RANT - things that really put me off in games now...

Nov 9, 2017
I will agree on the false choice buttons. Some VN prompt you to pick a dialogue option or action out of a list of exactly one. That's not a choice, why did you bother making me click it? This doesn't qualify as interactivity.
The scary thing is that isn't just the product of games here. This was one of Yahtzee's rants regarding The World Ends With You that the solution was blindingly obvious but the game wouldn't let you do anything until you went somewhere else where the you were told the solution "This is not interactive storytelling, this is just reading."

For me there is what is I call the Monty Haul Syndrome which more often then not seems to have Moon Logic for a sibling. Do the wrong thing (with next to zero idea that it is the wrong thing) and it is either game over or your progress goes down the tubes.

Another peeve of mine is nonsensical needlessly drawn out grind. Yes the new town/new business plot device helps explain this but to have a difficult grind with no clue as what you should be doing to improve relations is annoying and aggravating if you are on a count down clock.

It doesn't help when things are nonsensical ie you live with your family but you have to build up their relation along with everybody else. Like what have you been doing for the last 18 some years?!? Ignoring them? At least the been away for family for a long time plot device addresses this but still.

Then there is the inconstant technology issue where technology you have access to has weird limitations ie you can connect to the parody of Ebay but you don't have access to a parody of Google/Yahoo/AOL epsecially if doing so would trim down the task you need to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: toolkitxx