Questions for people who hate non-con/rape content ...

Sep 1, 2023
I'm writing a female protagonist game, and i want to be sensitive and respectful for players who detest rape/non-con content. My solution is to have the scenes be avoidable. For example, there is a scene where female MC's on-and-off again ex gets drunk and corners her. I want to give the player choice to punch him and walk away, or be timid and submit. One path leads to you leaving. Another leads to a non-con forced sex scene.

My question is, is this approach good enough for you? I personally find a few scenes like this really hot at climatic moment, and it allows "aggressive asshole" characters to truly be assholes But, I also want to be respectful and not cause undue duress. Anyhow, I don't know if I'm making an issue out of nothing, but I really want to hear your opinion/suggestions/criticism. Thanks!

(For further context: the game does not center around non-con content. But I feel adding a few makes sense for the plot arcs and the relationship paths with one character in particular. Just wanted some feedback before I commit to adding these scenes)

Last edited:

simarimas

Dev FitB Games
Game Developer
Oct 1, 2018
Will it cause issues later in the story to have the guy get punched? If not, then having a choice there would be a good idea I think.

randomguy

Aug 5, 2016
I'm not the target audience for this question but I'm gonna add my two cents.

Just write the story you wanna write, be attentive in your work and you'll do just fine. The moment you start pandering to people you end up producing garbage content.

I'm not sure how long you've been on the site but you might notice some people have EXTREME reactions to any type of content that involves another male character interacting with a supposed love interest. In incest games the moms aren't ever allowed to have husbands lol.

Specifically in the scenario you proposed, as a player personally asll I care for is that the choices I make have some sort of impact to the story and don't boil down to "See Sex Scene" or "Skip Sex Scene"

For example if I choose to get away from the guy I want that to make an impact in the story at some point, otherwise I've just skipped a scene for no reason.

As for appeasing to those who detest non-con, especially if the main focus of your game isn't it, I'd just do what you suggested, add a choice and then for those who really don't want to engage in it give them the option to turn it off entirely from the beginning and block off all non-con scenes.

EvolutionKills

Jan 3, 2021
Full Disclosure: I'm actually fine with non-con.

That being said, I always feel like choices should matter. For some devs, they put a choice that will prevent the audience from seeing it, but it still actually happens. Either they can't or don't want to deal with the added work of diverging paths caused by choices that actually matter. To me, no matter the context, that always felt like an absolute cop-out.

Fortunately, your hypothetical scenario doesn't sound like you are cutting those corners.

Now just keep in mind the added weight required to handle the reality of a sexual assault victim going forward. If they're cookie-cutter identical to the other path? Well, then how much have you actually changed? How much did the choice actually matter as anything but as a content filter? Just make sure that if you want an audience to take the scene seriously and with the appropriate gravitas, you need to take that into consideration yourself as well; and that consideration needs to be properly carried forward for it to have any real impact.

Sep 1, 2023
Will it cause issues later in the story to have the guy get punched? If not, then having a choice there would be a good idea I think.
I think it'll change a few lines of dialgoue, and add a few small additional scene later. But no major branching narrative. It's really meant as a "immersive" in-story option to filter out non-con content.

Sep 1, 2023
I'm not the target audience for this question but I'm gonna add my two cents.

Just write the story you wanna write, be attentive in your work and you'll do just fine. The moment you start pandering to people you end up producing garbage content.

I'm not sure how long you've been on the site but you might notice some people have EXTREME reactions to any type of content that involves another male character interacting with a supposed love interest. In incest games the moms aren't ever allowed to have husbands lol.

Specifically in the scenario you proposed, as a player personally asll I care for is that the choices I make have some sort of impact to the story and don't boil down to "See Sex Scene" or "Skip Sex Scene"

For example if I choose to get away from the guy I want that to make an impact in the story at some point, otherwise I've just skipped a scene for no reason.

As for appeasing to those who detest non-con, especially if the main focus of your game isn't it, I'd just do what you suggested, add a choice and then for those who really don't want to engage in it give them the option to turn it off entirely from the beginning and block off all non-con scenes.
I have definitely noticed this. I actually read the response from a rape victim on another artwork I shall not name, who was extremely distressed by the scene. I toatlly agree with you saying not to pander, but I feel in this isolated scenario an exception should be made to accomodate.
So yeah the punching/don't punch option really is just a more immersive wrapping for a "See scene" "Dont' see scene" choice at it's core. It's not meant to create a branching narrative. And true, for players who aren't triggered by this you kind of are just skipping a scene for no reason if you choose punch.

simarimas

Dev FitB Games
Game Developer
Oct 1, 2018
I think it'll change a few lines of dialgoue, and add a few small additional scene later. But no major branching narrative. It's really meant as a "immersive" in-story option to filter out non-con content.
As long as it doesn't disrupt the rest of your story, then I would definitely add a choice there. But, as the others said, it should also have some impact on the female whether she goes along with it or not, even a little bit.

Reactions: Northern_Blade

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
First of all I will say that I'm clearly on the side of people that dislike non-con scenes, especially if it is shown in a very aggresive and forceful way and in an absolute way if it has any sort of violence.

I will say first that if you truly feel the need to add that scene into the story then just do it, overall people like me that dislike that sort of content will be more likely to just don't download the game, but that's how it is, your game won't appeal to everyone.

Also you may think that "making it avoidable" may solve the issue but... it doesn't, be aware that almost all players will only see the tags, not even the developers notes, so that stuff most of the time just doesn't work.

But overall the thing about non-con is that it is (unless done by the MC and in that case you have a whole different problem) done by another person different from the MC, so you will also get the harem/NTR fights that happen in every thread.

That's about it, overall I would just tell you to do what you feel is right for your game, thinking about the public is cool but should be done in moderation, because if not your game will become another generic game with no soul.

Sep 1, 2023
First of all I will say that I'm clearly on the side of people that dislike non-con scenes, especially if it is shown in a very aggresive and forceful way and in an absolute way if it has any sort of violence.

I will say first that if you truly feel the need to add that scene into the story then just do it, overall people like me that dislike that sort of content will be more likely to just don't download the game, but that's how it is, your game won't appeal to everyone.

Also you may think that "making it avoidable" may solve the issue but... it doesn't, be aware that almost all players will only see the tags, not even the developers notes, so that stuff most of the time just doesn't work.

But overall the thing about non-con is that it is (unless done by the MC and in that case you have a whole different problem) done by another person different from the MC, so you will also get the harem/NTR fights that happen in every thread.

That's about it, overall I would just tell you to do what you feel is right for your game, thinking about the public is cool but should be done in moderation, because if not your game will become another generic game with no soul.
Thanks for feedback, makes sense. I'm gonna add the choice to give players a choice to avoid such content, but for players who are very sensitive or especially dislike it, yes just look at the tag on my upcoming game and avoid it altogether.

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
Something I don't see mentioned, but absolutely needs to be said, if you plan on putting the game on patreon, they do not allow non-consensual content. I don't know if that was your plan, but I felt I should warn you anyway, just in case.

baka

Engaged Member
Modder
Oct 13, 2016
context is very important. said that, I hate rape.

but if its part of a plot/story I could digest it, but if its just "rape just for the rape" I will skip the game.
example of a rape that I could digest:
a couple in a relationship where he gets drunk and impulsive while she is not in the mood.
even if its non-cons, they are still in a relationship and I wonder why is she with him in the first place. this is the consequences to stay in that relationship. and even if not really cons, they have a sexual relationship.

a cute shy girl gets pushed in a room and violently raped in a disgusting way by some bastard and he gets away with it.
thats a big no for me.

your scenario with an "ex". it all depends, what kind of ex. why is on/off. if this is like a fuck-sometimes-relationship but this time it got heated and he "rape her". I could digest it. the dude still likes the girl, but in a drunken state he became an animal and fucks her against her consent. well. they have a kind-of relationship. ends it completely if u dont like the dude. so here its a "ok" again for me.

overall I think the writers/devs should do what they enjoy doing. surely a bit to please but not too much. otherwise the game will just get bad. better please the people that enjoy your story and forget about the complainers.

Sep 1, 2023
Something I don't see mentioned, but absolutely needs to be said, if you plan on putting the game on patreon, they do not allow non-consensual content. I don't know if that was your plan, but I felt I should warn you anyway, just in case.
Thank you for your warning. It's interesting because many games like Cyberslayers, Desert Stalker, Dystopian Project etc... have some pretty hardcore rape scenes, yet they're pulling in 5 - 10k a month on Patreon with hundred of subscribers, and have been on there for years.

I'm wondering what's going on there. I would say the non-con in my game is less than what's in those games above.

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
I'm wondering what's going on there. I would say the non-con in my game is less than what's in those games above.
It's probably just down to luck. Some people get away with it, others don't, like incest games. Could be how it's implemented. Anyway, I just thought I'd throw it out there. Up to you whether you want to deal with the possibility of patreon deciding to arbitrarily for after you for non-con.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
and have been on there for years.

it's pure luck. all it takes is one guy reporting you and bam your page gets locked and your game goes under review until you change the offending scenes into consensual non-degrading versions.

Sep 1, 2023
it's pure luck. all it takes is one guy reporting you and bam your page gets locked and your game goes under review until you change the offending scenes into consensual non-degrading versions.
True. Actually that's kind of nice of them to give you a chance to fix the scene, instead of an instaban from the site.

whizwart

Apr 11, 2022
Ya know, not to derail a bit, but I've always thought the "Fight back vs be timid" choice kinda sucks. Like it makes the character a black belt vs super panicky, which can make the character inconsistent. I often prefer a choice more like "Did the punch MC work?", because the characters actions and personality stay consistent, its just that they failed in this case.

randomguy

Aug 5, 2016
Ya know, not to derail a bit, but I've always thought the "Fight back vs be timid" choice kinda sucks. Like it makes the character a black belt vs super panicky, which can make the character inconsistent. I often prefer a choice more like "Did the punch MC work?", because the characters actions and personality stay consistent, its just that they failed in this case.
I like this take a lot!

Jack Madrigal

Aug 12, 2023
Hey Siren, been a while ^^

My opinion on that subject is that it doesn't always have to be up to the players, what kind of story do you want to tell ? if you want to put a rape scene just for the lol and appeal to an audience, I think it's a bad idea, specifically rape, as it's impactful on someone's life.

the problem I have with that if it's just a side thing and you continue with the "main narrative" afterward, it doesn't make much sense just to move on as if nothing happened.

"oy dam got raped again, anyway..."

As I understand it, your work as a good load of story, so unless you plan to write that character with every outcome and being consistent with the players choices (which always end up being inconsistent at one point or another) I'd suggest you either do it or you don't.

my best wishes for the new year btw !

Sep 1, 2023
Hi Jack. Happy New Year. Thanks for your input again, always appreciate your thoughts. I think you ask a good question about what kind of story I want to tell. One of my favorite romances to write contains a Female MC with a hot misguided villain character. The MC falls for this guy against her better judgement, maybe due to his strength and competence, or maybe due to a flicker of affection suggesting depths beneath his icy exterior.

The two dance around each other, and the relationship culminates in a domination scene where she is caught at a vulnerable time, but he advances anyways. In a moment of weakness, she gives in, knowing she’ll regret it in the morning. I guess the technical term for this is “dubious consent”, but it could also be categorized as rape. The key thing which makes this scene work for me is (1) she secretly wants it and ends up enjoying it anyways (2) how much she should deny him, and in fact is given a brief opportunity to do so, but ultimately allows her lust to overcome her better judgement and allows herself to be dominated.

It’s a slow, winding up scene, with the tension slowly cranked up until it reaches that climax where she end sup begging for it (I guess maybe like a Master/slave roleplay)

I know this type of scene isn’t for everyone, but I'm twisted and I like having at least one dark romance option in my stories. But I wanted to give players an out before this happens. Now I’m typing this, I think you’re right. Maybe the key to making this scene work is also in how much it affects the aftermath. I.e. this is the start of her dating the villain, or the two of them never speaking etc...

Last edited:

EvolutionKills

Jan 3, 2021
Hi Jack. Happy New Year. Thanks for your input again, always appreciate your thoughts. I think you ask a good question about what kind of story I want to tell. One of my favorite romances to write contains a Female MC with a hot misguided villain character. The MC falls for this guy against her better judgement, maybe due to his strength and competence, or maybe due to a flicker of affection suggesting depths beneath his icy exterior.

The two dance around each other, and the relationship culminates in a domination scene where she is caught at a vulnerable time, but he advances anyways. In a moment of weakness, she gives in, knowing she’ll regret it in the morning. I guess the technical term for this is “dubious consent”, but it could also be categorized as rape. The key thing which makes this scene work for me is (1) she secretly wants it and ends up enjoying it anyways (2) how much she know she know she should deny him, but ultimately allows her lust to overcome her and let her defense be totally dominated.

It’s a slow, winding up scene, with the tension slowly cranked up until it reaches that climax where she end sup begging for it (I guess maybe like a Master/slave roleplay)

I know this type of scene isn’t for everyone, but I'm twisted and I like having at least one dark romance option in my stories. But I wanted to give players an out before this happens. Now I’m typing this, I think you’re right. Maybe the key to making this scene work is also in how much it affects the aftermath. I.e. this is the start of her dating the villain, or the two of them never speaking etc...
Hot, but there are also dozens of variations you could do on that.

How is the 'villain' here actually a villain? Brooding emotionally stunted anti-hero? Suave playboy man-whore? A sadist masquerading as a 'dom' with a dubious grasp of consent? An old friend with an unhealthy personal obsession?

How 'hard' is the villain going to push? Are they going to unscrupulously ply the MC with alcohol? Will they try to overwhelm the MC with their force of personality? Will they try to dominate the MC, either emotionally or physically? Blackmail, either emotional or literal?

How much is the female MC really into it or not? Is it just a bad idea because the villain is unpredictable? Because she already has a preexisting relationship or commitment? Does the MC get off on the taboo of the act itself?

Honestly, this shit is my jam. I love a good corruption/fall-from-grace story. Turbosluts are boring. People crossing boundaries they know they shouldn't and being conflicted over just how much they enjoy doing so? That's the real hotness.