Question about Scene Optimizer

brynhildr

Compulsive Gambler
Jun 2, 2017
Hello folks!
Like the title of the thread says, I'm currently wondering something about this script. I don't know if this was already asked before and someone replied to it or not, but since I don't know where to look (or even start) for finding the answer, I'm gonna ask it here! And forgive me IF there was actually some answers already :confused:

So.. when optimizing a scene that is definitely heavy, and the shot that I make is a portrait of the character itself, what should I reduce exactly? I mean, I'm gonna explain myself better using the picture here
1.png
So, taking for example the Stonemason's environment which are huge, heavy, full of instances and everything (even the smallest of things can be a damn 4K resolution):
- What's the suggested "divide" value among all of them?
- Scale only or Smooth Scale?
- The two checkbox there, useful enough for it?
- Should I remove normal maps, bump maps, displacement.. or better, all maps for everything if like, for example, I use a DOF for the potrait of my character?
- Should I remove even the trans, sss, sub? Though I think this last one is more for the characters than the environment itself

As you can see, and guess, some things about this script are still a mistery to me and those few times that I actually tried to use this, I exactly.. couldn't make this work for some reason. So.. I hope that someone will be able to explain and dedicate some of his/her/its own time for this. I would be really, really grateful :cry:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I'm trying to be kinda details oriented, and I might be biased but if you're making a portrait (a close face shot) the very last thing you want is to remove bump, normal and displacement or degrade any textures of said model. So select everything except the face/hair/brow/eyelashes and so on of your model.

Imo, you can be way more relax with environnement, especially if you use DOF! In that case you can remove any remove bump, normal and displacement maps of any props in the environement. Divide, well it divide texture size (divide by 2 make 4k texture 2k), but with DOF enabled you could push for way more (I guess it can break at some point) as well as remove trans, sss, sub if there is any. Not sure about the scale/smooth difference.

I havent tried it but maybe could do wonder for you as it seems to works on instancied/nodes props.

Last edited:

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
I just use it to divide props/rooms etc by two. I never use it on the character. I assume when you divide it by two you are halving the UV size, so you are making the texture pattern bigger (less detailed). For heavy scenes, you are far better off deleting stuff you don't need. I personally have never removed the bumps/normal etc, I come from a 3d background, I understand what they do and can notice (or at least think I can) if they are not there.

no__name Camera view optimizer seems pretty good, however it also removes any walls and ceilings that are separate and not in the camera view, which can fuck with your indoor lighting. It has a filter system but I have no tried that bit.

Reactions: brynhildr

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
you are halving the UV size, so you are making the texture pattern bigger
But you will still load 4k textures in VRAM? Better cut in half texture than marginal UV sive, no?
To be honest never really used scene optimizer but I doubt it (you may be right tho) :unsure:

which can fuck with your indoor lighting. It has a filter system but I have no tried that bit.
I have no scene to test it right now, I gonna try next week :geek:

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
But you will still load 4k textures in VRAM? Better cut in half texture than marginal UV sive, no?
To be honest never really used scene optimizer but I doubt it (you may be right tho) :unsure:
Im prolly ass about face, I know it halves the texture size, so it would be stretching it over the originally UV, I think thats what I meant. I only use it in some scenes so I am no expert.

brynhildr

Compulsive Gambler
Jun 2, 2017
I'm trying to be kinda details oriented, and I might be biased but if you're making a portrait (a close face shot) the very last thing you want is to remove bump, normal and displacement or degrade any textures of said model. So select everything except the face/hair/brow/eyelashes and so on of your model.

Imo, you can be way more relax with environnement, especially if you use DOF! In that case you can remove any remove bump, normal and displacement maps of any props in the environement. Divide, well it divide texture size (divide by 2 make 4k texture 2k), but with DOF enabled you could push for way more (I guess it can break at some point) as well as remove trans, sss, sub if there is any. Not sure about the scale/smooth difference.

I havent tried it but maybe could do wonder for you as it seems to works on instancied/nodes props.
I just use it to divide props/rooms etc by two. I never use it on the character. I assume when you divide it by two you are halving the UV size, so you are making the texture pattern bigger (less detailed). For heavy scenes, you are far better off deleting stuff you don't need. I personally have never removed the bumps/normal etc, I come from a 3d background, I understand what they do and can notice (or at least think I can) if they are not there.

no__name Camera view optimizer seems pretty good, however it also removes any walls and ceilings that are separate and not in the camera view, which can fuck with your indoor lighting. It has a filter system but I have no tried that bit.
Thank you kindly both, for your answers!
Definitely I didn't explain myself well, since I intended to use Scene Optimizer mostly on the environment and not the char itself! The char I know that I shouldn't lower the texture if making a portrait of it, so was mostly directed toward everything around it! And again, maybe I didn't explain myself correctly LOL

Camera view optimizer I already tried it and let's say that works flawlessly (though sometimes it doesn't really hide/delete everything that the camera can't see, so I have to remove those few little things that remains), but like micky said, it removes everything else. I mean, for an open environment it's not a big of a deal, for interiors not so much. But in the end, I use mostly open envinronments and such than closed ones, since I'm really, really bad at lighten up interiors :cautious:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Bump and Normal maps are usually not visible on objects further away, so you can remove them, Displacement maps can be quite visible on objects further away, so only remove them if you know what they do.
The further away an object, the lesser detail is visible, especially when using DOF, so reducing texture size is no problem (at least if the texture is big enough).

"Divide" texture maps is essentially what it says, divide a 4k map by 2 and you get a 2k map, divide a 4k map by 4, and you get a 1k map.

Have a look at how much space a texture covers on an object, a big wall with only one 4k texture will probably look bad in lower resolution. On the other hand, if you render in 2k, you won't need 4k textures on a wall.
Have a look at point 4. in this thread if you want a more detailed explanation.

Transluciency, SSS and Subsurface channels are usually used for skin (but for other object as well), so don't use it if your character is right in front of the cam, but again, if the character/object is further away, you won't see any/much difference.

Smoothing can look quite bad on some textures and can introduce visible seams, so I wouldn't use it. The same goes for L.I.E maps, which can produce a black face (which is even noted in SO^^).

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Definitely I didn't explain myself well, since I intended to use Scene Optimizer mostly on the environment and not the char itself! The char I know that I shouldn't lower the texture if making a portrait of it, so was mostly directed toward everything around it! And again, maybe I didn't explain myself correctly LOL
Oh don't worry could be me as well. Skipped way too much english classes, sometime it makes me miss the point or misinterpret it :giggle:.

In other topic, I wanted to try Camera view optimizer out of curiosity with an outdour scene made with ultra scatter (like advised in the product). Nearly ~10+ min to delete 1% (~70k objects)... You don't want to get the settings wrong :censored:.