Ren'Py Quick question about 64/32 bit and Renpy

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
Maybe a year ago, or perhaps earlier this year Renpy updated their engine and games began to release with a regular game.exe and a game-32.exe. I had assumed that the 32 meant 32 bit, but ignored it because I have a 64 bit cpu.

With that said, my PC is a complete brick, and some games struggle at points to play. I know very little about computer hardware on most days. However I do know that 32 isn't as powerful as the 64 bit, so should I start using the 32 bit for the more laggy games? Would it help at all?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
However I do know that 32 isn't as powerful as the 64 bit,
It's not exactly true. 64 bits permit to do more things, but not necessarily to do them faster. It all depend of why it's used.
By example, if you copy a whole image, you'll go faster by processing blocks of 64 bits than blocks of 32 bits. But if you are processing the image, each pixel needing 32 bits (RGB + Alpha), you'll not see a change.

so should I start using the 32 bit for the more laggy games? Would it help at all?
Probably not, because the issue is probably linked to the rendering engine used by Ren'py more than by the passage to 64bits.

To verify this, when the game is launched, press Shift + G and select the "Angle" render (the basic one, not the "2"). Return, quit the game, launch it again, and looks if it now play faster.
You can also, it will always help even if it's not Ren'py, to update the divers of you graphic card.

Jul 3, 2021
I don't think you'll get a performance boost by using 32-bit versus 64-bit. The only thing that will have an impact really is the amount of RAM a 32-bit app uses (max of 4GB) versus 64-bit, which can use far more. You can try the 32-bit version and see if it helps if you don't have much RAM to play with.

64-bit isn't necessarily faster or more powerful, it's just more efficient. And it all depends on how the program is written.

Reactions: chainedpanda

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
It's not exactly true. 64 bits permit to do more things, but not necessarily to do them faster. It all depend of why it's used.
By example, if you copy a whole image, you'll go faster by processing blocks of 64 bits than blocks of 32 bits. But if you are processing the image, each pixel needing 32 bits (RGB + Alpha), you'll not see a change.

Probably not, because the issue is probably linked to the rendering engine used by Ren'py more than by the passage to 64bits.

To verify this, when the game is launched, press Shift + G and select the "Angle" render (the basic one, not the "2"). Return, quit the game, launch it again, and looks if it now play faster.
You can also, it will always help even if it's not Ren'py, to update the divers of you graphic card.
I don't think you'll get a performance boost by using 32-bit versus 64-bit. The only thing that will have an impact really is the amount of RAM a 32-bit app uses (max of 4GB) versus 64-bit, which can use far more. You can try the 32-bit version and see if it helps if you don't have much RAM to play with.

64-bit isn't necessarily faster or more powerful, it's just more efficient. And it all depends on how the program is written.

Fantastic, cheers for the help lads!