Question about RPGM (pictures) resolutions

GaoChan

Nov 7, 2021
I have no fucking clue, rendering a set of pictures, to then use in rpgm.

Better to -
Render in the resolution of the game so it covers the screen?
Make a high res set of pictures and resize them to fit the screen; doesn't that ruin the overall quality?
What resolution to even use for the best quality and to best use the pictures.
I'm beyond confused.

I've played a few games but most art is of course drawn and easier to fit the project, I don't know how those using 3d, renders only manage to get it to look decent?
Any tips or whatnot would be welcomed.

Aug 11, 2020
I have no fucking clue, rendering a set of pictures, to then use in rpgm.

Better to -
Render in the resolution of the game so it covers the screen?
Make a high res set of pictures and resize them to fit the screen; doesn't that ruin the overall quality?
What resolution to even use for the best quality and to best use the pictures.
I'm beyond confused.

I've played a few games but most art is of course drawn and easier to fit the project, I don't know how those using 3d, renders only manage to get it to look decent?
Any tips or whatnot would be welcomed.
Render in 1920 x 1080 if you're using MV or MZ. This way your game is future proof and most people who play games have at least this resolution. People who still have a potato resolution can resize the game screen. 720p is also a possibility, but most people will consider this picture/video size to be outdated.

Older RPG maker versions are limited to 480p, but why would you ever use those?

Reactions: GaoChan

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
Not really, if you use quality compression and don't overdo it. You can also give away high-res renders to special supporters, or make the lewds a part of upper-tier rewards on Patreon or wherever. We do this for our own game: our main artist paints in 4k resolution, and then the lewds are resized to 1920x1080 and slotted into the game. You can't really tell the different without zooming in, the human eye doesn't pick up on it. The originals we gift to high-tier patrons as part of their tier, just as a way for us to thank them for their support. No reason why you couldn't do the same for your own project. ;)

Here's a sample pic:

That one's even smaller (1440x810), and could still be stretched to 1920x1080 without much loss of quality. If you paint or render your lewds in 1920x1080 you really shouldn't have much trouble at all. Or do what we do and downsized larger originals if you want to give away the high-res pics as special rewards or wallpapers. Either way works fine.

Older RPG maker versions are limited to 480p, but why would you ever use those?
This too. RPGMV is the go-to these days. MZ isn't bad from what I've seen, but MV still has a much more robust plugin library... and far fewer bugs.