Unity - Remains of a Paradise [Early Demo] [Lost Paradise Games]

1. 4.00 star(s)

Ai Shoujo Fan

Remains of a Paradise Early Demo

I enjoyed this demo. Instead of being a tech demo where the developer just threw out a few models, cheap/free assets, WASD movement, and FPS camera (all of which can take only a day to add), it felt like an actual unique game with a lot of passion and individual creativity. It was unique and interesting. But it did have a lot of flaws.

Feedback - When the first chapter starts, there is no time to read the story synopsis before the game starts.

Feedback - If I have the game window a certain size (custom size) and then play the game, the game window resizes itself automatically to something else, probably some supported window size. It would be nice to have the game ALWAYS stay the same size and position and not change after you leave Main Menu to go into the game or any other time like when going to a different game map destination.

Feedback - There is screen tearing on Optimal. Sadly, there is a tiny bit of lag on Optimal too, but not really noticeable. That's playing on a GTX 1650, i5-9300H, 16 GB RAM laptop using external GPU and 1600x900 game resolution on a 1600x900 selected desktop resolution. I've played intensive AAA game titles before without problems so it makes me think that this short game Demo isn't as optimized as it could be.

Feedback - High and Very High are unplayable not only because of extreme lag but because the mouse speed is so much faster than it is on Optimal to the point where the game is not at all playable on those two modes.

Feedback - To give the game more polish, someone should proofread the dialogue and give it end of sentence punctuation and things like that.

Feedback - I like the female voice acting, but when the dialogue switches to that of the male character it's so silent and there is also no way to change the dialogue speed of when the male player character talks. It would be nice if I could respond using the spacebar key so I can take the time to read what I am saying and so I can interact in the game some more. Maybe divide the main character's dialogue into three different sentences so the player has to press the spacebar three times before the female character starts talking.

Feedback - It would be nice to be able to do more things than just walk around in the house. Like when the female is sitting on the kitchen floor, it would be nice to be able to crouch and get a good look at her. Crouching, kicking, and jogging is enabled outside the house. Can't crouching be enable inside the house too?

Feedback - When outside, jogging seems only marginally faster than walking and the jogging animation is horrible. That animation can definitely be improved. Walking is too slow. Jogging is too slow. Both are too slow. It makes the game feel low quality and noobish when you have characters moving that slow.

Feedback - Why does blocking drain stamina so fast? In most games I played, hitting and jogging drained stamina, but not blocking.

Feedback - For some reason why fighting my first zombie, a part of my stamina meter turned yellow and so my max stamina became even smaller. I think that this is a stupid and aggravatring feature. We are already burdened by extremely fast stamina drainage and now you want to make it so the max stamina gets smaller and smaller? I don't feel like starting the game over to find out why my stamina meter turned partly yellow. My guess is because I tried attacking or defending while my stamina was completely empty. That's something you should have taught us in the tutorial, not in actual combat. Another thing is the tutorial should say how to make the yellow on the stamina meter turn blue again.

Feedback - I had put the gun away and was using the bat when I got cornered by two runners and a fast crawler that I forgot to kill earlier. I was swinging with my bat with only 60% max stamina and ran out of stamina fast. The second time around, I had the gun ready and had already killed the crawler, so it was easy and I had 4 bullets to spare. I do think that it would have been better to have been prepared for the runners instead of catching us off guard like that and forcing most players to die once. Most games start of easy and then get progressively hard instead of just abrupt difficulty changes like that.

Feedback - The girl looked better clothed than she looked naked (her skin was so gross and pale it looked like she was a living zombie) and the sex scene was lame and not as great as I hoped. In fact, the demo/game would have been so much better if there was build up. Like some conversation. Spy on her in the shower or bedroom. Sleep a night or two. Instead of just diving into sex as soon as he comes back. Which makes me think this demo is completed and it will never evolve past that. Instead of being a demo, it's actually a short completed game is what I am thinking.

Feedback - I think that most female of any age in the present day would not call zombies "Z's". But okay.