player pass reading to put images in cache, and so to be ready when the time will come. Since the game menu can be displayed at any time in the game, it being often predicted fell logical.

As far as I remember at this time (it's midnight here), the prediction is really limited. Ren'Py just call the "predict" method of each screen statement, and displayable if they have one. But it can still be hurtful for the game, because all inline python ($ whatever) and python block in the screen are also proceeded.
What mean that if you've something like $ counter += 1 in your screen, to count the number of time it have been displayed by example, the counter will be also incremented by the prediction ; in addition to also be incremented by the refresh of the screen.

Hope you're doing well, can't imagine the feeling.
As fine as one can goes in such situation, thanks. But it's been 11 years, now it's more a hurtful memory than anything else, there's no need to worry.

Edit:
Your time to be the unseen hero ;)