Quick question

• Thread starter Deleted member 1063287
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1063287

I plan on making a long story focused game, problem is I can't draw nor spend $ for 3d assets. My best bet would be making a well written text-based game. With that said, it would be heavily branched, story/choice vise, but would anyone play that?

dave619

Nov 3, 2018
I plan on making a long story focused game, problem is I can't draw nor spend $ for 3d assets. My best bet would be making a well written text-based game. With that said, it would be heavily branched, story/choice vise, but would anyone play that?
you can get daz 3d assets off here in the asset relese

Reactions: p_staker and MrBree
D

Deleted member 1063287

I'm well aware that i can get free assets, use honey select... I just don't want any legal problems, cause I would be using patreon to support it. I would be really happy if people wanted a text-based game, I just don't want to waste a good idea with poor execution.

Glad

Oct 10, 2017
I'm well aware that i can get free assets, use honey select... I just don't want any legal problems, cause I would be using patreon to support it. I would be really happy if people wanted a text-based game, I just don't want to waste a good idea with poor execution.
If Akabur doesn't get into trouble with him blatantly infringing on copyright and trademarks, you're unlikely to get into trouble unless you're really brazen about it.

If you want to play it fair and safe, start with placeholder assets, low effort, etc. Flesh out a chunk of your story and maybe an artist will join you and/or you will get enough support to buy assets you need.

D

Deleted member 1063287

I also had this idea where I would make renders with pirated assets, and then slightly edit them in photoshop, although I'm not sure if this would work. Putting that aside, I still want to know if anyone would be interested in a text based game.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
YES people would still play that!
Text-based games are quite popular I think, they can have a wider range of content and faster development simply because it is simpler to write than to try implementing features or finalizing art.
Sometimes , to make up for a lack of art some text-based games have detailed and elaborate sex scenes, but sometimes people keep it simpler, It depends on you as a writer and there are players for both; those who like to read, and those who like something shorter, punctual, or more cartoony and stylized, i myself don't like having to read large chunks of text.

In fact, I consider myself a half competent artist, both in making custom 2D and 3D art (not the best with backgrounds yet), however the game I am working on, while it will have art, I am making it a text-based game with no background images, to try and save on the amount of work i need to do, to make it easier and faster to make for me since I am busy with other things all the time.

So if you can make an interesting game, even if it is text only it should still be pretty good. While I myself am not much for novels or choose your own adventure, if the game includes exploration and or doing missions for people like a normal game (and if all the descriptions are short and focused/stylized) then I usually really like them. But you do you. I think twine is a good engine to use for such a game. I myself am using unity so that I can customize the art style or feel of the game (still using very minimal basic art and color, nothing serious). Worst case, you just need to commision one artist so you can make a title screen image or banner which you can use with your post when you make a post to share your game to help get the attention of readers.

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
There is a huge crowd of people with bad vison that still plays text games too.

D

Deleted member 1063287

Ok then, I guess I'l try to make my text based game as immersive as possible.

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
Yeah, definitely. There are a bunch of games like that at , mostly HTML/ -based.

The important part is "well-written", which is what a text-based game lives and dies on.

That said, "heavily branched" may not be the best way to go, because as you get further along it becomes difficult to work with and keep all of the branches straight, especially as some branches are more liked than others, leading to some being neglected. If you're interested, there is a page here that gives you a good list of the various story patterns and a bit of their strengths and weaknesses:
" "

If you're interested in trying Twine, I put a bunch of useful links for it all together .

D

Deleted member 1063287

I'm going to take some time just to plan the game out first.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Just want to note that there are a number of free assets for Daz, including character, hair, and clothing models as well as rooms, furniture, outdoor environments (mostly HDRI) and others. Sure, your selection will be a bit more limited, but it's completely possible to tell a story with just the 'legally free' assets.

Also, as an example, using the Genesis 3 female as a base, well there are a number of morph kits on Renderosity and ShareCG (Sickleyield's 200 morphs as an example) that you can use to dial in custom characters.

There are a few threads in this forum section that can point you to the free assets. If you want to take the time to learn how to render in 3D that is.

D

Deleted member 1063287

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'm going to be checking out all of your suggestions since I'm currently in the planning phase.