3.30 star(s) 3 Votes

ThtsMyScrtCapImAlwysHorny

Aug 5, 2021
>non-white protag
Dropped.

Seriously though, the MC is in a strange place. There's a major characteristic that separates him from the player, but it's not enough to make him his own character. If the dev is trying to tread the middle ground, I would like to kindly ask him to stop. It's not gonna work out and make the writing pure trash. For example, that scene where the MC has to translate Catra's Spanish to the player was jarring as fuck.

Either make MC a blank slate or turn him into his own character.
You raise an interesting point, but not the one you think. I'd never thought about it before, being white myself, but setting aside Japanese games and games with all-furry (or otherwise nonhuman) casts, the vast majority of male protagonists in games on this site have two things in common: they're presented as blank slates for the players to project themselves onto, and they're rendered with a Caucasian character model (or drawn as such in the case of 2D games). Obviously I don't have numbers to back this up, but I'd be willing to bet the userbase is majority white, but nowhere near exclusively white. And yet, this is the first time I've seen an issue made of the race of a "blank slate" protagonist. Does the white default not bother nonwhite players, or are they for some reason keeping the fact it does to themselves? If the latter, why? If the former, is not what's good for the goose good for the gander?

Jun 29, 2022
You raise an interesting point, but not the one you think. I'd never thought about it before, being white myself, but setting aside Japanese games and games with all-furry (or otherwise nonhuman) casts, the vast majority of male protagonists in games on this site have two things in common: they're presented as blank slates for the players to project themselves onto, and they're rendered with a Caucasian character model (or drawn as such in the case of 2D games). Obviously I don't have numbers to back this up, but I'd be willing to bet the userbase is majority white, but nowhere near exclusively white. And yet, this is the first time I've seen an issue made of the race of a "blank slate" protagonist. Does the white default not bother nonwhite players, or are they for some reason keeping the fact it does to themselves? If the latter, why? If the former, is not what's good for the goose good for the gander?
I never expected "skin color" to be an issue in an h-game. Elver is a self-insert of GoNotEx as they are Latino.

Last edited:

ldarkslayer

Feb 28, 2019
Does the white default not bother nonwhite players, or are they for some reason keeping the fact it does to themselves?
As one of the fabled brown people, I've never had any problem with the white MC, in fact, I can relate better to a well-written or a blank slate white character than 95% of the brown characters in most entertainment today. Because most of them (as far as from the media I've consumed) never goes "Ha! Ha! Look at me, I'm White! Aren't I special?" and the ones that do are always portrayed as evil, which is, to me, an insidious double standard.

There's a character, Ed Baldwin, from the show 'For All Mankind', who I absolutely love. He's straight, he's white, and he's a masculine male, he's all the things the media today told us we should hate, and yet he is my favorite character in the show. The reason he's my favorite is that I can see myself in him.
For example, in a scene where one of his students got into an accident and died, he felt guilty and tried to contact the grieving parents to apologize. When the parents told him that it was all his fault, all the guilt and self-hatred turned into anger. But he didn't shout or scream or cry, he ripped the phone out of the wall and smashed it against the table. He has the same anger reaction as me!
The more I watch that show the more I see Ed display the same personality traits that I have. It got to the point that I unironically said to myself "Oh my god. He is literally me.", despite the fact that he's white and I'm brown.

• Sad
Reactions: Daddums

ThtsMyScrtCapImAlwysHorny

Aug 5, 2021
or Japanese Yamato (Japan has ethnicities inside it)
Oh yeah, blew my mind when I learned about the Ainu people. As I understand it, they are, to grossly oversimplify, the "Native Americans" of Japan - the people who were already there when the ancestors of those we think of today as "Japanese" came over from China, and were treated by them much the same as Native Americans were treated by European settlers.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: PeterSBigD
Jun 11, 2018
3.3 stars? Is it really that bad?
No. It's just in early development. There is a seed of greatness here somewhere, but it has a few issues. If you want a full experience, wait for this one.
TL;DR A lot of rookie mistakes.

Long version:
This game has a neat premise but struggles with execution. For one thing, it has a timer on it so unless you prioritize, the game ends before you can get all the scenes. This needs to be fixed by next release dev . There are also some bugs, mainly around not handling null exceptions. this is fixed by just putting in a check to see if a stack or list is empty before accessing it. Those issues are pretty bad, but are easily fixed with a single update. What remains to be seen is if the dev can add more content regularly because right now I have only seen a few scenes and tbh I'm not pressed to look for more since the timeout is such a dead end.

Also racists gonna racism, protag isn't even brown, just tan. Homies complaining about nonwhite protags are the same fools complaining about politics in video games because a protagonist isn't blond hair blue eyed.

Kirie

Jul 28, 2018
As far as I heard, things are the same...
The artist recuperating after a very bad case of Covid
The coder has a daily job that eats most of his time
The project is in long hiatus... Sadly

Reactions: Rystvalya
3.30 star(s) 3 Votes