Question about copyright

Rubaru

Jun 4, 2017
Hey guys just curious about something, if I'm not mistaken I have seen some game contains Honey select models, How they are getting the copyrights from Illusion?

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
Either pirated or they have come to some agreement with illusion to use their models would be my educated guess

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
I assume it's more a cost factor than a legal one. Spending 50k on legal fees to stop an amateur game developer that doesn't compete with their products is a good reason to turn a blind eye.

Rubaru

Jun 4, 2017
Either pirated or they have come to some agreement with illusion to use their models would be my educated guess
Well I didn't play those games I have seen it few times, I don't think those are educational games. I wish I had those game link right now I think those are like all other patreon games.

Rubaru

Jun 4, 2017
I assume it's more a cost factor than a legal one. Spending 50k on legal fees to stop an amateur game developer that doesn't compete with their products is a good reason to turn a blind eye.
I think you're right, this is must be the reason why they don't bother.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
If you take photographs of the statue of liberty, you are the copyright owner of those photographs, not Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi or Gustave Eiffel.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
So you are saying it's OK to use illusion models without any permission?
The supreme court ruled that watching a pirated movie, is akin to sneaking into a movie theater without buying a ticket.
You might be breaking some rule somewhere, but watching the movie without paying, in no way violates copyright.

I'm not saying what you can or cannot do with models, that varies. Other rules such as trademark, and likeness, may apply. I only addressed the copyright question. You might check the EULA for...

and the "studio" update, which allows you to create your own scenes.

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
Hey guys just curious about something, if I'm not mistaken I have seen some game contains Honey select models, How they are getting the copyrights from Illusion?

This isn't too complex, but Illusion is a Japanese company. Enforcing copyright around the world takes time and money that isn't going to pan out to good publicity.

If they seriously want to censor a new developer, that makes them look bad. Photoshop and other big companies learned long ago that there's benefits to people using their products at reduced costs and locking them into what they use and feel familiar with.

Very similar issues would be the licensing of Unreal to any business having less than 500 employees which allows people to make amateur games until they're heavily invested in what Unreal does. Sure, you can look for permission with them, but it's going to cost the small guy a LOT to buy the permission.

In regards to trademarks, that doesn't really apply to the models in the game. That'd apply to using Illusion's branding as a company. Same thing with patents. That's focused on them using certain ideas but not really expressions of a work. If people ask about the details, I'll get into them, but it's the difference of trying to recreate a famous photo and applying a patent to a certain type of camera. It doesn't make sense to most people.

Reactions: Rubaru

Rubaru

Jun 4, 2017
This isn't too complex, but Illusion is a Japanese company. Enforcing copyright around the world takes time and money that isn't going to pan out to good publicity.

If they seriously want to censor a new developer, that makes them look bad. Photoshop and other big companies learned long ago that there's benefits to people using their products at reduced costs and locking them into what they use and feel familiar with.

Very similar issues would be the licensing of Unreal to any business having less than 500 employees which allows people to make amateur games until they're heavily invested in what Unreal does. Sure, you can look for permission with them, but it's going to cost the small guy a LOT to buy the permission.

In regards to trademarks, that doesn't really apply to the models in the game. That'd apply to using Illusion's branding as a company. Same thing with patents. That's focused on them using certain ideas but not really expressions of a work. If people ask about the details, I'll get into them, but it's the difference of trying to recreate a famous photo and applying a patent to a certain type of camera. It doesn't make sense to most people.
Just want to know that it's OK to use those models. copyright laws are always confusing. Most of the time reading EULA always confused me even more.

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
Just want to know that it's OK to use those models. copyright laws are always confusing. Most of the time reading EULA always confused me even more.
I'll try to keep it simple by saying that publishers have a lot of power over this. They usually want you to ask permission so they get paid. That's why it's changed 15 times in 30 years in America specifically.

BUT... If you're using these and you're small, the chances of you being punished by them is about the same as getting hit with lightning. Use it, learn it, grow into a better developer. That's my recommendation.

Rubaru

Jun 4, 2017
I'll try to keep it simple by saying that publishers have a lot of power over this. They usually want you to ask permission so they get paid. That's why it's changed 15 times in 30 years in America specifically.

BUT... If you're using these and you're small, the chances of you being punished by them is about the same as getting hit with lightning. Use it, learn it, grow into a better developer. That's my recommendation.
I never knew it was changed 15 times in 30 years that's very interesting topic to research and thanks for your reply I will do my best.

Reactions: Ungawa

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
So you are saying it's OK to use illusion models without any permission?
He's saying that you can use IMAGES of those models without the risk of getting sued. The same goes with Daz 3D models. You can use the Daz renders for your game for free but you need to buy a license if you are gonna import the 3D models/UV mesh to your Unity 3D game.

Rubaru

Jun 4, 2017
He's saying that you can use IMAGES of those models without the risk of getting sued. The same goes with Daz 3D models. You can use the Daz renders for your game for free but you need to buy a license if you are gonna import the 3D models/UV mesh to your Unity 3D game.
Hi thanks for your reply, What if I buy a model from Daz store do I need different licence to use UV mesh on Unity?

openmouth

Mar 30, 2017
I am surprised to find a discussion about copyright on a forum that offers dozens of hacked games !!!

Boom's Attic Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
Hi Keraera.

I'm not going to post this and guarantee 100% that everything is correct and that I'm 100% fluent on Copywrite laws because I'm not.

But :

If you're using Full images from Honey Select Studio

"IE : Pressing F11 in the program to take a Snapshot"
The image then has a water mark applied to it.
Adding that image to your game while still having the water mark applied to it is fine.
(As it's basically free advertising for them)

If you cover the WaterMark up or just cutting out the models in lets say Photoshop then yes, you're actually breaking some copy write laws.
" But as many people have stated, Illusion will most likely ignore it as not to harm their reputation by trying to sue a small single person making a little bit of money off a couple of their images / models."

To be on the safe side, If you have a development page or a credits page, be sure to add which software you're using and a link to their product as a good faith gesture.

Reactions: muttdoggy

Rubaru

Jun 4, 2017
Hi Keraera.

I'm not going to post this and guarantee 100% that everything is correct and that I'm 100% fluent on Copywrite laws because I'm not.

But :

If you're using Full images from Honey Select Studio

"IE : Pressing F11 in the program to take a Snapshot"
The image then has a water mark applied to it.
Adding that image to your game while still having the water mark applied to it is fine.
(As it's basically free advertising for them)

If you cover the WaterMark up or just cutting out the models in lets say Photoshop then yes, you're actually breaking some copy write laws.
" But as many people have stated, Illusion will most likely ignore it as not to harm their reputation by trying to sue a small single person making a little bit of money off a couple of their images / models."

To be on the safe side, If you have a development page or a credits page, be sure to add which software you're using and a link to their product as a good faith gesture.
Hey, thanks for sharing your knowledge with me I appreciate it.