Others Proof of Concept - Feedback Wanted

artistx

Aug 13, 2020
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Here's the proof of concept for a medieval game I want to try and build. I'd appreciate any feedback from veteran DEVs and gamers alike.
It's completely bare bones with just the main character and rosa(the elf) but I think it's good enough to show what's possible.
a few things to note:
  1. I added some shaders to make it look a bit grainy to allow the background and sprites to mesh better
  2. You can cycle through different cursors with right click.
  3. There are only 3 areas: Outside the tavern, inside the tavern, and the 2nd floor of the tavern.
  4. I will probably change walk animation and add more idle animations to the MC
  5. The map is leftover from the previous attempt made with Honey Select2 and does not work.
  6. The Daz renders of Rosa are kinda half-assed since I'm debating whether I should switch to a less cartoony style since I'm having issues with eyelashes I don't know how to fix for stylized characters...
  7. You can exit anytime by pressing "esc"
  8. I reused some assets from my Honey Select2 attempt like Menu GUI and tavern music.
  9. Outside music generated by

screenshot.png
mc-walkf_00021.png rosaidle_00000.png
If you guys want I'll also post a link to my previous honey select 2 attempt.

Aug 28, 2021
The artstyle is pretty good. I like what you call cartoony (it's stylized and work great). Your shader seem good.

But! I'm not 100% sure about it. I wasn't able to execute on my second monitor (which I use as main but for windows its a +), it launch on 1st and I can't drag it. As colours are less vivid on that screen, you should wait for more input.

There is nothing to say about gameplay, it do what we ask for. A little feedback on click for movement could be a nice addition (you know, a little arrow or a circle where click happened)

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
The art looks fantastic and could easily pass for a commercial game. How much effort is required for each screen / character? if it is too much then i'm afraid you would burn out before completing much game content.

Beautiful art is great, but there is also storyline, writing, and gameplay considerations that are just as important to a making a good game. Do you have a story in mind already? How is it going to capture player interest, and how will you provide fappability rewards for player efforts?

artistx

Aug 13, 2020
The art looks fantastic and could easily pass for a commercial game. How much effort is required for each screen / character? if it is too much then i'm afraid you would burn out before completing much game content.

Beautiful art is great, but there is also storyline, writing, and gameplay considerations that are just as important to a making a good game. Do you have a story in mind already? How is it going to capture player interest, and how will you provide fappability rewards for player efforts?
Everything in the proof of concept took me about 3 days of working in my spare time. Thanks to Character Creator/iClone I could make the sprites reasonably fast.. compared to rendering in Daz which is the reason I decided to try building the game.. backgrounds are made in Daz... setting them up as walkable areas didn't take too long... I add postwork to the sprites but that can be automated. I think I have a sustainable workflow.

I worked out most of the technical issues of building the game but sadly I can't write for shit... ideally I want a light-hearted story in a somewhat open world where you have the main plot but also different girls with their own subplots that are optional (maybe catering to different niches) What a Legend and Summertime Saga come to mind...

I've been considering recruiting a writer and a co-artist who is capable of animating sex scenes...

The artstyle is pretty good. I like what you call cartoony (it's stylized and work great). Your shader seem good.

But! I'm not 100% sure about it. I wasn't able to execute on my second monitor (which I use as main but for windows its a +), it launch on 1st and I can't drag it. As colours are less vivid on that screen, you should wait for more input.

There is nothing to say about gameplay, it do what we ask for. A little feedback on click for movement could be a nice addition (you know, a little arrow or a circle where click happened)
If you go to config.ini you can change "FULLSCREEN = no" and that might fix the issue.. I'll have to create a settings page to fix it down the line... I'll eventually revamp/simplify the click system.. Click feedback does not sound like a bad idea.. I'll look into it.

I like the stylized style but I've also been considering a more standard style..
rosa-test_intel.png
rosa4-innerglow-ic-sk.png
Still slightly stylized but the proportions are closer to normal.

Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Saint Blackmoor

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Thanks to Character Creator/iClone I could make the sprites reasonably fast.. compared to rendering in Daz which is the reason I decided to try building the game..
I may be misunderstanding here, but how are you going to do lewd scenes? Does Character Creator/iClone support that sort of thing?

artistx

Aug 13, 2020
I may be misunderstanding here, but how are you going to do lewd scenes? Does Character Creator/iClone support that sort of thing?
I was planning to do lewd renders/animations in DAZ.. it might be possible in Character Creator/iClone but I haven't learned how yet... I only saw golden palace for Character Creator... I never saw any male anatomy for CC and I haven't tried importing a DAZ model with male anatomy already added.. Character Creator can't really handle DAZ geoshells though so I dunno if it'll work.

What I meant by sprites is the characters walking, talking, idle, mood animations.

Reactions: osanaiko

Nulldev

Nov 28, 2017
Awesome, looked your other pictures in other posts, very pretty.
But a question, why make a very human like girl into an elf with an ear only? Why is Rosa not a human barmaid or something, and have much more different elves from humans? Like basic elves, taller and slimmer? Her legs are stronger then the MC's.