Questions on 3D engines

Kuroyan

Jul 23, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am working on a project on Renpy and I am wondering which engine to use to make my characters and H-scenes.

At the begin, I've been thinking about using CM3D2 to make them, but I feel like it doesn't offer much content related to things like undressing, locations or even control over saliva, cum...

Blender is kinda out of the picture for the moment as I think it would take far too much time for my computer to make 3D renders and I think it might not suit the design I have in mind.

Well in short, I am looking for an engine like CM3D2 but with control over the elements I mentioned above, even if the quality of the engine drop a bit.

Thanks.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
At the begin, I've been thinking about using CM3D2 to make them, but I feel like it doesn't offer much content related to things like undressing, locations or even control over saliva, cum...
There are obviously a lot of options. You'll find that many of the games published here use Daz Studio. There's a LOT of content available for it, but whether or not it meets your specific needs I don't know. Most Daz clothing isn't designed with undressing morphs (if that's what you're talking about) but there's a subset that is. In addition, some of the newer dForce-based clothing can be adjusted quite a bit, so it's possible to "push things around" to get that kind of effect in many cases. But (as with any engine) the choice of assets is likely to determine whether or not you're able to achieve the result you're looking for.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Maybe honey select? There aren't many options if your computer can't handle rendering.

Like DAZ is often used on here, but if your computer takes ages to render in Blender, I doubt it will be any better in Daz as blenders render engine is often faster.

You could look into non-ray based rendering for Daz and Blender. Instead of calculating each light ray separately, it's shadows, reflection, etc, it just makes a calculated guess. You will lose some quality, but it renders like 20+ times faster.

Reactions: Rich

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Synx makes a very good point. Any choice of rendering engine has to be tailored to the capabilities of your computer.

Daz Studio has two major rendering engines:
  • IRay produces more "photoreal" images, in general, but if you don't have an NVidia GPU card, you might as well abandon it - you'll take forever to render.
  • 3Delight works solely on your CPU. Unfortunately, many more modern assets are no longer including 3Delight materials.
Honey Select, to the best of my knowledge, is CPU only. I could be wrong.

Blender, like Daz Studio, has several renderers, which are tailored to different hardware. But if you can't use Blender, then IRay is probably out. You might look at 3Delight, or, as Synx says, maybe Honey Select.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Daz Studio has two major rendering engines:
That's a bit misleading Rich. Daz Studio has demo versions of iRay, and 3Delight renderers, not the real render engines.

Last edited:

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
That's a bit misleading Rich. Daz Studio has demo versions of iRay, and 3Delight renderers, not the real render engines.
Sigh. Heaven only knows what you mean by "demo" versions, since they're fully functional. At least iRay is - I don't use 3Delight.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Sigh. Heaven only knows what you mean by "demo" versions, since they're fully functional. At least iRay is - I don't use 3Delight.
Windows Vista is "fully functional" he says. You go right on using that shit.
Honey Select is 1000 times better than Daz Studio.

The "free version" of iRay included in Daz Studio is not the same as the FULL version of iRay.

Last edited:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
:unsure: :FacePalm::ROFLMAO:

anyway...
3Delight works solely on your CPU. Unfortunately, many more modern assets are no longer including 3Delight materials.
Materials are basically just textures and shader, textures will always be textures, no matter if iray, 3DLight, or whatever render engine. Daz comes with some 3DLight shader (OmUber, AOA, etc.) and there's also a free available in the Daz forum. You can use every IRay asset with 3DLight if you apply 3DLight shader. Many gen3 figures use 3DLight shader (Daz Studio Default) and a lot of assets in the store are still 3DLight (and also rendered in IRay, most people just don't know).

Honey Select, to the best of my knowledge, is CPU only. I could be wrong.
It uses what is available, GPU and/or CPU.

Kuroyan I have no idea about CM3D2, I've never used it, so I can't really compare, but the style looks similar to Koikatsu.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
The "free version" of iRay included in Daz Studio is not the same as the FULL version of iRay.
Daz as a company licenses iRay from NVidia. The fact that they don't charge for Daz Studio (they make their money off content) does not imply that Daz Studio is using some kind of stripped-down version of iRay. At present, DS 4.12 includes NVIDIA Iray RTX 2019.1 (317500.1752)
( )

If you assert otherwise, please provide a source to back up that statement.

In fact, the reallusion iRay plugin you reference is using an older version of NVidia iRay than the one Daz Studio does. (Reallusion have not yet updated their iRay plugin to a version of iRay that supports RTX cores.)

For some people, I'm sure it is. I'm not claiming that Daz Studio is better than any other package out there for every use case. Different people have different needs and different preferences.

Reactions: Droid Productions

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Once you fall into the Daz Studio hole, it's hard to crawl out of it. I've seen it happen to a lot of good people.

I fully agree with Rich where he says the company lures users into the cult so they can make money off content. They tried to get me into their pyramid ponzi schemes. Don't go down that path.

Use daz studio ONLY to download characters and export them into real animation software.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
...that Daz Studio is using some kind of stripped-down version of iRay. At present, DS 4.12 includes NVIDIA Iray RTX 2019.1 (317500.1752)
As much as I hate agreeing with mr poly, that's not a 100% true, Daz uses the engine itself, but not all it's functionality. To give you an example, Iray natively supports rendering VR images, and also has a realtime render function, but both are not present in Daz. There's even a disclaimer in the thread for IRay updates reading:
*Note: The entries below come directly from the NVIDIA Iray release notes. Some entries, such as the mention of Iray Realtime, Linux, etc, currently have no bearing on Daz Studio itself but are included for completeness.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I fully agree with Rich where he says the company lures users into the cult so they can make money off content.
In NO WAY did I say that. Do NOT put words like "lures users into the cult" into my mouth.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
As much as I hate agreeing with mr poly, that's not a 100% true, Daz uses the engine itself, but not all it's functionality. To give you an example, Iray natively supports rendering VR images, and also has a realtime render function, but both are not present in Daz. There's even a disclaimer in the thread for IRay updates reading:
You're quite correct - not all the functionality that's in the engine is exposed. But that's also true of the reallusion plugin that he pointed out. And it doesn't mean that this is some "free, crippled version" of iRay - it's just that Daz hasn't chosen to take advantage of all the bells and whistles that are in there.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
You're quite correct - not all the functionality that's in the engine is exposed. But that's also true of the reallusion plugin that he pointed out. And it doesn't mean that this is some "free, crippled version" of iRay - it's just that Daz hasn't chosen to take advantage of all the bells and whistles that are in there.
And likewise reallusion has the disclaimer of limited iRay functionality on the page I linked.
The full version of iRay costs $300 per month

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
True, and it's a bit of a shame, I'd love to do VR render without hacking stuff together^^

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
A long list of games and VN made using Daz Studio...

https://f95zone.to/forums/games.2/?prefix_id=22

so sad. some of them had potential, but the devs gave up trying to make Daz work
Agreed. Those fools could have gone full Maya/Zbrush/Marmoset doing full PBR texturing for those table and chair instead. They will never know the joy of making a "real" realistic candle for half a decade producing jackshit.