VN - Ren'Py - Real Hotwives of Marbury Lane [v1.0] [Nextdoor Studio]

1. 2.00 star(s)

AMRFTY

Well, I guess someone has to be the first. And unlike Paul, I'm not cumming away with a smile on my face. Can't recommend this for both story and presentation.

STORY
    You’re the wife in a young, ambitious couple working at a big company. That company values it’s workers and as such, your CEO has you moving in the neighborhood with other high-ranking employees - Marbury Lane. All is well until an ulterior motive pops up, courtesy of the CEO and his wife. They would like to introduce you to the life of your wife being a hotwife.

With that, I’ve given about 40% of the game story away. This thing is flimsy for a $19 game - two choice moments, two endings. That would be forgivable if the journey to the choices and endings had meaning and made you feel something. And at times, to the writers credit, the couple feels remorse for their actions because they don’t line up with their current moral stance. But just as easy, it’s then hopped over to either go or leave the Hotwife lifestyle. This should be a corruption type tale, but believable corruption doesn’t happen overnight.

There’s also the little matter of consent. In other games of this developer, the wife clearly had intentions of trying something new. In this case, the couple is simply forced to break out of their beliefs and have their intimacy voided because the boss said so. This genre of games is far from moral high ground, but it speaks volumes that the developer didn’t care to build a more subtle trajectory. Hotwifing isn’t about cheating, it’s about allowing your partner to be free. Knowing they already did a game in this series that worked way better storywise, I’m not pleased with how this story is handled.

Since there is a bad and good ending, you do get one choice - to live happily in hotwife or to cheat until you divorce. But this couple had no intention of cheating, in fact - they actively moved from it. Thus, the story is about a corrupting boss that either ruins his workers or enslaves them into their cult thinking. You be the judge of what that means.

PRESENTATION
    Having played other Nextdoor games, I know their render style can be rough. This time however, looks to be the worst. In 2024, we still have grainy backdrops. We still have out of focus renders due to compression. We still have unrealistic or downright appalling facial stances on women. That could all be forgiven if the game was a passion project, but at $19.99 this is abysmal. You don’t need next level graphics, but at the very least they should not be a turnoff.

Marbury Lane - or what you get to see of it - looks okay. Some of the backdrops are thrown together in a way that makes this feel rushed or uninspired. I have no idea what went wrong here, but it’s nothing like Hotwives on Holiday. That game was rough to look at, but at least it gave you nice locations. This is all indoors and in the yard. It’s just not good enough, perhaps not even to download for free. It needs more work.

The developer made the effort to have speech narration in the game and honestly, I’m not a fan of it. It feels too dryly and doesn’t contain any character, almost like AI rendered speech. In a story about enticing, that doesn’t help. Music isn’t much either, so this is best played with sound off.

GAMEPLAY
    Nothing special here. You can ask a couple extra questions for throwaway lore, you get a sexual encounter per hotwife in the group and then you have two choices - ‘tell your partner the truth about the setup’ and ‘do you want to hotwife?’. Nothing special here, but I suppose it does the job

OVERALL
    It’s a nope. This developer can do far better and honestly, only downgraded from his previous games in terms of quality and writing. I liked Hotwives on Holiday because it was silly and that works best for this type of game. But this overly serious, too small attempt at corporate influence into personal pleasure doesn’t have the soul. I’d like to see the dev retry this game with more effort so that the story, characters and presentation all benefit from it.

4/10