Questions on 3D engines

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I use HS too btw, made a little game with the 91GB version and working on another one with even more mods, better textures and light and so on.
It's a nice little tool to quickly create simple scenes, but that's about it, if you honestly try to imply that HS is better or even "just" on par with Daz, then you're either trolling, or simply have no idea about both programs.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I use HS too btw, made a little game with the 91GB version and working on another one with even more mods, better textures and light and so on.
It's a nice little tool to quickly create simple scenes, but that's about it, if you honestly try to imply that HS is better or even "just" on par with Daz, then you're either trolling, or simply have no idea about both programs.

NoesisAndNoema

Game Developer
Oct 3, 2017
Daz doesn't do VR, because it is NOT INTERACTIVE, it's not a game. You can do VR manually. It is just rendering the same scene with the camera shifted 3" to the side and rendered again. It will also not do the specific distortions that any specific piece of hardware requires to display the images, if the device requires a distortion.

Daz does do real time rendering, it's called IRAY PREVIEW mode. That is real-time and rendered.

As for the other "missing" functionality, each plugin on every system excludes functions they don't have programmed. The CORE of iray is 100% free, it is included in your drivers for your nVidia card. The license you are paying for, for xxx a month, or a year, is for a specific rendering program, which is not even made by nVidia. That is a "remote render" program that uses multiple cards to output a specific set format, for whatever you choose. It simply adds ADDITIONAL function to the core engine, which is free, and we all have built-in to our video-card drivers.

Look at the updates for your video-card... If you don't have an nVidia card, then you use the CPU output, which simply requires the free download, which the "remote render" and "plugins", come with. However, the plugin in Daz is not "cut down", it is just limited to using what it has programmed, which is all but like four specific functions that are either not applicable, like VR in a flat-image render, or something that can be done free, externally, or requires some form of interactive device. It is, however, a few months behind, than the current version of IRAY, so it also will not include things added to new versions, which is it not currently up to date with.

For the record, nVidia doesn't even own the nVidia website. The website is literally just a "Certified distributor of nVidia hardware". I know, because I asked them. That is why they have limits to the number of cards you can purchase. That is all they are being offered from the actual company, for distribution. However, if you actually contact nVidia, the real company, they will sell you all the cards you want, without limits. (Well, they do have a minimum limit of 8 cards, as that is what they pack them as, in shipping boxes.)

I questioned them when I saw my card was "out of stock"... But I saw it was "in stock", on an EU specific page, and a Canadian specific page. If it was the company, they would have been "in stock", or "out of stock", everywhere. They confirmed that they were, in deed, in stock, and could send it to me, no matter where I was located. It was just that specific certified distributor-site which was out of stock. (Which it honestly wasn't even out of stock. Apparently making it look that way, just to sustain the higher prices of the other sites they also run, which are not identified as nVidia, but they are also distributors. Funny how free-markets work when you are your own competition selling the same exact item for MSRP, and MSRP+20% and MSRP+50%, while also having a sale of MRSP-25%, when you literally control the perceptive market.)

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Daz doesn't do VR, because it is NOT INTERACTIVE, it's not a game. You can do VR manually. It is just rendering the same scene with the camera shifted 3" to the side and rendered again. It will also not do the specific distortions that any specific piece of hardware requires to display the images, if the device requires a distortion.
Just for the record, Daz Iray has an interactive render mode! Have a look at the Render Settings -> Render Mode.
But what I was talking about when I mentioned VR is VR render. Iray can process and render VR images natively, no manual stereo offset, no manual distortion (Daz has camera distortion!), no rendering the scene twice, no guesswork about how to setup the camera because you can't be sure how it will look after you combined the two images. Iray can do all the guesswork out of the box, but this functionality is not included in Daz and that has nothing to do with interactive rendering, or flat image rendering.

Daz does do real time rendering, it's called IRAY PREVIEW mode. That is real-time and rendered.
True, but that's still not the Iray realtime render mode.
All I was saying is that Daz doesn't use the full functionality/capabilitys of iray, and that has nothing to do with release shedule, but with what the Daz team want's to implement or not.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
In Maya and several other proGrams I can build an entire city scene, drop in a hundred characters. script up a dozen cameras flying around the scene, some on dolly tracks, some stationary, a couple from player perspective, animate 30 seconds all 100 characters and all the cameras moving around, all on top of live background (moving clouds, birds and airplanes)

Daz crashes doing 4 characters 1 camera 1 frame sitting still in a single room

Last edited:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
In Maya and several other proGrams I can build an entire city scene, drop in a hundred characters. script up a dozen cameras flying around the scene, some on dolly tracks, some stationary, a couple from player perspective, animate 30 seconds all 100 characters and all the cameras moving around, all on top of live background (moving clouds, birds and airplanes)
Wow it's like you're a real pro! Where can I find your game? Must at least run on UE4, bare minimum with such talent.

Daz crashes doing 4 characters 1 camera 1 frame sitting still in a single room
29baa48b23376dd59986b475debb5306.gif