Ren'Py Problem with looping video

MrAlbarn

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
Hey guys, I'm having some troubles with loop videos.

This is the code I'm using.

image bj= Movie(fps=24, size=None, play="images/movies/bj.webm", loop= True)

The problem is when it loops from the start it shows for a fraction of milisecond an image used back in the vn. Any idea why is this happening?

I've tried some answers here but that doesn't seem to help me with this problem.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Best guess... you're using show bj when you should be using scene bj. Assuming you're talking about a full screen animation/movie.

Personally, I would remove fps=24, size=None, from there - since they're overriding things that RenPy can figure out for itself, and getting them wrong could (theoretically) cause issues.

Preempting a future issue, I personally would code scene bj with dissolve to avoid the brief blank frame that can sometimes occur when first starting a video playing.
Or remove the image bj = [...] line completely and use $ renpy.movie_cutscene("bj.webm", loops=-1) inplace of either show or scene.

Other than that, I would recommend these many, many threads:

... there are more, but these are the common theme topics.

Then of course, there's the actual documentation:

Last edited:

MrAlbarn

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
Thank you very much for the help. I'll try those when I get home. Appreciate it!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Then of course, there's the actual documentation:

I recommend the reading of the part regarding the object.

Never really played deeply with movies, but it seem logical for the start_image to be displayed in place of the actual scene, what should solve the issue he's facing.

Reactions: Lou111