Quality of games uploaded recently

Strong1

Aug 13, 2022
We have really been in a slump here recently with the number of good quality games and updates lately. Fewer games overall getting uploaded as well. Maybe it's time I finally start trying to overcome my addiction. lol

Jalin

Feb 8, 2023
...I mean, I don't think it's any worse than usual? The majority of new games are almost always 'XYZ older/younger brother' 'wakes up from a coma/returns home,' only to fall into lust with his 'landlady' and her daughters. Trying to pick through the landslide of that formula, repeated ad nasuem, is always a struggle...

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
One other thing to consider is that they recently changed it so that there's a limit on how frequently devs can have their games promoted in latest updates (And also bugfixes can't be promoted anymore), which could make it look like less stuff is showing up in latest updates.

If you're purely looking at new releases though, I suppose that depends on what you mean by "recently".

Reactions: Bombmaster

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
One other thing to consider is that they recently changed it so that there's a limit on how frequently devs can have their games promoted in latest updates (And also bugfixes can't be promoted anymore), which could make it look like less stuff is showing up in latest updates.
Nice, I missed that they pushed the promotional system from 1 week to 2 weeks between updates.

I guess that explains why I saw less of the same games being repeatedly posted last month, that's a lot better.

Strong1

Aug 13, 2022
I have been playing some older games, but mostly very specific genres. Today I went through and after sorting out everything I don't like; I had about 2300 games to choose from. After skimming through and eliminating stuff I've played or have no interest in or has a very low rating I found 17 games to download. That should get me through the weekend. :D

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I have been playing some older games, but mostly very specific genres. Today I went through and after sorting out everything I don't like; I had about 2300 games to choose from. After skimming through and eliminating stuff I've played or have no interest in or has a very low rating I found 17 games to download. That should get me through the weekend. :D
Sounds like you are way too picky or just bad at finding stuff by yourself, I would recommend checking this forum if you need help finding specific stuff.

On another note have you ever tried playing modded AAA games like skyrim or sims 4? They can offer you thousands of hours of custom sexual content that you can craft and polish to be as specific as you want.

Bombmaster

May 8, 2022
My journey started with eroge too. Maybe try some classics from vndb?

I get it, after playing Western games going back to banzai game is strange.
The culture, graphics make a world of difference.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
From experience, most of the people who go "there's nothing to play" are excluding tags. Most devs (and uploaders) on F95zone tend towards over-tagging (if there's a single girl with large tits, you slap the Big Tits tag on it. Repeat for BDSM, FemDom, loli, NTR, etc). If you start excluding some of the more popular tags (and engine tags) you can easily cut off very large chunks of games you might want to play.

I've had a log of bad experiences with RPGM, but skipping them all would mean losing out on Last Sovereign. Similarly, a lot of Unreal games are janky trash, but that would mean I never tried Wild Life. There's a ton of examples like that, so... you're here to explore and have fun. Don't fence yourself in :)

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
This observation is made rather regularly over the years in threads on this site - it's not about then, now, or the future. The observation is made from the perspective of the person looking at the number or types of games released. However, usually the person making the comment has played a lot of different games and/or has played hundreds, thousands (or for some, tens of thousands) of hours of adult games and VNs.

There is nothing new under the sun. What people are most likely experiencing is not a lack of quality choices but since they have already experienced so many similar themes - they are finding that what is offered no longer excites them as it once could have. Overexposure and overindulgence has deadened the excitement, desensitizing transmitters and receptors of pleasure - requiting greater activity or riskier behavior to get similar thrills as before.

Another possible explanation is anhedonia - the decreased ability to experience pleasure - which has several possible causes including depression.

A different perspective might provide a different analysis.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
There is nothing new under the sun. What people are most likely experiencing is not a lack of quality choices but since they have already experienced so many similar themes - they are finding that what is offered no longer excites them as it once could have.
It don't even need to goes as far as the excitement, the interest by itself is affected by those hundreds of games played.
Passed some time, you aren't anymore looking the game thinking, "yeah, a new incest story", but more, "oh look, again the deeply in love young sister, shy middle sister, and bitchy (but surely secretly in love) older sister, what a surprise". And even if there's a switch in the roles, it's just a switch.
In the end, whatever how interesting can be the story behind, you've to deal with stereotypical characters that kill everything. Either the character will react as expected, and it will be boring, or it will react in a surprising way, but then you'll be pissed because it's also a reaction totally out of its personality.

But is this really surprising in a scene filled mostly by amateurs ? They aren't writers, they don't have the knowledge to goes beyond the stereotypical personalities they found in other games, nor to goes beyond the cliché stories. Be noted that this isn't a criticism against them, just an observation. Or perhaps is it more a fact...
I mean, I'm 51yo, what mean something like 40 years looking at TV shows. And I could say about them what OP said about games, they are more and more shitty. While in fact it's just that they are more predictable now that I have those 40 years of memories as backup. This probably being enforced by the fact that "how to write a good story" books and courses generally rely on the TV shows that were successful in their times. Therefore screenwriters learn how to do their job by mimicking what have been seen by everyone.
And isn't it exactly the same that we can see on the adult gaming scene ? "Hey, this game is successful, I'll study it in order to know how to correctly write my own story", isn't really different from, "this TV show was a worldwide success and is still broadcasted 30 years later, so the next hours will be dedicated to it and what are the keys behind its success".

Then, time to time, someone come with a new idea, and suddenly we feel refreshed, confusing novelty with quality, like we previously confused boredom with lack of quality.

Strong1

Aug 13, 2022
I wound up finishing them all already. lol Come to find out I had actually played over half of them without remembering them until I was playing. Most of the rest sucked and I quit or just skipped through. A couple were decent though. Maybe something new will come out this weekend or one of my favorites will get updated. Maybe I should finally start making a game of my own like I have been toying around with the idea of for several years.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I think the pipeline of new games has probably been somewhat affected by the ridiculous price of GPUs for the past few years. Anyone who was not willing to be ripped off pretty much had no choice but to sit on whatever old hardware they've had for years, which might not be adequate to make a game with. Existing devs who already had acceptable hardware could still chug along fine, but someone like me who wants to try making a game but is still sitting on a 4GB 1050Ti is pretty much dead in the water until they upgrade. The sort of scenes I want in my game takes 8+ hours per image to render on my current system since it would revert to CPU rendering and not even use the GPU. On a 4090 it would take at most a few mins. So trying to make a game prior to upgrading would be a huge waste of time.

russianbot

Oct 28, 2022
From experience, most of the people who go "there's nothing to play" are excluding tags. Most devs (and uploaders) on F95zone tend towards over-tagging (if there's a single girl with large tits, you slap the Big Tits tag on it. Repeat for BDSM, FemDom, loli, NTR, etc). If you start excluding some of the more popular tags (and engine tags) you can easily cut off very large chunks of games you might want to play.

I've had a log of bad experiences with RPGM, but skipping them all would mean losing out on Last Sovereign. Similarly, a lot of Unreal games are janky trash, but that would mean I never tried Wild Life. There's a ton of examples like that, so... you're here to explore and have fun. Don't fence yourself in
In my experience, people tend to have a better idea of what bullshit they are or are not willing to put up with than some guy who tells them to "be openminded" or "not to fence themselves in."

Reactions: Hollowedzs

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
I'm just reading my manga and watching my anime while waiting for my bookmarks to sufficiently update.
No big deal. :whistle::coffee:

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
Quality JRPGs drop once every blue moon, and quality games get your occasional updates.

The catalogue was always packed with soon-to-be dropped cuck-incest-harem Daz3d clones.
God how I wish you could filter daz3d.