Question About Initial Game Size Upload Limit

Nothing Clever

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
Hey everyone. So, I really, REALLY want to upload my game-warts and all. I've been review the thread going over upload rules.

https://f95zone.to/threads/game-uploading-rules-2019-06-25.524/

And so, while I only had Mega first, I've now went and gone to two more of the approved file sharing sites. But what's got me questioning things is this line from rule 7.

... and avoid excessive archiving splitting (1-2GB minimum parts).

My archives haven't been split, but alas, I'm looking at my game and it sits at 2.26GB. Ugh. Does this mean I have to make it smaller at all before uploading?

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
No, there's no limit on the overall game size, you can have it sitting at 10 GB or whatever. But I do recommend looking into compression and tools such as XnConvert (convert your images to webp or jpg at a quality that works for you, usually 80-90), HandBrake, or crunchers (such as YAC). There's probably no good reason to have the first release of 2.2 GB, think about the future updates and users who would need to download more.

Nothing Clever

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
No, there's no limit on the overall game size, you can have it sitting at 10 GB or whatever. But I do recommend looking into compression and tools such as XnConvert (convert your images to webp or jpg at a quality that works for you, usually 80-90), HandBrake, or crunchers (such as YAC). There's probably no good reason to have the first release of 2.2 GB, think about the future updates and users who would need to download more.
Okay, that's wonderful to know! So much of this is kinda new for me, including compression tools. It's one of those learning while you go things. But sincerely though, thank you! :)

Reactions: LightmanP

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
And so, while I only had Mega first, I've now went and gone to two more of the approved file sharing sites.
As member you don't have the obligation to provide alternate host, this apply to uploaders. Of course it's better if you can, but the request/update will not be refused because you cannot.

But what's got me questioning things is this line from rule 7.

... and avoid excessive archiving splitting (1-2GB minimum parts).

My archives haven't been split, but alas, I'm looking at my game and it sits at 2.26GB. Ugh. Does this mean I have to make it smaller at all before uploading?
It say "1-2GB minimum", not "maximum".
This rule is just here to avoid people that would, by example, split a 2GB game into 100MB parts. It's neither a maximal size rule, not a minimal size one, but a "don't be an idiot, don't split more than effectively needed" rule.

Reactions: Nothing Clever