Ren'Py Question about using DigitalCraft studio from IllGames to make a VN.

DarkFlame22

Sep 1, 2017
Hello, does anyone know where I can find the terms of use for the software 'DigitalCraft' from IllGames? I'm interested in creating a visual novel with Ren'py, similar to how the studio editor for Koikatsu Party was used. Any guidance or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

Tar77

Aug 23, 2019
I'm not really the expert because I've never really focused on the development side of things but I can tell you you aren't going to find what you want. Illusion never officially allowed anyone to use their games. Koikatsu and Honey Select based games have always been against their terms. Illgames is just Illusion rebranded and I'd assume they haven't changed anything. However you can do what everyone else does and make the game and simply release on certain "donation" sites. Steam will never allow it but Patreon and SubscribeStar will.

DarkFlame22

Sep 1, 2017
I'm not really the expert because I've never really focused on the development side of things but I can tell you you aren't going to find what you want. Illusion never officially allowed anyone to use their games. Koikatsu and Honey Select based games have always been against their terms. Illgames is just Illusion rebranded and I'd assume they haven't changed anything. However you can do what everyone else does and make the game and simply release on certain "donation" sites. Steam will never allow it but Patreon and SubscribeStar will.
Oh thanks, that was really the answer i was looking for. Because i have seen a lot of koikatsu game likes, and always wondered if these "fan games" were legal due to Chara maker engine. So thanks again!

Reactions: Tar77

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Illusion never officially allowed anyone to use their games.
Wrong.
They officially stated, many times, that you can do whatever you want with the screenshots, as long as you keep the copyright notice that is automatically added to them by the embedded screenshot feature. From memory it was even stated in the terms of use available on their site.
It's FAKKU, that managed the sales outside of Japan when they finally discovered that there's a whole world there, that tried to prevent this usage. But they failed, precisely because Illusion was saying that it was legal (once again as long as the copyright notice isn't removed).

Illgames is just Illusion rebranded
What is pure speculation, and Illusion last official tweet deny any relation between the two:
" "

Reactions: DarkFlame22

Tar77

Aug 23, 2019
Wrong.
They officially stated, many times, that you can do whatever you want with the screenshots, as long as you keep the copyright notice that is automatically added to them by the embedded screenshot feature. From memory it was even stated in the terms of use available on their site.
It's FAKKU, that managed the sales outside of Japan when they finally discovered that there's a whole world there, that tried to prevent this usage. But they failed, precisely because Illusion was saying that it was legal (once again as long as the copyright notice isn't removed).
So your point is they allow you do use it as long as you leave the thing that specifically acknowledges it as their property? I may have oversimplified it a little but it's the same difference to me. Illusion's main issue is they rights to everything made with their engine. But whatever, only thing that really matters is what you can and can't do with it. Patreon and Itch are perfectly fine. Steam and other normal sites that make you buy will take it down.

What is pure speculation, and Illusion last official tweet deny any relation between the two:
" "
If you actually followed any of it closely from people that actually know something like ScrewThisNoise you'd know it's more than speculation. Again I oversimplified a bit. Technically they didn't rebrand. They closed the old company and started a separate new one. Clearly they had some legal reason they wanted the new company to have absolutely no association with the old one but that doesn't change the fact it's the same people doing pretty much the exact same things.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
If you actually followed any of it closely from people that actually know something like ScrewThisNoise you'd know it's more than speculation.
Hmm...

Is IllGame the same than Illusion but under a different name ?

In one way, there's Illusion official spokesman who said "no", and warn to not trust anyone who would let think the opposite.
On the other hand, there's some guy on internet, linked to Illusion only by his mods, and who apparently never heard about game engines and frameworks, who said "yes".

Rhaaaa, what a deep and indecipherable mystery...

Tar77

Aug 23, 2019
Hmm...

Is IllGame the same than Illusion but under a different name ?

In one way, there's Illusion official spokesman who said "no", and warn to not trust anyone who would let think the opposite.
On the other hand, there's some guy on internet, linked to Illusion only by his mods, and who apparently never heard about game engines and frameworks, who said "yes".

Rhaaaa, what a deep and indecipherable mystery...
Because sketchy companies doing questionable things never lie to you. No company ever has tried to get out any legal responsibly by doing something similar before either.

Believe what you like. I'm sure your government approves of you believing every official statement being made.

DarkFlame22

Sep 1, 2017
Wrong.

" "
So basically i can only do screenshot? Or i can use the whole animation? because i found a lot of games here that has patreon and other similar platforms that contains the full animation of the scene. So i can use them as well with Digital Craft?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
So basically i can only do screenshot? Or i can use the whole animation?
With the studios made by Illusion, legally you could only use a content (screenshot or animation) that had the the copyright notice on them. But there were always the illegal way (using a modded version of the studio that don't add the copyright notice).
It was a risk, but that payed. The risk that Illusion starts an international lawsuit was low, and it happened that they just never really cared about what was done outside of Japan.

With IllGames studio, it's different. They never communicated about this, don't explicitly give you the authorization to publish the screenshot/animations from the studio that come with it, and the terms of service for that game also forbid you to use mods. Therefore, so far I would say that they wouldn't really like it.
But, it's like everything, you'll make a small game that will surely fly below their radar, and it would cost a lot, both in terms of money than in terms of time, to perform an international lawsuit. So, the worse you risk is that they explicitly ask you to stop if you don't want to be sued, and/or have you kicked out of whatever platform you use to fund your game.

DarkFlame22

Sep 1, 2017
With the studios made by Illusion, legally you could only use a content (screenshot or animation) that had the the copyright notice on them. But there were always the illegal way (using a modded version of the studio that don't add the copyright notice).
It was a risk, but that payed. The risk that Illusion starts an international lawsuit was low, and it happened that they just never really cared about what was done outside of Japan.

With IllGames studio, it's different. They never communicated about this, don't explicitly give you the authorization to publish the screenshot/animations from the studio that come with it, and the terms of service for that game also forbid you to use mods. Therefore, so far I would say that they wouldn't really like it.
But, it's like everything, you'll make a small game that will surely fly below their radar, and it would cost a lot, both in terms of money than in terms of time, to perform an international lawsuit. So, the worse you risk is that they explicitly ask you to stop if you don't want to be sued, and/or have you kicked out of whatever platform you use to fund your game.
So basically, having made no statement in these terms, the most I can risk is being asked by illgames to abandon the project and shut it down. Without the risk of going to court

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
So basically, having made no statement in these terms, the most I can risk is being asked by illgames to abandon the project and shut it down. Without the risk of going to court
The risk still exist, but it is relatively low.
They can want to sue someone as clear warning for their users, but in the same time they are a starting company, so I'm not sure that they have the funds for it. Asking a lawyer to write you an angry letter telling you "to stop, else...", cost way less, and generally it's as effective.

Reactions: DarkFlame22