Ren'Py - Refuge of Embers [v0.16a] [Escape Sauce]

1. 4.00 star(s)

Jaango

Game is worth playing. Hoping it will get more attention. Art syle is good it's well drawn. Story is not boring for a 2DCG game. Eryn is my fav girl. If you like to play 2DCG games give this one a try it's worth playing. But not that much content for now. Will keep an eye on this. Keep up the good work dev. Looking forward to next updates :coffee:
  2. 4.00 star(s)

primeumaton

0.08b version

Which character am I most interested in so far?

...So, there is barely content here. This is like almost a prologue.
    I really like the art and the clothing choice is constant tease, but... story is not there yet. So, slightly sister just because she has some character development.

Ya... that's it. Feels like 3 pages of a 300 page book. I'll come back later when more is here.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Z2

Well written and drawn, great action and storyline - would definitely be interested in seeing this one to the end, not sure if a harem option would work in this setting though it would be worth looking into
  4. 5.00 star(s)

jak1165

There really isn't much to comment on the game so far. Even for an early, alpha/demo. What story and dialogue exist seem to be fine. Again, not a lot there.

So why 5 stars? Simple - the Art is 5 stars on its own. One of the best games on this entire site that I've seen in that regard. This game deserves more attention. Download this game. Support the devs. One of the rare times its actually worth it
  5. 2.00 star(s)

Rutsah

Refuge of Embers is at the moment little more than a tech demo, showcasing absolutely gorgeous art by the creators. What little story there is, is about as basic as it goes, following the classic fantasy epic tropes to a fault. The dialogues (no 3rd person narration, you learn everything directly from the characters' perspective) are right in the uncunny valley of writing.

They read like the English dub of a B-tier anime, feeling quite unnatural and moving the conversations way too fast for my liking, while constantly shoving boobs in your face. If the game took itself less seriously and just embraced being an excuse for mindless fun that would be fine, but it's all played straight instead, a belief reienforced by the high-quality artstyle of the characters. The rapid pacing is gonna turn you off for fapping/schlicking, and at the same time the constant fanservice and immature dialogues are gonna diminish your interest in the story. The devs need to make a choice: Either the h-aspects or the story needs to come first, and the other can take a secondary role.

The quality of the artstyle also leaves me wondering if the devs will be able to keep this up for long, since Visual Novels typically have branching paths, meaning it's gonna take exponentially more work to progress the story. It's the reason most Visual Novels here, even amongst my favourites like Inertia, tend to be left in development hell. To be frank, at least at the moment, Refuge of Embers is a waste of art talent.

• Great art & animations, yaey!
    • Immature writing, takes you out of it.
    • Very little available content.
    Currently gets a thumbs down for a recommendation.
  6. 4.00 star(s)

Voccoro33

The game for my point of view is very very nice, excellent art, the dialogues makes sense, the improved and more detailed scenarios where the events take place, the new sprites and art in 0.7 update everything works properly the only thing that I object is the time between the updates just that, I really hope more eryn content...
    Nothing else to say....congrats to the dev and the talented artist :))
  7. 5.00 star(s)

moonkun

Refuge of Embers

Version reviewed: 0.06

Positives ;)
    • the incredibly detailed artwork, worldbuilding... it's an ambitious project
    • promising characters

YMMV :unsure:
    • it's still quite short and development feels a bit slow, likely due to how detailed everything is (I'm looking forward to what's coming, though!)

Negatives :rolleyes:
    • not enough Lena as of 0.06! (can't think of any real negatives (y))
  8. 5.00 star(s)

Reggie32

(V0.5 Review)

Honestly speaking, at the moment there’s not much in the way of ‘material’ . But it’s starts very strong and the art style is incredible. The dialogue is good and I had no problem getting into the narrative. There’s potential for a serious contender on this site and I’m looking forward to future updates.

I just hope for consistent, quality and strong updates to get this project off the ground. No problem supporting once I trust the process! Well Done
  9. 5.00 star(s)

LiptonDI

Really great artwork and character design, engaging start to the story, an interesting setting, for the moment likeable/lovable characters, but a bit too early for now to have a definitive opinion.

The relationships between characters seem to be believable and interesting. It's really great to have a fusional brother-sister relationship, rather than the boring typical bitchy/semi-dislike relationship that so many games portray.

The semi-medieval/fantasy setting is also nice and interesting and changes from the typical modern high school student living in a million-dollar home.

Really great potential, to see how the story develops.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

MAKROW

This game is all around extremely promising. The art is excellent, the premise is great, the writing is solid. This game has all the makings to be an amazing game. Hopefully it lives up to its potential, so far so good.
  11. 2.00 star(s)

shiite

It's a visual novel without any real choices
    (I looked in the renpy file to make sure) and, as of
    version 0.3, pretty much no content. I see entirely
    no point in submitting "a game" which takes
    10 minutes to finish. Th art is fine, though.
  12. 4.00 star(s)

rhev

v 0.03 (initial demo release) review

Well this game has immense promise. As of the current build there's really nothing to see except some absolutely gorgeous artwork. There's exactly one scene where a female character gets naked to bathe the MC, but that's it. Otherwise it's a bit of setup and plot building.

HOWEVER, the reason I'm giving it 4 stars based on the very short amount of content is what is there. The artwork is sublime, fantastic, gorgeous. We're not talking default hentai here, but artwork you actually want to devour with your eyes. The grammar was on point and the dialogue all seemed very appropriate for the characters.

I only noticed one single error in the very short playthrough, when an NPC called my character by the default MC name and not the custom one that I'd input.

I think this game, if it continues to build, will easily be a 5/5 game, and I'd suggest checking it out. I'll give it another look and maybe re-review in a year or so, depending on how frequently it updates.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

Stonerbank

This game has a very promising start! While it is very short right now (under 10 minutes if you read everything), the grammar is perfect which is rare to find. I can't say anything about the story yet, but the handful of characters we see seem to have their own distinct and generally enjoyable personalities and the art is unique and overall well done. Looking forward to the progression of this game.
  14. 4.00 star(s)

RanchFTW

Excellent start for the game. There is no sexual content yet, however the seeds have been planted and now it's going to just take a few updates. I like the setting, the interactions between the siblings, and all the girls so far. Right now I'm not sure it's worth trying, but what is in this initial release is good. The art and story are well done so far. I gave it 4 stars for the effort put in and the potential I believe is there.