Daz Render quality and time questions

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
1h10 on this and no one bat an eye.
I wonder if too much ray bounce could explain the difference between the time needed and the grainy result.

Many metallic parts, plus the center one, that seem both transparent and curved, and is fully reflective, showing the long corridor, with so many emitting surfaces, that is behind the scene.

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
1h10 on this and no one bat an eye.
Fucking lmao.
I'm in my own little hell involving dForce and the Timeline right now....

But last night I ran a test on that Bio Suit asset and I downloaded it and then took the basic white texture that it came with and dropped it into Photoshop.

First of all, the texture was 8182 x 8182 ! Like, why?! So I halved it to 4091 x 4091. Then I added a new layer and did a simple filter magic thing of two colors --> cloud diffuse __> glass using the little microbubbles. I changed the color to a silver and got the render below. It took 4 mins - on CPU! My vid card basically runs my monitors, that's it. I've done over a thousand 1080p renders for my project on CPU alone in the last 3 months.

My second example below is I took a shader from package, which I got because I needed a fishnet texture for something a while back ... don't ask ... but I just picked a random leather type texture, orange color and ran it in 4 mins and 4 secs...

They both hit 100% convergence in apx 480 samples. I dropped them in my Intel Denoiser GUI (7 secs per render) and just did a simple Unsharp mask in PS and saved them as jpegs (131k with no visible loss)

Honestly, for the OP's original scene... I'd never do it in one shot. I'd layer it... background, tank thingy and then the figures in the foreground. You don;t want "Real lighting" .. u want controllable lighting ;) What i mean is, I can light the background to it's best presentation. Then i can do all sorts of funky stuff on the glass tank, without messing up the background. Then i can finally get the characters the way i like. I also can put a fake depth of field effect just by blurring the layers. So much easier than doing it through the camera with DAZ. Sure, if i had a 4090, I'd probably just compose a scene and run it... but in my situation I had to learn how to optimize my resources and - most importantly - time.

bio_suit_silver_4_min_intel_denoised.jpg
bio_suit_orange_4_min_intel_denoised.jpg

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Well, big scenes usually take time.
So what you do?
1) you will have several scenes of that asset but each has only items for that camera view.
So i am using FG Office. And if i render everything with 1 figure it will take about 1h to 1,5.
Disclaimer. I did not use any lights just what the asset has which is bad. So i essentially have mesh lights right now.
2) but with each shot of that office where only have the items for that particular scene, it will help to reduce the time. But, you need to use actual lights instead of mesh lights.
3 ) You can use sprites instead of putting in the scene. Thought that takes practice to get the lighting right.
4) use the https://f95zone.to/threads/scene-optimizer-mar-2019.9973/ this to reduce the size of the textures that don't need to be high resolution.

There are many ways to do.

Though with just CPU, i have a Ryzen 5, it will take for...ever... Rather spend $400 Dollars on a Gforce RTX6030.
I thought OP had a Nvidia card.

Anyway thats how i usually do it. Though renders can and do take a long time.

btw,. i usually do in one shot if i can. Some swear on doing post work. Though i find it easier to do it in one shot. But i usually render over night so i don't care.

Forgot to mention. I usually use primitives since they are build in and don't cost a thing. They very effective and easy to use. You got your Ghostlight build in DAZ. That usually helps.
Though, i don't like scenes where the light flushes like an atomic blast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turning Tricks

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I wonder if too much ray bounce could explain the difference between the time needed and the grainy result.

Many metallic parts, plus the center one, that seem both transparent and curved, and is fully reflective, showing the long corridor, with so many emitting surfaces, that is behind the scene.
Hundred per cent.

People will crank every render setting in the most absurd way, before thinking "Wait, wtf I do render in fact?"
Most of us learned the hard way with extremely tiny time window and crappy GPU, so can't really blame people who brute force their way (load asset, click button).

That said, it's a VN business, you will need those 300 renders more likely for yersterday. Common sense will hit you sooner or later. Better understanding of your surfaces = massive win in the long game (whatever engine).

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Common sense will hit you sooner or later. Better understanding of your surfaces = massive win in the long game (whatever engine).
In the present case, I really doubt that the surface needs to be emitting in this render. It's a reflection, therefore the lights in this corridor only impact the colors ; it's too small and blurry for the shadow to be seen. Having those surfaces non emitting, and with a lighter color, would give a reflection similar at 99%.
And even this would be for pure personal satisfaction, because 99% of the players will not even notice that there's a reflection.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
In the present case, I really doubt that the surface needs to be emitting in this render. It's a reflection, therefore the lights in this corridor only impact the colors ; it's too small and blurry for the shadow to be seen. Having those surfaces non emitting, and with a lighter color, would give a reflection similar at 99%.
And even this would be for pure personal satisfaction, because 99% of the players will not even notice that there's a reflection.
It's hard to answer as I would 'shot' a drasticaly different scene.
First thing you should go, ihmo, is 'wow, wait a minute', every single surfaces is reflective.
Then you got (light source) emissives everywhere close to it (far I remember).

Should ring bells.
Where my reflections are needed? (and more important where they are not?).
Where can I make the cut and how?

Last edited: