Daz Render good and fast with Iray

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
No 3-points lights, no ghostlights, no blabla; should be around ~15min render on a 2070 \o/

1. Download a bunch of different HDRI :

Not all of them, those generaly used for portraiture :

And so on.
If it looks like this, you're good to go :

IBL.png

In short, main lights will create shadow but not neutral one (while still bringing light).
"Photographic panorama" ones can work too, but they have generally too much imbalance for interior shot, it's russian roulette. In my experience simple IBL just work better.

Adjust your light by adding a spolight (geometry->rectangle)/pointlight(geometry->sphere) or two here and there.
If Hdri is the main course, those well placed spotlights bring the fine wine o/

2. Download an Iray interior cam :

It's a camera mounted with 5 Iray planes (top, bottom, rear left, right) that will 'slice' everything behind them, and permit huge amount of light from the HDRI to enter, also reducing drastically the number of light bounces. So if you are making a game or stuck into CPU rendering, look at this asap imo.

Place the camera where you want the light to enter.
Scene with/without Iray interior cam :

DAZStudio_PvntnGQruJ.png

You don't always want all the 5 planes, for interior shot, most of the time you'll hide the top (and bottom) one.
You also generally don't want to shot with the Iray interior cam itself.

3. Camera is bread and butter of a good shot imo
I use this one since forever :

It's fast and effective, don't care for the rest.
Remember the more you push mm, more you fuck up perspective (lot of fun to have tho) :

E2XWjaXVoAQRa96.png

4. Compostion is also key imo.
Visually divide your render in three part : foreground (goes darker)/midground/background(goes lighter).
Not an absolute rule imo, but should go like this most of the time.

Use of 'pratical' lights (as opposed to 'real' source of light) just to trick the brain, it's cheap and effective :

pythonw_ijmCiYXFPx.png

And that's basically it o/

Last edited:

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Just to add to all this.

If you want to use the iray cam indoors, go here

And pick your HDRI, meaning, if its a bathroom scene try and find a bathroom HDRI, don't always work but its a good starting point.

Sometimes when you get the HDRI in a good spot a wall will be too bright, in the surfaces tab if you change the overlay colour from white to a grey usually fixes that.

And finally, the best thing to use in conjunction with the iray cam

It don't matter if you are in a normal camera or perspective it still works. So you can set up your scene and get it right in perspective, select the iray cam in the scene tab and run the script.

The whole thing with the iray cam, it will either work for your scene or it wont, I personall find it handy rather than something I use regularly.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Just to add to all this.

If you want to use the iray cam indoors, go here

And pick your HDRI, meaning, if its a bathroom scene try and find a bathroom HDRI, don't always work but its a good starting point.

Sometimes when you get the HDRI in a good spot a wall will be too bright, in the surfaces tab if you change the overlay colour from white to a grey usually fixes that.

And finally, the best thing to use in conjunction with the iray cam

It don't matter if you are in a normal camera or perspective it still works. So you can set up your scene and get it right in perspective, select the iray cam in the scene tab and run the script.

The whole thing with the iray cam, it will either work for your scene or it wont, I personall find it handy rather than something I use regularly.
Meh.

Goal here is to go as fast as possible. Picking a panoramic HDRI - you'll have to correct nine out of ten (ev, exposure and so on) - is already losing fair and precious amount of time. A simple IBL will bring lights just fine, no need to fix what's not broken.

Also don't shot with your hdri cam, it's bad habit imo. Think of of it as a spotlight on steroïd, not as a camera.

Last edited:

Queen Rat

Jul 5, 2021
Thank you so much for posting this, I've been dabbling with Daz for a couple of months now and have tried all kinds of lighting tricks to make my renders look better (with mixed success). I'll definitely give this a go, some of the concepts are new to me, but I guess figuring it out is the best way to learn.

I have one question for now - would you use the same procedure when focusing on something in the room (a character, for instance), or would you add more lights to illuminate the subject?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Always, always focus on your subject. It's the star of the show.
Bring eveything it need.
100% wrong but the rest can go to hell.

But more serioulsy just adjust here and there (those are portaiture hdri, you shoudn't be that far away).

Last edited: