Ren'Py Quick Time Events involving keyboard keys not working on Android Ports

Odlanier

Jun 23, 2020
QTEs involving keyboard keys are not functioning in android ports of RenPy games even if a physical or bluetooth keyboard is connected

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
QTEs involving keyboard keys are not functioning in android ports of RenPy games even if a physical or bluetooth keyboard is connected
That they don't works is half surprising.
Ren'py limitations regarding keyboard input on Android is supposed to regard entries that rely on completion. This imply that key isn't explicitly said as not working (at least on the Android page of the doc). But I guess this apply only to the effective text input, and that other kind of inputs are just disabled.

But that it don't works even with a physical keyboard is totally expected.
Ren'py will not start to investigate the system in order to know what kind of device(s) is or not connected to it. Either the keyboard input works, and it will works whatever the "keyboard" (physical, virtual, voice translation, etc), or the keyboard input don't works and, once again, this will apply whatever the "keyboard".

Reactions: Odlanier

Odlanier

Jun 23, 2020
That they don't works is half surprising.
Ren'py limitations regarding keyboard input on Android is supposed to regard entries that rely on completion. This imply that key isn't explicitly said as not working (at least on the Android page of th e doc). But I guess this apply only to the effective text input, and that other kind of inputs are just disabled.

But that it don't works even with a physical keyboard is totally expected.
Ren'py will not start to investigate the system in order to know what kind of device(s) is or not connected to it. Either the keyboard input works, and it will works whatever the "keyboard" (physical, virtual, voice translation, etc), or the keyboard input don't works and, once again, this will apply whatever the "keyboard".
But the anomaly is that the arrow keys & keys assigned for self voicing(v), snapshot(s), accessibility features (a) etc which carry out RenPy functions are working normally. Thus mini games involving arrow keys as in Brawler of Being a DIK are working without a hitch

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
But the anomaly is that the arrow keys & keys assigned for self voicing(v), [...]
What kind of reassure me. As I said, that it wasn't working at all was half surprising.

This being said, it then point in the direction of the game itself as culprit. I don't know how it handle the inputs for its QTE, but it's clearly not the right one. And, alas, except telling it to the dev, and asking him to make his game works properly on Android, I doubt that there's something you can do.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Odlanier