PRGVX Ace Editing Help ~ Custom Scripts

Hippogriff

Jun 10, 2019
I recently bought the RPGVX Ace maker program. I want to try to go for a game myself.
Naturally I am not used to developing a game, much less using custom scripts for programming even within a set engine. I wanted to make a forum about this so that others using the program might paralell learn too. Or maybe I'm going the be the only one struggling.

Anyway, to start with a very specific problem I am having with that program that is not explained in the help sections and alternate forums of their guides/tutorials, does anyone know exactly what process to use or what exact scripts to add (with instructions) for increasing and editing the character/actor/player equipment slots? Anyone who has tried the default settings knows there are only 4 or 5 availible: head, bodygear, helm, accessory, and weapon. I learned there was a way to alter this and change the default value using the script editor, but sadly I ran into only one specific script with confusing instructions for installing it, that being the only search result outside of this site. The specifics would be more about what exact code is used and where it is placed, and then how to test.

I only have the RPGVX Ace Maker program, no other custom DLCs and at the moment no imported content. To anyone using this specific engine to develop games, can you offer help?

Sagisu

Nov 12, 2017
Like ?
I lost track of that engine since XP, but afair that version also runs on Ruby.. terrific language, but I remember that in RGSS script ordering was crucial, because of it's methods overriding.
Still, I'm not sure what problem you have. There were few forums about RPG Makers back in a day, so I believe there still some are. On this forum there are also projects that use RPGM, so probably you could find someone who can help you out there.

Reactions: Hippogriff

pepette

Game Developer
Feb 20, 2018
On RPG VXace you don't need a script to increase the number of items, weapons, armors... etc...
Just go to the "items" tab, at the bottom of the list you have a "set maximum" button. Type the number you want and it will create more empty items slot.

It's the same for variables, switches...

Hippogriff

Jun 10, 2019
Like ?
I lost track of that engine since XP, but afair that version also runs on Ruby.. terrific language, but I remember that in RGSS script ordering was crucial, because of it's methods overriding.
Still, I'm not sure what problem you have. There were few forums about RPG Makers back in a day, so I believe there still some are. On this forum there are also projects that use RPGM, so probably you could find someone who can help you out there.
Yes! This was the exact kind of change I was trying to implament. I should have tried having some kind of scripting experience before trying to buy something like this, cause I know nothing in that field. But if I do try to learn this from start, having lots of special equipment slots will be a must for me, for the game I will develop later if I have any initial luck.

Hippogriff

Jun 10, 2019
On RPG VXace you don't need a script to increase the number of items, weapons, armors... etc...
Just go to the "items" tab, at the bottom of the list you have a "set maximum" button. Type the number you want and it will create more empty items slot.

It's the same for variables, switches...
The items you are mentioning are not exactly what I am talking about. Items, armor, weapons, accessories, clothing; all of these are part of equipment, but have to be linked to one of 5 provided 'equipment types' from a limited drop down menu (head, body, mainbody gear, accessory, weapon). The equipment type here matches that which appears in the internal game equipment menu, giving you these five options. Increasing this would for example allow the actor to have and equip two accessories at once, or set classifications for armor segments. I'm trying to separate the "armor" segment into (head gear, upper body, lower body, boots, gloves, optional fullbody corsets, bra/underwear, bucker, and two weapon slots (for dualwielding capabilities)) so that this in itself shows up in the database editor and the in-game menu.

Hippogriff

Jun 10, 2019
{Progress Update on Equipment Slots Editing}

I was as careful as I could be when adding these scripts where they should go and editing the name/number of possible armor/weapon equipments that I could. Luckily, I did not get a game crash on the testing load. The actor menu also seems to have responded to most of the changes, going from 5 to 8 possible slots. However, I'm trying to customize 11 possible slots, and despite adding 11, the game only shows 8.

2 Slots are for weapons (which do show in the game), and the other 9 are supposed to be armor types (1 accessory included). But the game only shows 5 "Armor" slots and 1 "Accessory" slot, aside from the 2 weapons, maxing out at 8/11. Does the engine have a maximum value for this that I am simply overreaching? Or is there more that I have to do?